Seattle City Council passes resolution to abolish their Police Department

and of course biden jumped right in and denounced the move

I do not believe this is true, Biden has not supported abolishing the police depts and I don't think he has denounced the Seattle city council for this move. He has however supported the idea of 'redirecting' funds away from PDs, but doesn't call it defunding.
I do believe he was being facetious.

Oh. Please guys, when you're gonna be facetious or sarcastic then please use one of those emoticon thingies. Help an old, unwoke guy out, 'k?

The sarcasm was implied.

116640384_2503857709854874_12624379672907586_n.png

If this goes through, we all know what the results will be. The real question is after it turns out to be a disaster, how they will try to spin it as the Republicans causing all the damage and destruction.

Seattle City Council moves to abolish the entire Seattle Police Department and replace it with a "civilian led Department of Community Safety & Violence Prevention."

They want to replace the police force with nonprofit programs and "community-led activities."

In the proposed legislation, the council argues that the Seattle Police Department "[perpetuates] racism and violence" and upholds "white supremacy culture."

The council endorses the "Decriminalize Seattle" agenda that would replace the police force with:

–"Culturally-relevant expertise rooted in community connections"
–"Housing, food security, and other basic needs"
–"Trauma-informed, gender-affirming, anti-racist praxis"

And finally, the plan demands that the City conduct an "immediate transfer of underutilized public land for BIPOC community ownership"—in essence, the redistribution of land, which is a hallmark of Marxist regimes.

1. This is proposed legislation, which I assume their mayor will shoot down BUT - that city council apparently has the votes to override her veto. Would this legislation have to be approved by the voters? If so, it should fail; if it doesn't, well I guess you get the gov't you voted for.

2. If I'm a cop in Seattle I'm looking for another job, NOW. Either way, I don't want to risk my life for these bozos.

3. If I'm a business person or investor, this ain't the place to start up a business or expand one. In fact, in many cases this is a place where you want to relocate to a safer and saner environment. Like in a red state.

4. No cops, woohoo! If I'm a gang or drug dealer or crook of any kind including organized crime, this is the place to go.

Well..just for the hell of it..let's actually post a link that gives all the info--you know--so we can know what we're talking about?

After pledging to slash this year’s remaining budget of the Seattle Police Department, City Council members on Friday began the work to whittle its cuts into legislation that can be voted on.
The council's police policy decisions came in the form of 39 amendments that will supplement the $20 million in cuts already proposed by Mayor Jenny Durkan.
The council’s Budget Committee met so members could formally introduce the cuts and find co-sponsors. Council members Andrew Lewis and Lisa Herbold introduced a resolution that was essentially a road map to re-imagine how the city's policing would be funded in the year ahead.
The resolution also called for the creation of a civilian led Department of Community Safety and Violence Prevention that would be established by the last quarter of 2021. The new department would handle the majority of calls SPD currently receives.

SPD officials say 56 percent of its response calls are non-criminal in nature. With that in mind, council members began laying the ground work for other city departments and community groups to assume responsibility for those types of call.
“We want to make sure that this really sticks (and) that we are creating meaningful and lasting change,” said Councilwoman Teresa Mosqueda, chairperson of the council's Budget Committee.
Council members called the resolution a work in progress, but said it is designed to be a road map for the council and the community on how the overhaul of SPD would be done.
“It’s going to require a commitment that is demonstrated in writing from us that we are going to honor these promises to fully and totally create a new system,” Lewis said.
The amendments the council considered were varied in size and scope, from as small as a near elimination of the department’s Public Affairs Unit to laying off 32 percent of other employees at the department, according a council staff member.
A key component in the resolution addresses layoffs and how they should be carried out. Councilwoman Lisa Herbold wanted the resolution to allow for the police chief to not be bound by a first hired, first fired policy because she wants "to prioritize the laying off of officers with a history of sustained complaints," she said.

BTW---the thread title is a bit of a deception--the council had NOT passed the resolution:

"The council's debate will continue Monday and Wednesday with a final vote on all the cuts expected to occur on Monday, Aug. 10."

Seattle City Council moves to abolish the entire Seattle Police Department and replace it with a "civilian led Department of Community Safety & Violence Prevention."

They want to replace the police force with nonprofit programs and "community-led activities."

In the proposed legislation, the council argues that the Seattle Police Department "[perpetuates] racism and violence" and upholds "white supremacy culture."

The council endorses the "Decriminalize Seattle" agenda that would replace the police force with:

And finally, the plan demands that the City conduct an "immediate transfer of underutilized public land for BIPOC community ownership"—in essence, the redistribution of land, which is a hallmark of Marxist regimes.

1. This is proposed legislation, which I assume their mayor will shoot down BUT - that city council apparently has the votes to override her veto. Would this legislation have to be approved by the voters? If so, it should fail; if it doesn't, well I guess you get the gov't you voted for.

2. If I'm a cop in Seattle I'm looking for another job, NOW. Either way, I don't want to risk my life for these bozos.

3. If I'm a business person or investor, this ain't the place to start up a business or expand one. In fact, in many cases this is a place where you want to relocate to a safer and saner environment. Like in a red state.

