Scotty Kilmer - Car as Appliance

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Scotty Kilmer has become the "Click & Clack" of YouTube. He dispenses interesting and sometimes humourous information about cars, how to fix and maintain them, which cars to seek out and which to avoid and so forth.

Not surprisingly, he loves Toyotas and Lexi, Honda's, but not their automatic transmissions, and a smattering of other Asian models & parts. He basically believes that most German cars are over-engineered junk - except for the few models that are actually made in Germany. All Italian, English, and most American and Korean cars are junk.

There is more than car critiques in his cornucopia of videos. He reviews individual components, aftermarket products, maintenance philosophies and other automotive stuff.

I am a "fan," I suppose, but as with Consumer Reports, he thinks of cars as appliances, which I manifestly do not. And I don't think many other people do, either. I want my Fridge and washing machine to last forever. As for cars, I make my purchase decisions, NOT on projected reliability over ten years of ownership, but on styling, performance, utility, fuel economy, features, comfort, and price. I don't care if it will last forever; I just want three or four years of relatively good use, after which I'll sell it to someone else and start over.

The LAST thing I want is a car that will last me 300,000 miles. I don't envy people riding around for 15 years in a Camry or Corolla, no matter how much they are "saving." I also think that even if a car is "bad," it still runs fine most of the time. I've owned many trouble-free cars that Consumer Reports spat all over.

Someone once said to me, "Don't pay attention to mechanics telling you which cars are junk. They only see the bad ones." Does that make sense?

All of the cars made nowadays are much better than in the 80s, 70s, 60s.
The cars are safer and more reliable.
I Remember having to choke the car, pump the gas, turn the key and pray.
Cars can easily last 10 years now.

When you look at major subsystems, the improvements are incredible.

Engines, trannies, tires, body integrity (despite general abandonment of frames), rust prevention, durabiity of seat fabrics, passive safety features, brakes, lighting, air pollution.

But when something goes wrong, it sometimes costs a king's ransom to,fix.

Guy I work with had a....2008, I think?...Chevy pickup. In addition to the thing eating front hubs on the regular, it would just stop. Engine would quit, no warning lights. It was like the battery was disconnected.

Thing was in the shop for five damn months. And they couldn't figure it out. So they couldn't fix it, despite all the swaptronics they did.

He got disgusted with the shop, got his truck, and sold it as quick as he could.

Forum List

Back