Seen for the first time in a century: Mormon church releases photos of 'seer stone'

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
But only Joseph Smith could read it.

Mormon church releases photos of seer stone used by founder Joseph Smith Daily Mail Online

[
tumblr_mq1jo57hXL1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

Thanks. Nice stones. They look like ordinary river stones. It doesn't matter if I believe the story behind them or not, the important thing is that Mormons do. To each according to his belief.

Thanks. Nice stones. They look like ordinary river stones. It doesn't matter if I believe the story behind them or not, the important thing is that Mormons do. To each according to his belief.

Exactly. If their faith gives them solace in this world who am I to try and take it away from them?

Exactly. If their faith gives them solace in this world who am I to try and take it away from them?
Absolutely!

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
The rock wasn't translated you dummies. The stones were placed in a hat so Joseph Smith could translate the gold plates.

If you're gonna mock a religion, at least get the basic facts straight.

The rock wasn't translated you dummies. The stones were placed in a hat so Joseph Smith could translate the gold plates.

If you're gonna mock a religion, at least get the basic facts straight.
How about addressing the particular poster you have issue with… or is it easier just applying the umbrella method?

While I'm skeptical of the entire Mormon beliefs I know some Mormons and they are fine upstanding people. Same goes for Jehovah Witnesses.

In the LDS scriptures we find under the Bible Dictionary the following:

Urim and Thummim

Hebrew term that means “Lights and Perfections.” An instrument prepared of God to assist man in obtaining revelation from the Lord and in translating languages. See Ex. 28:30; Lev. 8:8; Num. 27:21; Deut. 33:8; 1 Sam. 28:6; Ezra 2:63; Neh. 7:65; JS—H 1:35.

Using a Urim and Thummim is the special prerogative of a seer, and it would seem reasonable that such instruments were used from the time of Adam. However, the earliest mention is in connection with the brother of Jared (Ether 3:21–28). Abraham used a Urim and Thummim (Abr. 3:1–4), as did Aaron and the priests of Israel, and also the prophets among the Nephites (Omni 1:20–21; Mosiah 8:13–19; 21:26–28; 28:11–20; Ether 4:1–7). There is more than one Urim and Thummim, but we are informed that Joseph Smith had the one used by the brother of Jared (Ether 3:22–28; D&C 10:1; 17:1). (See Seer.) A partial description is given in JS—H 1:35. Joseph Smith used it in translating the Book of Mormon and in obtaining other revelations.

This earth in its celestial condition will be a Urim and Thummim, and many within that kingdom will have an additional Urim and Thummim (D&C 130:6–11).

Forum List

Back