Seen for the first time in a century: Mormon church releases photos of 'seer stone'

Mornonism = scientology but older, in level of seriousness.

A seer stone was used by some early-nineteenth-century Americans in attempt to gain revelations from God or to find or 'see' buried treasure. In the early 1820s, Joseph Smith was paid to act as a seer in attempts to locate lost items and precious metals in the earth and he was known to be gifted at finding lost objects.

The particular seer stone used to translate text that would become The Book of Mormon was found in 1819 after Joseph Smith borrowed a seer stone from a friend to find another whitish seer stone in an iron kettle 25 feet underground.

Mormons believe that 185 years ago, founder Joseph Smith found gold plates engraved with writing in ancient Egyptian in upstate New York. They say that God helped him translate the text using his favorite seer stone along with two white 'interpreter' stones he called he Urim and Thummim which were attached to the gold plates.

Smith would translate the text by putting the seer stone into a dark hat. It was said that after doing this he had the divine ability to see the words in English and translate the text.

I read stuff like that, then wonder; How the fuck do modern people fall for this utter fucking nonsense?! Does anyone, ANYONE, still use these stones?
no
why?
b/c man, decades upon decades ago, figured out these assholes where ripping them off.

Did Joseph Smith actually read secret writings that only he could read?
Of course he did......How do I know?
Because I have faith that he did

Did Moses actually part the Red Sea and lead the Jews to freedom?
Of course he did....How do I know?

Did Jesus really die on a cross and be ressurected three days later?
Of course he did....How do I know?
Then I want to be a Jew and only a Jew, b/c the bible says they are gods chosen people.
number one favorite humans.

the fact that history shows them as the worlds door mats is meaningless.

and

it's a rock

A seer stone was used by some early-nineteenth-century Americans in attempt to gain revelations from God or to find or 'see' buried treasure. In the early 1820s, Joseph Smith was paid to act as a seer in attempts to locate lost items and precious metals in the earth and he was known to be gifted at finding lost objects.

The particular seer stone used to translate text that would become The Book of Mormon was found in 1819 after Joseph Smith borrowed a seer stone from a friend to find another whitish seer stone in an iron kettle 25 feet underground.

Mormons believe that 185 years ago, founder Joseph Smith found gold plates engraved with writing in ancient Egyptian in upstate New York. They say that God helped him translate the text using his favorite seer stone along with two white 'interpreter' stones he called he Urim and Thummim which were attached to the gold plates.

Smith would translate the text by putting the seer stone into a dark hat. It was said that after doing this he had the divine ability to see the words in English and translate the text.

I read stuff like that, then wonder; How the fuck do modern people fall for this utter fucking nonsense?! Does anyone, ANYONE, still use these stones?
no
why?
b/c man, decades upon decades ago, figured out these assholes where ripping them off.

Out of respect for Avatar4321 and only for that reason I am going to bite my tongue. It shouldn't be hard to ascertain my opinion based upon that statement. Here is what I will say though. I will go on record to say that the world would be a better place if more people lived like Mormons. They have a great sense of family, their children get into far less trouble, their children are raised with a very solid theological foundation, they are fair, and they make God a part of their every day lives.

Now I totally disagree with their beliefs....in fact I find many of them completely insane (Sorry Avatar) but I don't see many Mormons like Koshergrl who insists you are going to hell if you wear a condom and judges based upon their interpretation of the Word. I have found few Mormons who insist that you are condemned to hell for simply disagreeing with them. There are those who do...and perhaps they do so in private....but from my experience...while I totally disagree with them on points of theology and how they go about converting...there are those who are far worse.

I am not sure the world would be a better place if we all converted to Mormonism, but I will suggest that it may be a better place if we all lived like them...to some extent at least. I can tell you some stories that would disprove that as well. :lol:
don't get me wrong

the people at Jamestown were nice people.

and it's a rock,
a
fucking
rock
that he used to translate a known language into english.

wanna impress the world?

cough up the gold tablets, we can easily translate them now

More than likely, there are no golden tablets. IMO, the story is just ridiculous. I do not know why people cling to these kinds of myths. Must be that they feel they need something to guide them through their lives, to make the right decisions.
There's things in every religion that any modern person, with a HS history education should raise an eyebrow to.

any magic like claims since the founding the country should be suspect
divining rods to find water-gold-gems-whatever
aliens in the sky
rocks in hats that translate golden text
:lol:

I know not everything is written in stone....

no really, gold is s soft metal a very expensive metal and would NEVER be used to make tablets. It's just absurd.

however, mormans do very well as a whole, so whatever they are doing should be copied.

but it's a rock

no
why?

