Sean Hannity Is Abandoning Bush

The ClayTaurus said:
Are you comparing your admiration of Hannity and Rush to that of those who admire Moore?

LOL not hardly, but I am saying that Rush and Hannity do inspire people because they are speaking for the quiet majority that up until recently has had no real voice other than being attacked for their beliefs....

Kathianne said:
Mr. P said:
That was what I was trying to get at earlier. Lincoln was a politician, a damned fine one. The Union was losing battle after battle. When they came close to winning something, the generals wouldn't follow up. The Copperheads were getting more and more belligerent about the war, after all, they couldn't afford to buy their way out of the draft, but they knew they would be competing as immigrants, with the blacks if they were freed. It wasn't that they were FOR slavery, just didn't think it was worth dying for and then paying for again in the job market.

Now the abolitionists, they sure did think it was worth lots of folks dying for. They were extreme, moreso than any other group. They were also as a whole, more educated and wealthier than average and they truly believed they knew what was best for everyone. They also held sway in the press. (Remind you of any group today?) Well Lincoln needed some good press, in a big way. So he followed up a victory, with the Emancipation Proclamation. Now I think it's a good thing, but it was very calculated at the time.
VERY much so.

Hagbard Celine said:
In certain circumstances, lap dancing could definately be a form of speech or expression.

No, not one that would be protected by the Constitution. The whole point in having freedom of speech was so someone could speak out against the government if they disagreed with something. Getting your jollies in a strip club has nothing to do with freedom of speech in the Constitution. Plus, expression is an example of words being added to the Constitution.

It's really sad when this much time has to be put into the subject of "Constitutionally protected lap dances".

Bonnie said:
LOL not hardly, but I am saying that Rush and Hannity do inspire people because they are speaking for the quiet majority that up until recently has had no real voice other than being attacked for their beliefs....

I dunno, seems like this quiet majority has never been very quiet and has always had tons of spokespeople. William F. Buckley, Pat Robertson, Pat Buchanan, Phyllis Schlafly, Anita Bryant, Jimmy Swaggart, William Safire, Billy Graham, Charlton Heston, Jimmy and Tammy Faye Baker, just off the top of my head. Not coming from this orientation I have certainly never thought there was a dearth of representation in the media. It's always been out there making noise.

Nuc said:
I dunno, seems like this quiet majority has never been very quiet and has always had tons of spokespeople. William F. Buckley, Pat Robertson, Pat Buchanan, Phyllis Schlafly, Anita Bryant, Jimmy Swaggart, William Safire, Billy Graham, Charlton Heston, Jimmy and Tammy Faye Baker, just off the top of my head. Not coming from this orientation I have certainly never thought there was a dearth of representation in the media. It's always been out there making noise.

I think your lumping in a lot of people that don't really fall into the same ilk, but I see your point. Charlton Heston and Anita Bryant have never really had a permanent platform like a talk show. For years, Conservative radio talk shows were buried on AM with very little national coverage. Televangelists were pretty much confined to the religious following they had, and that is still true. Pat Robertson might be an exception, but that's hardly a banner for the right to hold up and scream about. The Conservative voice on television outside of religious shows? That consisted of Morton Downey Jr. and Wally George.

Now look at the other side of the fence. There has always been voice for the left, particularly on television, which was the best way to reach the most people before the internet came along. Phil Donohue, Oprah Winfrey, Sally Jesse Raphael, and the like dominated daytime. Even primetime entertainment shows pushed the liberal point of view as the way things should be, while painting the conservative as greedy, racist, dumb, etc.

Point is, for many years the liberal point of view was constantly pushed in our faces, and it pretty much went unchallenged. Over the last few years, the other side is finally getting a consistant voice. I think the real problem the left has is it isn't going unchallenged anymore.

Nuc said:

I noticed how you not so skillfully lumped William Buckley, and Bill Safire in with the Bakers, Pat Roberston and Anita Bryant. Not even close and if you are saying that most conservatives in this country follow those people in blind faith then your either being very naive or very elitist and insulting, because that is exaclty what the media does to take any relevance out of what conservatives think or believe, so you just made my point for me.

Try this instead...Cal Thomas, Bill Kristol, Linda Chavez, Laura Ingraham, David Horowitcz, william Buckley, Charles Krauthammer, et al...............And these people had relatively no voice in the liberally dominated MSM until the late eighties early nineties. BTB Bill Safire is a moderate, not really a conservative., neither is Buckley.

Bonnie said:
I noticed how you not so skillfully lumped William Buckley, and Bill Safire in with the Bakers, Pat Roberston and Anita Bryant. Not even close and if you are saying that most conservatives in this country follow those people in blind faith then your either being very naive or very elitist and insulting, because that is exaclty what the media does to take any relevance out of what conservatives think or believe, so you just made my point for me.

Try this instead...Cal Thomas, Bill Kristol, Linda Chavez, Laura Ingraham, David Horowitcz, william Buckley, Charles Krauthammer, et al...............And these people had relatively no voice in the liberally dominated MSM until the late eighties early nineties. BTB Bill Safire is a moderate, not really a conservative., neither is Buckley.

