Sellers Miss the Boat on Black Friday

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
A very large part of the potential sales for America's businesses, is being lost by a fundamental miscalculation pertaining to Black Friday. The root of the problem may be that Black Friday is a creation of relatively young people (age 25 - 65), who are still in the workforce, and haven't yet experienced life in retirement.

If they had, they would know that a hearty 60% of America, has less than $1000 in the bank. This is even more true of senior citizens, who are living on Social Security and some (typically small) pension income.
These young decision makers may also be unaware that retired people generally receive all their income in the FIRST week of the month. Since these incomes are not too great in size, it is common that by the time the end of every month arrives, seniors have seen their monthly income dwindle to near nothing.

So when do they put Black Friday ? Right at the time when seniors are least able to go out and buy things, sale or no sale. If they were smarter, they would have Black Friday be around the 4th or 5th of the month, with Social Security payments typically arriving on the 3rd of the month. VA pensions arrive on the 1st.

So California no longer has black Friday. We have weekly sales and some on line only bargains.

A very large part of the potential sales for America's businesses, is being lost by a fundamental miscalculation pertaining to Black Friday. The root of the problem may be that Black Friday is a creation of relatively young people (age 25 - 65), who are still in the workforce, and haven't yet experienced life in retirement.

If they had, they would know that a hearty 60% of America, has less than $1000 in the bank. This is even more true of senior citizens, who are living on Social Security and some (typically small) pension income.
These young decision makers may also be unaware that retired people generally receive all their income in the FIRST week of the month. Since these incomes are not too great in size, it is common that by the time the end of every month arrives, seniors have seen their monthly income dwindle to near nothing.

So when do they put Black Friday ? Right at the time when seniors are least able to go out and buy things, sale or no sale. If they were smarter, they would have Black Friday be around the 4th or 5th of the month, with Social Security payments typically arriving on the 3rd of the month. VA pensions arrive on the 1st.
Then again hubby and I receive our social security check on the third Wednesday. The worse problem is now that inflation is so brutal that we buy very little that is not a necessity so the black Friday sales mostly don't help. However if we really do need something and it is on sale as a black Friday item, we do enjoy the sales.

It's that bad?

If people don't buy early for Xmas and then buy again and again, they don't love baby jesus.

Poverty is godly.

Then again hubby and I receive our social security check on the third Wednesday. The worse problem is now that inflation is so brutal that we buy very little that is not a necessity so the black Friday sales mostly don't help. However if we really do need something and it is on sale as a black Friday item, we do enjoy the sales.
I've lived in 4 states, and I've never heard of Social Security coming in on a 3rd Wednesday. OK. We learn something new every day.

I've lived in 4 states, and I've never heard of Social Security coming in on a 3rd Wednesday. OK. We learn something new every day.
Yes. All our family and friends over 65 receive our social security checks on different Wednesdays of the month. I will say the SSA has never failed to have that check in the bank for us on every third Wednesday though.

This article from US News explains it pretty well that checks are deposited on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Wednesdays. However I think checks are deposited on the first Wednesdays too. I think my Aunt Betty (age 95 and going strong) said she gets hers early in the month? I'll make a point to ask her.

Last edited:

Since these incomes are not too great in size, it is common that by the time the end of every month arrives, seniors have seen their monthly income dwindle to near nothing.

Credit cards still work at the end of the month.

Not to mention every retailer has been running black friday sales says the whole month of November, in store and online. Saw a 70"TV at Walmart in store for $398.
Yup.
I got me a new air fryer last week for less than 40 bucks. And its a good one.
Ordered my son some nike pullovers last week and saved about 25 bucks a piece.

Forum List

Back