Senate approves bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday.....Perhaps an amendment is needed to let them riot and loot on the 19th?

The Purge

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2018
Makes me warm all over!

The Senate passed a bill Tuesday that would make Juneteenth, or June 19th, a federal holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States.

The bill would lead to Juneteenth becoming the 12th federal holiday. It is expected to easily pass the House, which would send it to President Joe Biden for his signature. […]

“Making Juneteenth a federal holiday is a major step forward to recognize the wrongs of the past,” said Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. “But we must continue to work to ensure equal justice and fulfill the promise of the Emancipation Proclamation and our Constitution.”

The Senate passed the bill under a unanimous consent agreement that expedites the process for considering legislation. It takes just one senator’s objection to block such agreements. …

(Excerpt) Read more at apnews.com ...

In today’s politically correct world, any who would oppose this would be condemned as racist. Hence the unanimous consent. Everyone is afraid to oppose this because the liberals and media would crucify them as bigots.

This is among the dumbest ideas.

"Juneteenth" was the day a Union General (a white man) told the slaves in Texas that Lincoln (another white man) had freed them a few years earlier with The Emancipation Proclamation. Freed on the back of hundreds-of-thousands of [white] Union soldiers.

That's it. Nothing more. It has nothing in fact to do with anything.

Celebrate The Emancipation Proclamation, make it a holiay? No.

Celebrate the Union Victory over the Confederacy, make it a holiday? No.

Instead, declare the most meaningless national holiday of Juneteenth so the bureaucrats can get another paid holiday. Dumb as shit.

Markey is a swine. From the OPs link:

“We have a long road towards racial justice in the United States and we cannot get there without acknowledging our nation’s original sin of slavery. It is long past time to make Juneteenth a federal holiday.”

Slavery existed throughout human history, thousands of years before America was founded. Calling it our "original sin" is the most asinine thing possible. It is in fact driven by hatred of America and making it out as if slavery originated here.

This is damnable.

The Democrats continue to divide us.

Fuck juneteenth.

Let Schumer invite a bunch of bleeding heart dems, and BLM scumbags, to his house. They can celebrate their fucking worthless 'holiay' there. Don't force this stupid shit on the rest of us.

A day to celebrate when enslaved Americans learned that they were free enriches us all. I cannot begin to imagine what it was like for a woman accustomed to scrub the laundry every day with no hope of a better life and no hope for her children, just a beating if she didn't do it, to finally be told that she was free.

Women who kept going throughout these horrible circumstances are the heroes of the human race.

I’ve been marking that date (June 19) for 35 years now because it was the date that a local sports hero died of a cocaine overdose the day after he was drafted as the #2 overall pick in the 1986 NBA draft.
Len Bias.
Think of the heartbreak his parents felt.
And he had a dad. I met and talked with his dad while Len was Maryland b-ball star.
Len’s little brother, Jay, won the state basketball championship that Len’s team lost to my alma mater and my former high school coach on a buzzer-beater five years earlier. That little brother was later killed in a drive-by shooting in PG County, MD in 1993.
Imagine the heartbreak those parents went through — again.
That’s the June 19th I recognize.

Well as with everything else, let's make the most of it

Everyone march into your bosses office and demand the day off or at least paid holiday pay for the holiday coming up in 3 day, adding, "Now I know you are not a racist and support this holiday............."

A day to celebrate when enslaved Americans learned that they were free enriches us all. I cannot begin to imagine what it was like for a woman accustomed to scrub the laundry every day with no hope of a better life and no hope for her children, just a beating if she didn't do it, to finally be told that she was free.

Women who kept going throughout these horrible circumstances are the heroes of the human race.
What the post describes is most women everywhere at that epoch, and not so much less today. It could be said slavery applies to all.

So we’re celebrating white men freeing slaves from Democrats?

So we’re celebrating white men freeing slaves from Democrats?

No. We are celebrating the liberation of those unjustly held in captivity. This has absolutely nothing to do with any contentions between today's political parties. It is a brand new thing that a political party is now perceived as a personal enemy or an enemy of the nation we share. It never has been this way before. For instance, my father told me that he voted for Nixon the first time, but not the second. This is how it is supposed to go.

The Civil War was begun between two factions of white males, neither of which was acting for the express purpose of freeing people being held captive. These people had no voice.

Right-wingers never acknowledge the people in the middle who have no voice. Juneteenth is intended to recognize the joy that people held in captivity must have felt at hearing the cell door opening and finally walking out into the sunshine as free people.

We can all celebrate freedom, whether those surviving slavery or those who survived nazi death camps or all of those who survived attempts at enslavement and genocide. Millions across the world.

Right-wingers always argue over the heads of the people in the middle, like the game of monkey-in the-middle. The monkeys in thd middle are human beings who deserve to be heard.

Seems to me we oughta have federal holiday for the Native Americans too, they got screwed for 400 years and counting.
Fuck no! First off, ‘Native American’ is a misnomer. Anyone born in and living as an American in America is Native American.
Those indigenous peoples wiped out, exterminated every tribe before them. The ones afforded reservations by European Americans got off easy already.

Makes me warm all over!

The Senate passed a bill Tuesday that would make Juneteenth, or June 19th, a federal holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States.

The bill would lead to Juneteenth becoming the 12th federal holiday. It is expected to easily pass the House, which would send it to President Joe Biden for his signature. […]

“Making Juneteenth a federal holiday is a major step forward to recognize the wrongs of the past,” said Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. “But we must continue to work to ensure equal justice and fulfill the promise of the Emancipation Proclamation and our Constitution.”

The Senate passed the bill under a unanimous consent agreement that expedites the process for considering legislation. It takes just one senator’s objection to block such agreements. …

(Excerpt) Read more at apnews.com ...

In today’s politically correct world, any who would oppose this would be condemned as racist. Hence the unanimous consent. Everyone is afraid to oppose this because the liberals and media would crucify them as bigots.
All good-----June 19 is about the time that HIGH SCHOOL lets out for----summer-time-summer-time FREEDOM ........ uhm-----but will the post offices and banks be closed? how about the bars?

A day to celebrate when enslaved Americans learned that they were free enriches us all.

Most of them had already learned that they had been freed. This was particular to Texas.

The anniversary of The Emancipation Proclamation would serve as a better holiday than the idiotic-sounding "Juneteenth".

A day to celebrate when enslaved Americans learned that they were free enriches us all.

Most of them had already learned that they had been freed. This was particular to Texas.

The anniversary of The Emancipation Proclamation would serve as a better holiday than the idiotic-sounding "Juneteenth".
We’re talking about functional illiterates.

Senate approves bill to make Juneteenth a federal holiday.....​

You watch. No good will come of this. The day will just be used for more riots, looting and protests! It is just a backdoor way of justifying support for BLM.

Well, that's it then. Slavery ended, the fight is over, reparations are over, all is good and everyone should go back to their jobs!

Forum List

Back