I wasn't quite sure who or what you thought Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity stand for so I mentioned people I thought were either right wing or religious right or both. Rush, at least has much in common with the people you wanted me to exclude from the list. The media has been pushed so far to the right at this point that the people who were formerly moderates are now considered liberal, and the people who were formerly considered far right are mainstream.

Nuc said:
I wasn't quite sure who or what you thought Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity stand for so I mentioned people I thought were either right wing or religious right or both. Rush, at least has much in common with the people you wanted me to exclude from the list. The media has been pushed so far to the right at this point that the people who were formerly moderates are now considered liberal, and the people who were formerly considered far right are mainstream.

Hmm I really don't any correlation between Rush and Anita Bryant, or the Bakers, but I would be interested in hearing why or what specifically makes you think so??

Bonnie said:
Hmm I really don't any correlation between Rush and Anita Bryant, or the Bakers, but I would be interested in hearing why or what specifically makes you think so??

Some of the same bigotry, self righteousness and religious zeal.

Nuc said:
Some of the same bigotry, self righteousness and religious zeal.

So it's your contention that it's the tone of Rush's convictions or cetainty Rush uses to present, rather than the substance of his ideas? Actually Rush quotes Buckley quite often along with Cal Thomas, etc I have never heard him quoting Faye Baker.

Bonnie said:
So it's your contention that it's the tone of Rush's convictions or cetainty Rush uses to present, rather than the substance of his ideas? Actually Rush quotes Buckley quite often along with Cal Thomas, etc I have never heard him quoting Faye Baker.

I've been through a few of these Rush Limbaugh tug of wars with other people on this board and you know what I think about it. I enjoy listening to people like George Will, William Safire, Linda Chavez (as you mentioned). I even like Pat Buchanan. But I think Rush is abusive and doesn't show respect for his adversaries.

My original point is just that from my personal memory there have always been strong voices on the right. At least I was always aware of people I thought were coming from that direction.

SpidermanTuba said:
So why is Bush imposing a religious test on the office of Justice of the Supreme Court?

I :dunno: why did Schumer et al bring religion up at Roberts' hearing?

Kathianne said:
Mr. P said:
That was what I was trying to get at earlier. Lincoln was a politician, a damned fine one. The Union was losing battle after battle. When they came close to winning something, the generals wouldn't follow up. The Copperheads were getting more and more belligerent about the war, after all, they couldn't afford to buy their way out of the draft, but they knew they would be competing as immigrants, with the blacks if they were freed. It wasn't that they were FOR slavery, just didn't think it was worth dying for and then paying for again in the job market.

Now the abolitionists, they sure did think it was worth lots of folks dying for. They were extreme, moreso than any other group. They were also as a whole, more educated and wealthier than average and they truly believed they knew what was best for everyone. They also held sway in the press. (Remind you of any group today?) Well Lincoln needed some good press, in a big way. So he followed up a victory, with the Emancipation Proclamation. Now I think it's a good thing, but it was very calculated at the time.

Lincoln in fact did offer the Southern states the right to maintain slavery where it already existed if they would return to the Union -- this was prior to any shots being fired.

The Emancipation Proclamation was both a military and political move. It freed slaves only in "states in rebellion." The hope was that it would cuse general unrest throughout the South among slaves and pull troops off the front lines to provide rear-area security.

Lincoln was very-much against slavery; however, he did not believe blacks the equal of whites. But first and foremost he was a Nationalist and if allowing slavery would have brought the South back into the Union without a war, he'd have done it in a minute.

GunnyL said:
Kathianne said:
Lincoln in fact did offer the Southern states the right to maintain slavery where it already existed if they would return to the Union -- this was prior to any shots being fired.

The Emancipation Proclamation was both a military and political move. It freed slaves only in "states in rebellion." The hope was that it would cuse general unrest throughout the South among slaves and pull troops off the front lines to provide rear-area security.

Lincoln was very-much against slavery; however, he did not believe blacks the equal of whites. But first and foremost he was a Nationalist and if allowing slavery would have brought the South back into the Union without a war, he'd have done it in a minute.

If I remember correctly, he entertained the idea of a seperate state for blacks or rather sending them to an 'all black' colony.

Nuc said:
The media has been pushed so far to the right at this point that the people who were formerly moderates are now considered liberal, and the people who were formerly considered far right are mainstream.

Election results in five of the last six cycles don't seem to bear that out, Nuc. Neither do the ratings for Fox News, conservative talk radio, or Air America. Look at book sales; authors you would consider "far right" are cleaning liberalism's collective clock. Maybe your barometer is off. Perhaps media isn't so much "pushing us to the right" as it is reflecting what the true American mainstream is. Sorry to have to point that out. Pleasant dreams.

musicman said:
Election results in five of the last six cycles don't seem to bear that out, Nuc. Neither do the ratings for Fox News, conservative talk radio, or Air America. Look at book sales; authors you would consider "far right" are cleaning liberalism's collective clock. Maybe your barometer is off. Perhaps media isn't so much "pushing us to the right" as it is reflecting what the true American mainstream is. Sorry to have to point that out. Pleasant dreams.

What you say here proves my point, not the contrary.

Forum List

Back