Seen for the first time in a century: Mormon church releases photos of 'seer stone'

A seer stone was used by some early-nineteenth-century Americans in attempt to gain revelations from God or to find or 'see' buried treasure. In the early 1820s, Joseph Smith was paid to act as a seer in attempts to locate lost items and precious metals in the earth and he was known to be gifted at finding lost objects.

The particular seer stone used to translate text that would become The Book of Mormon was found in 1819 after Joseph Smith borrowed a seer stone from a friend to find another whitish seer stone in an iron kettle 25 feet underground.

Mormons believe that 185 years ago, founder Joseph Smith found gold plates engraved with writing in ancient Egyptian in upstate New York. They say that God helped him translate the text using his favorite seer stone along with two white 'interpreter' stones he called he Urim and Thummim which were attached to the gold plates.

Smith would translate the text by putting the seer stone into a dark hat. It was said that after doing this he had the divine ability to see the words in English and translate the text.

I read stuff like that, then wonder; How the fuck do modern people fall for this utter fucking nonsense?! Does anyone, ANYONE, still use these stones?
no
why?
b/c man, decades upon decades ago, figured out these assholes where ripping them off.

Seen for the first time in a century: Mormon church releases photos of 'seer stone'

You can only view it in your Magic Underwear™

A seer stone was used by some early-nineteenth-century Americans in attempt to gain revelations from God or to find or 'see' buried treasure. In the early 1820s, Joseph Smith was paid to act as a seer in attempts to locate lost items and precious metals in the earth and he was known to be gifted at finding lost objects.

The particular seer stone used to translate text that would become The Book of Mormon was found in 1819 after Joseph Smith borrowed a seer stone from a friend to find another whitish seer stone in an iron kettle 25 feet underground.

Mormons believe that 185 years ago, founder Joseph Smith found gold plates engraved with writing in ancient Egyptian in upstate New York. They say that God helped him translate the text using his favorite seer stone along with two white 'interpreter' stones he called he Urim and Thummim which were attached to the gold plates.

Smith would translate the text by putting the seer stone into a dark hat. It was said that after doing this he had the divine ability to see the words in English and translate the text.

I read stuff like that, then wonder; How the fuck do modern people fall for this utter fucking nonsense?! Does anyone, ANYONE, still use these stones?
no
why?
b/c man, decades upon decades ago, figured out these assholes where ripping them off.

Out of respect for Avatar4321 and only for that reason I am going to bite my tongue. It shouldn't be hard to ascertain my opinion based upon that statement. Here is what I will say though. I will go on record to say that the world would be a better place if more people lived like Mormons. They have a great sense of family, their children get into far less trouble, their children are raised with a very solid theological foundation, they are fair, and they make God a part of their every day lives.

Now I totally disagree with their beliefs....in fact I find many of them completely insane (Sorry Avatar) but I don't see many Mormons like Koshergrl who insists you are going to hell if you wear a condom and judges based upon their interpretation of the Word. I have found few Mormons who insist that you are condemned to hell for simply disagreeing with them. There are those who do...and perhaps they do so in private....but from my experience...while I totally disagree with them on points of theology and how they go about converting...there are those who are far worse.

I am not sure the world would be a better place if we all converted to Mormonism, but I will suggest that it may be a better place if we all lived like them...to some extent at least. I can tell you some stories that would disprove that as well. :lol:

Whatever path you choose is a personal choice.

Exactly. I am sensing there is more to this story. I mean someone doesn't just randomly bring up ass licking and God in the same sentence without there being some history. :lol: There is clearly more going on here than I know about, but you know...why get wrapped up in the drama, Gracie? We all have our "things". I have my "things", you have your "things", and you have made it abundantly clear that Bonzi has her "things" as well. Message sent and received. For me...it's between her and God and she is still my sis. I don't judge.

So...we good?

Yes, you and I are good.

I didn't just bring that up out of my hat, BP. She did it all herself in threads. Her words. She can own them instead of blaming it on booze.

no
why?

Out of respect for Avatar4321 and only for that reason I am going to bite my tongue. It shouldn't be hard to ascertain my opinion based upon that statement. Here is what I will say though. I will go on record to say that the world would be a better place if more people lived like Mormons. They have a great sense of family, their children get into far less trouble, their children are raised with a very solid theological foundation, they are fair, and they make God a part of their every day lives.

