SCOTUS to hear arguments on keeping Trump off 2024 ballot

The Colorado Supreme Court agreed that Trump engaged in an insurrection, but ruled that Section 3 of the 14th Amendment does, in fact, apply to the presidency, meaning that Trump could not appear on the ballot. Dec 20, 2023
The problem with their ruling is that Trump has to have been convicted of insurrection....yet not one of the charges against him (or anyone else in jail over Jan 6th) mentions insurrection.

So essentially the Colorado Supreme Court made up the charges, and if everything goes according to the laws on the books, will be soundly overruled in the Supreme Court.

What you're saying is if anyone might beat Biden in the election you think you have the right to keep them off the ballot just cuz they might beat you.

Who's threatening Democracy now?????????????????????

Why don't we just go out and put all of our political opponents in front of a firing squad too while we're at it.
You already think that anyone who's MAGA needs to be thrown in jail. Why not just go around like the little Nazi you are and murder everyone who doesn't believe in your nonsense.

Even a CNN reporter mentioned that after hearing the arguments back and forth and hearing the questioning from the Justices, she wouldn't be surprised if the vote outcome was a 9-0 knockout.

we'll see.

Listening to the audio, I’m guessing the three leftist women will dissent. They’ll looking for a way out. Final will be 6-3.

Originally I guessed the outcome would be 6-3 as well. Now however, an 8-1 wouldn't be a shock based on the line of questioning. Sotomayor of course lives on another planet, so I can't see her EVER agreeing with the majority.

He doesn't have to be charged with

How hard is it to understand that Trump, or anyone else for that matter, does not have to be charged with insurrection for the exclusion clause of the 14th amendment to be triggered. What part of or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof do you not understand? What part of shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, do you not understand?

Listening to the audio, I’m guessing the three leftist women will dissent. They’ll looking for a way out. Final will be 6-3.

it's going to be 9-0, with the leftists just arguing the States don't have a say, and the ones on the right saying that, and that there is no real proof of any insurrection occurring.

He doesn't have to be charged with

How hard is it to understand that Trump, or anyone else for that matter, does not have to be charged with insurrection for the exclusion clause of the 14th amendment to be triggered. What part of or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof do you not understand? What part of shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, do you not understand?

What part of individual States being given the ability to decide this ruining our election system don't YOU understand?

Originally I guessed the outcome would be 6-3 as well. Now however, an 8-1 wouldn't be a shock based on the line of questioning. Sotomayor of course lives on another planet, so I can't see her EVER agreeing with the majority.
Is she the Hispanic affirmative action pick? She’s very unimpressive.

I’m thinking maybe the black affirmative action pick will be the lone hold-out.

The Colorado primary is March 5, so the decision needs to come soon. The SOTU is March 7, so I wonder how the Mumbler-in-Chief will spin the failure of the Democrats to interfere with the election and suppress the votes of half of Coloradians.

Yes, I think we are looking at 8-1, a reversal of the Colorado decision. Yes, Sotomayor is going to have no part of the farce, because make no mistake about it, it is a farce.

Based on the oral arguments the SCOTUS is desperately looking for an off ramp. They didn't want to touch this decision with a damn ten foot pole. It is a lose/lose proposition for them no matter how they rule, and the American public is already deeply skeptical of them.

But they have found their off ramp, and it is damn flippin comical.

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature,

The presidency is not listed. Nope, the president is not an officer of the United States. Nope, the president is special. The oath the president swore, well it just doesn't count. Now, the oath that the local dog catcher submitted to, that counts. Any other president, from Washington all the way to Obama, and Biden too, well the 14th amendment would apply. I mean I can't think of another president in our entire history that didn't previously hold a political office, was a member of the military, or was not an officer of the United States in some capacity. Ike was in the military, he swore an oath. So did Kennedy, Johnson was a member of Congress, Nixon was VP, Ford was VP, Reagan was governor of California, Clinton was in the military, Bush Sr. was in the military and head of the CIA, Bush Jr. was in the military and governor of Texas, Obama was a state legislator and senator, Biden was a member of Congress and VP.

Yep, that is the off ramp that the SCOTUS is going to take. As Sotomayer put it, any other president in our entire history could be disqualified by the14th amendment's insurrection clause, just not Trump. And while the SCOTUS gleefully takes this exit ramp, avoiding all the problems that affirming Colorado's decision would imply, like Texas removing Biden from the ballot for "insurrection", they create a bigger problem.

At some point in the future another person will be elected president that never held a state or federal office, that never served in the military, that never swore an oath to the Constitution. Hell, it might be Trump again in 2024. And come inauguration day, well he swears the oath on the bible and then rips it out of the Chief Justice's hands, spits on it, loudly proclaims "SUCKERS", and immediately installs himself as "Supreme Leader".

Soon enough, every Saturday morning we all have to go to the town square and sing the praises of the "Supreme Leader". College and professional sporting events will begin, not with the National Anthem, but with a vow of servitude to the "Supreme Leader". When historians look back and want to nail down the exact time that the Republic of America died, well it will all come back to this decision from the SCOTUS.

Forum List

Back