Out of respect for Avatar4321 and only for that reason I am going to bite my tongue. It shouldn't be hard to ascertain my opinion based upon that statement. Here is what I will say though. I will go on record to say that the world would be a better place if more people lived like Mormons. They have a great sense of family, their children get into far less trouble, their children are raised with a very solid theological foundation, they are fair, and they make God a part of their every day lives.

Now I totally disagree with their beliefs....in fact I find many of them completely insane (Sorry Avatar) but I don't see many Mormons like Koshergrl who insists you are going to hell if you wear a condom and judges based upon their interpretation of the Word. I have found few Mormons who insist that you are condemned to hell for simply disagreeing with them. There are those who do...and perhaps they do so in private....but from my experience...while I totally disagree with them on points of theology and how they go about converting...there are those who are far worse.

I am not sure the world would be a better place if we all converted to Mormonism, but I will suggest that it may be a better place if we all lived like them...to some extent at least. I can tell you some stories that would disprove that as well. :lol:
don't get me wrong

the people at Jamestown were nice people.

and it's a rock,
a
fucking
rock
that he used to translate a known language into english.

wanna impress the world?

cough up the gold tablets, we can easily translate them now

More than likely, there are no golden tablets. IMO, the story is just ridiculous. I do not know why people cling to these kinds of myths. Must be that they feel they need something to guide them through their lives, to make the right decisions.

12 eye witnesses to the plates and the testimony of the Holy Spirit to those who humbly ask the Lord in faith.

If you want to know whether the Book of Mormon is true take the challenge and ask the Lord.
where are these plates?

If you want to know whether the Book of Mormon is true take the challenge and ask the Lord.
I did......and he told me it was a total fraud. ...... :cool:

Odd. I thought you claimed that Mohammad was the last man to speak with God.:)
No, silly, it was that woman who killed her children. God told her to do it.

God hates kids as much as RWs do.

I remember reading about a mother who put her baby in the oven in order to drive out satan. Not to mention what is done to children in the bible and of course, we've all seen child predators defended and "forgiven" by the phony christians here.

Thanks. Nice stones. They look like ordinary river stones. It doesn't matter if I believe the story behind them or not, the important thing is that Mormons do. To each according to his belief.

Exactly. If their faith gives them solace in this world who am I to try and take it away from them?

As long as they keep it to themselves and stay off my front porch, I agree.

But they don't.

Thanks. Nice stones. They look like ordinary river stones. It doesn't matter if I believe the story behind them or not, the important thing is that Mormons do. To each according to his belief.

Exactly. If their faith gives them solace in this world who am I to try and take it away from them?

But they don't.

I don't mind if they talk about it. They do visit my door from time to time but I politely tell them I am gay and they usually move along rather quickly. lol.

But they don't.

I don't mind if they talk about it. They do visit my door from time to time but I politely tell them I am gay and they usually move along rather quickly. lol.
Popping a couple of beers open works too...

Revelation 2:17
17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

D&C 130:6-11
6 The angels do not reside on a planet like this earth;

7 But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord.

8 The place where God resides is a great Urim and Thummim.

9 This earth, in its sanctified and immortal state, will be made like unto crystal and will be a Urim and Thummim to the inhabitants who dwell thereon, whereby all things pertaining to an inferior kingdom, or all kingdoms of a lower order, will be manifest to those who dwell on it; and this earth will be Christ’s.

10 Then the white stone mentioned in Revelation 2:17, will become a Urim and Thummim to each individual who receives one, whereby things pertaining to a higher order of kingdoms will be made known;

11 And a white stone is given to each of those who come into the celestial kingdom, whereon is a new name written, which no man knoweth save he that receiveth it. The new name is the key word.

Forum List

Back