4. No cops, woohoo! If I'm a gang or drug dealer or crook of any kind including organized crime, this is the place to go.

Well..just for the hell of it..let's actually post a link that gives all the info--you know--so we can know what we're talking about?

After pledging to slash this year’s remaining budget of the Seattle Police Department, City Council members on Friday began the work to whittle its cuts into legislation that can be voted on.
The council's police policy decisions came in the form of 39 amendments that will supplement the $20 million in cuts already proposed by Mayor Jenny Durkan.
The council’s Budget Committee met so members could formally introduce the cuts and find co-sponsors. Council members Andrew Lewis and Lisa Herbold introduced a resolution that was essentially a road map to re-imagine how the city's policing would be funded in the year ahead.
The resolution also called for the creation of a civilian led Department of Community Safety and Violence Prevention that would be established by the last quarter of 2021. The new department would handle the majority of calls SPD currently receives.

SPD officials say 56 percent of its response calls are non-criminal in nature. With that in mind, council members began laying the ground work for other city departments and community groups to assume responsibility for those types of call.
“We want to make sure that this really sticks (and) that we are creating meaningful and lasting change,” said Councilwoman Teresa Mosqueda, chairperson of the council's Budget Committee.
Council members called the resolution a work in progress, but said it is designed to be a road map for the council and the community on how the overhaul of SPD would be done.
“It’s going to require a commitment that is demonstrated in writing from us that we are going to honor these promises to fully and totally create a new system,” Lewis said.
The amendments the council considered were varied in size and scope, from as small as a near elimination of the department’s Public Affairs Unit to laying off 32 percent of other employees at the department, according a council staff member.
A key component in the resolution addresses layoffs and how they should be carried out. Councilwoman Lisa Herbold wanted the resolution to allow for the police chief to not be bound by a first hired, first fired policy because she wants "to prioritize the laying off of officers with a history of sustained complaints," she said.

BTW---the thread title is a bit of a deception--the council had NOT passed the resolution:

"The council's debate will continue Monday and Wednesday with a final vote on all the cuts expected to occur on Monday, Aug. 10."

Why the delay? We on the right and left can't wait for it to happen, so make it happen already and get us out of suspense. And that goes for all these leftist cities where the threat lingers. Just do it!!! You have our support on the right. A national election is coming up, and we need to show America what Democrat leadership is all about.

according to you guys, cops just randomly murder blacks. nothing here really addresses that. cutting their money and giving some of the calls to other people, does not stop them from going out on patrol and finding and randomly murdering some blacks.

so, what is the point? why are you libs not addressing that horrible issue?

according to you guys, cops just randomly murder blacks. nothing here really addresses that. cutting their money and giving some of the calls to other people, does not stop them from going out on patrol and finding and randomly murdering some blacks.

Dunno...not a lib..and I think that cops use too much violence period....trimming their wings is a good idea..imo.

Dunno...not a lib..and I think that cops use too much violence period....trimming their wings is a good idea..imo.

The only thing they're trimming is the safety of the public.

if the problem is that the cops are racist thugs intent on murder, reducing their budget won't help.

if the problem is not that, then reducing their budget, still won't help.

the only way DEFUND makes sense, is if you believe cops are murderous racist thugs and you zero out their budget so they are not on the street at all.

Is it possible to invest in organized crime??
If this actually happened... I am going all in to invest in organized crime in Seattle.

if the problem is that the cops are racist thugs intent on murder, reducing their budget won't help.

the only way DEFUND makes sense, is if you believe cops are murderous racist thugs and you zero out their budget so they are not on the street at all.
Nope...your little tautology does not work.
There are any number of good reasons to reallocate resources...cops are not social workers...and...they have a culture that buys into us vs them...which leads to abuses.

cops have a culture that buys into us vs them...which leads to abuses.
Haha... you mean society has a culture that buys into us vs. them

if anyone WONDERS ---in relation to whom and to where and WHY cops develope a culture of "us" vs
"them"-------just visit a BLM community----walk the streets ----late afternoon to early morn and if you survive--------tell us how it went

Is it possible to invest in organized crime??
If this actually happened... I am going all in to invest in organized crime in Seattle.
They already have organized crime in Seattle and Washington in general. They're known as the mayor and council of Seattle and the governor of Washington. They're all assholes and ignoramuses.

There are any number of good reasons to reallocate resources...cops are not social workers...and...they have a culture that buys into us vs them...which leads to abuses.

That is correct if you mean "us" being the good guys and "them" being the criminals. Of course it's good guys vs bad guys.

this "reallocation" is being driven by the DEFUND movement,that is based on the idea that cops are racist murderers.

choosing now to reallocate these funds, feeds into that narrative.

if you happen to be someone who has long advocated for reallocating these resources and suddenly you have support for you long sought after goal....

then you really need to be clear that this is something you have always wanted, for <insert good reason> and that you are not part of the radical DEFUND crowd that believes that cops are racist murderers.

because otherwise, you are giving weight to a terrible idea that is a. going to get a lot of people hurt, and b. is tearing this nation apart.

Forum List

Back