Senate Passes Bill Making Daylight Savings Time Permanent

bravoactual

bravoactual
Dec 5, 2011
Sausalito, CA
WASHINGTON ― In a surprise move on Tuesday, the Senate passed legislation making daylight saving time, which began this week, permanent for the entire United States.

The bill, titled the “Sunshine Protection Act,” was co-sponsored by Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.). It passed unanimously.

Rubio cited increased heart attacks and car accidents during standard time as reasons the country should do away with clock-switching, in addition to people enjoying more sunlight at the end of the day for things like sports.

Pardon the pun, but this is an idea whose time has come,” Rubio said Tuesday as he asked the Senate to pass the bill.

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), who was presiding over the chamber at the time, whispered, “Yes,” and pumped her fists after no senator objected. Arizona does not observe daylight saving time.

Personally, its about fucking time. The House has to pass it.

I really the change to Daylight Time when I was at the Pentagon TeleCommunications Center. That extra hour was killer. I used pay guy $20.00 (the going rate at the time) to take my shift.

Only problem is now, on the East Coast, dawn in December won't happen until 8:00AM. Not good for school kids waiting for the bus, just sayin'.
So fucking what!
Now they can play outside for longer hours.

Only problem is now, on the East Coast, dawn in December won't happen until 8:00AM. Not good for school kids waiting for the bus, just sayin'.
Whats the difference? Dark at the bus stop in the morning with DLS time or dark at the the bus stop in the afternoon under standard time. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I prefer the daylight in the afternoon.

WASHINGTON ― In a surprise move on Tuesday, the Senate passed legislation making daylight saving time, which began this week, permanent for the entire United States.

The bill, titled the “Sunshine Protection Act,” was co-sponsored by Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.). It passed unanimously.

Rubio cited increased heart attacks and car accidents during standard time as reasons the country should do away with clock-switching, in addition to people enjoying more sunlight at the end of the day for things like sports.

Pardon the pun, but this is an idea whose time has come,” Rubio said Tuesday as he asked the Senate to pass the bill.

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), who was presiding over the chamber at the time, whispered, “Yes,” and pumped her fists after no senator objected. Arizona does not observe daylight saving time.

What a beautiful thing to see. Of course, it only happened because there are no pro-time change lobbyists bribing our officials.

Whats the difference? Dark at the bus stop in the morning with DLS time or dark at the the bus stop in the afternoon under standard time. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I prefer the daylight in the afternoon.
Well not really. Most schools in the U.S. dismiss between 3 & 4 PM. So unless the school bus routes are in Barrow, Alaska being dark when the buses run isn't really an issue.

Nice!

The Legislation has passed in the Congress, meaning it goes Biden's desk and once he sighn's it, no more changing your clocks.

I've seen where it has passed the Senate, not the House. You have info I have not seen?

Well not really. Most schools in the U.S. dismiss between 3 & 4 PM. So unless the school bus routes are in Barrow, Alaska being dark when the buses run isn't really an issue.
You must live in a southern-tier state. Here in WA on Dec. 20 it was dark at 3:45 during PST. It has been this way every year that I've lived here since 2008. It is definitely an issue.

Forum List

Back