Selma 50 yr anniversary thread

Selma is more significant than the Boston Tea Party that the right is always talking about
LOL......that's just a wee bit over the top. ...... :lol: :lol:

Not in the least

The Boston Tea Party protested a tax on tea that the colonists were unable to vote for

Selma was a protest against total disenfranchisement. Not just at the voting booth but in society as well

Southern blacks had is worse than American colonialists
The point is Conservatives see 'freedom' as purely economic freedom. Social freedom is up for grabs. If you're African American and seeking a job, fiscal Conservatives should have no problem. But social Conservatives stand by their sense of self righteousness and reserve their 'right' to deny both rights and history.

Incidentally, I visited Selma twenty years ago this week. It was Bridge Day 1995. It was festive, beautiful and entirely new to me. The parade had the best choreographed and musical high school bands in the Deep South. As a White guy, I was in a distinct minority. Me, the TV crew from Montgomery and two volunteers from the ACLU were the only European Americans in town.

The rest of the White folks were in Wal Mart that Saturday.

apparently social freedom is reserved only for the special victim class

As expected, you always manage to sink even beneath the level of your own abnormally low intelligence.

Social freedom is a right of every citizen in this country. But, it is up to the individual to reclaim it, if there is evidence of it being compromised. If you feel like yours is, get off of your lazy ass and do something about it, just as those who are being celebrated in Selma did 50 years ago.

Other than that, if you have nothing positive or of value to contribute to this thread, you should STFU.

He said it, you refuse to accept it!

Must be difficult going through life taking everything literally. People look at you like you are a fucking moron and laugh behind your back

Obama was referring to all blacks owing a debt of gratitude to Selma. He was not claiming to be born in Selma
That spammer has been an annoyance from day 1.

This thread was a great idea. Let the sour grapes wallow in their bitterness. My parents were there in 1965. If they were both here today they would be awed by the coverage.

You should be very proud of your parents
I absolutely am, and I also appreciate EVERY person who had the courage to be there during the worst of times.
Same here.

Selma is more significant than the Boston Tea Party that the right is always talking about

Not in the least

The Boston Tea Party protested a tax on tea that the colonists were unable to vote for

Selma was a protest against total disenfranchisement. Not just at the voting booth but in society as well

The point is Conservatives see 'freedom' as purely economic freedom. Social freedom is up for grabs. If you're African American and seeking a job, fiscal Conservatives should have no problem. But social Conservatives stand by their sense of self righteousness and reserve their 'right' to deny both rights and history.

Incidentally, I visited Selma twenty years ago this week. It was Bridge Day 1995. It was festive, beautiful and entirely new to me. The parade had the best choreographed and musical high school bands in the Deep South. As a White guy, I was in a distinct minority. Me, the TV crew from Montgomery and two volunteers from the ACLU were the only European Americans in town.

As expected, you always manage to sink even beneath the level of your own abnormally low intelligence.

Social freedom is a right of every citizen in this country. But, it is up to the individual to reclaim it, if there is evidence of it being compromised. If you feel like yours is, get off of your lazy ass and do something about it, just as those who are being celebrated in Selma did 50 years ago.

Other than that, if you have nothing positive or of value to contribute to this thread, you should STFU.
Thats his M.O. to parrot rw nonsense & hate.

As to the OP: I agree that the people who were there that day 50 yrs ago are real heroes

Not in the least

Thats his M.O. to parrot rw nonsense & hate.

As to the OP: I agree that the people who were there that day 50 yrs ago are real heroes

how dare dem uppity crackaz express dey opinion

6a3c3d9f2cef828802c34786737ad0663f4e17e2b90480a5b3a7b114ad6f4841.jpg

Not in the least

so I guess you think your post was positive?

Not in the least

do you have anything to add concerning the OP Stephie? If not, :bye1:

It would have been hard for the marchers to fathom that one of their leaders who had his skull cracked by a State Trooper would become a respected Congressman and that a black President would speak at the 50th anniversary

Not in the least

you are being uppity, bow down cracka

Thank you

The people who celebrated the 50th anniversary commemorating the day when people stood up for civil rights, THAT WAS LONG OVERDUE MIND YOU, are to be lauded. There still remains much work to do/

Thank you

The people who celebrated the 50th anniversary commemorating the day when people stood up for civil rights, THAT WAS LONG OVERDUE MIND YOU, are to be lauded. There still remains much work to do/

The people who marched across that bridge were as much American Patriots as our founding fathers

Not in the least

The social Conservatives are claiming victim status. They believe they have a protected 'right' to discriminate because the Bible tells them so.

Not in the least

The social Conservatives are claiming victim status. They believe they have a protected 'right' to discriminate because the Bible tells them so.
It ain't easy being a white male these days. Everyone is picking on you

Forum List

Back