Now I totally disagree with their beliefs....in fact I find many of them completely insane (Sorry Avatar) but I don't see many Mormons like Koshergrl who insists you are going to hell if you wear a condom and judges based upon their interpretation of the Word. I have found few Mormons who insist that you are condemned to hell for simply disagreeing with them. There are those who do...and perhaps they do so in private....but from my experience...while I totally disagree with them on points of theology and how they go about converting...there are those who are far worse.

I am not sure the world would be a better place if we all converted to Mormonism, but I will suggest that it may be a better place if we all lived like them...to some extent at least. I can tell you some stories that would disprove that as well. :lol:
don't get me wrong

the people at Jamestown were nice people.

and it's a rock,
a
fucking
rock
that he used to translate a known language into english.

wanna impress the world?

cough up the gold tablets, we can easily translate them now

no
why?

Did Joseph Smith actually read secret writings that only he could read?
Of course he did......How do I know?
Because I have faith that he did

Did Moses actually part the Red Sea and lead the Jews to freedom?
Of course he did....How do I know?

Did Jesus really die on a cross and be ressurected three days later?
Of course he did....How do I know?

no
why?

don't get me wrong

and it's a rock,
a
fucking
rock

wanna impress the world?

More than likely, there are no golden tablets. IMO, the story is just ridiculous. I do not know why people cling to these kinds of myths. Must be that they feel they need something to guide them through their lives, to make the right decisions.

no
why?

don't get me wrong

and it's a rock,
a
fucking
rock

wanna impress the world?

More than likely, there are no golden tablets. IMO, the story is just ridiculous. I do not know why people cling to these kinds of myths. Must be that they feel they need something to guide them through their lives, to make the right decisions.

12 eye witnesses to the plates and the testimony of the Holy Spirit to those who humbly ask the Lord in faith.

If you want to know whether the Book of Mormon is true take the challenge and ask the Lord.

no
why?

I look forward to seeing you apologize to Sunni Man while next bashing Muslims in some thread.

no
why?

don't get me wrong

and it's a rock,
a
fucking
rock

wanna impress the world?

12 eye witnesses to the plates and the testimony of the Holy Spirit to those who humbly ask the Lord in faith.

If you want to know whether the Book of Mormon is true take the challenge and ask the Lord.
You wouldn't believe 12 witnesses to events surrounding Benghazi because you think they have an agenda, but you willingly swallow the account of 12 uneducated, un-vetted strangers who tell you a fairy tale.

Too funny.

If the Book of Mormon is so funny what does it hurt to read it and take the challenge?

no
why?

don't get me wrong

and it's a rock,
a
fucking
rock

wanna impress the world?

You wouldn't believe 12 witnesses to events surrounding Benghazi because you think they have an agenda, but you willingly swallow the account of 12 uneducated, un-vetted strangers who tell you a fairy tale.

Too funny.

Considering the witnesses to benghazi make the president look bad and i don't have a problem with them what on earth is your point?

And I would also wonder how many unvetted strangers go to great lengths, even death, to affirm their testimony. See the witnesses aren't strangers to me. I've studied their lives. I doubt you even know their names unless you look it up.

Considering the witnesses to benghazi make the president look bad and i don't have a problem with them what on earth is your point?
False. Your type has made claims that there was a stand down order and it has been debunked and denied by the commanders on the ground and in the higher ranks.

Yet you continue to lie about it.

don't get me wrong

and it's a rock,
a
fucking
rock

wanna impress the world?

Too funny.

And I would also wonder how many unvetted strangers go to great lengths, even death, to affirm their testimony. See the witnesses aren't strangers to me. I've studied their lives. I doubt you even know their names unless you look it up.
We just saw a guy bring a toy gun and a hatchet to a movie theater, getting himself shot to death.

Mental illness makes people of weak mind and spirit do all sorts of perilous things.

If someone tells you that God is speaking to them you would want them to get medical treatment. But someone saying it in the 1800s, when life was actually hard, and many people suffered greatly, and went crazy trying to subsist? You swallow that whole and without question.

Forum List

Back