Schools confront ‘off the rails’ numbers of failing grades

The bad thing is there are children‘s parents that can not afford internet or a number of computers. Those children may not even be in this because they were not graded. You actually have to be in class to be graded.

Thousands of laptops and chromebooks have been distributed to students who cannot afford a computer.
But did they get to everyone and did they come with internet access? ...

Yes.

The bad thing is there are children‘s parents that can not afford internet or a number of computers. Those children may not even be in this because they were not graded. You actually have to be in class to be graded.

Thousands of laptops and chromebooks have been distributed to students who cannot afford a computer.

But they require WIFI in the home to work.

I have two teen daughters who are struggling with it, in part because the classroom in chromebook are set up badly, I just helped my younger daughter find the research paper unit, it was at the bottom of a long column that first started with her alternative project, a lab project. She couldn't find it, thus didn't do the assignment.

Someone suggested we just cancel school all together until the kids can go back. So everyone will be a year older when they graduate, big deal.

No. Not a good solution. Danger, Will Robinson. Danger, Will Robinson.

You are going to have a lot of kids drop out.

That is also set up for those families who cannot afford it.

When educators can't even identify the best method of teaching....

???????
Live vs virtual. I thought a smart guy like you would have figured that.

That's not a question of what people want to do, but rather what they are faced with. Without the pandemic, everyone would prefer teaching in person. Hell, even with the pandemic I'd prefer they return to in-person teaching.

That is also set up for those families who cannot afford it.

In my school district, they made an agreement with the main local internet supplier to provide 60 days of FREE WIFI connection. That was months ago, don't know if they are still free, it cost me $5 a month to add WIFI with a free WIFI distributor.

Internet access is limited or inconsistent,
That's an unhealthy dependency on “always-on internet” fostered by politically savvy Democrat teachers' unions.
And teachers who don’t see their students in person have fewer ways to pick up on who is falling behind, especially with many keeping their cameras off during Zoom sessions.
And the girls are loosening their blouses in front of the Zoom camera for better grades from male teachers.

Internet access is limited or inconsistent,
That's an unhealthy dependency on “always-on internet” fostered by politically savvy Democrat teachers' unions.
And teachers who don’t see their students in person have fewer ways to pick up on who is falling behind, especially with many keeping their cameras off during Zoom sessions.
And the girls are loosening their blouses in front of the Zoom camera for better grades from male teachers.

You need to be locked up again, psycho.

In the school district where I live
1) Chromebooks are given/loaned to ANY student that needs one
2) Those without internet access are given/loaned a “Hot Spot” free of charge
3) The kids that are “homeless” are bussed to school and do their “on line” learning at school with the help of a teacher/para Ed assigned to a classroom of less than 10 students.
4) Assist and Special needs students come to school as they did in the past
5) K-3 students are on the hybrid schedule and attend school as normal 2 days a week.

Thanks for the support.
Too bad our Nation Wide Leadership ( ie the President) couldn’t figure out how to handle the pandemic.

I've been expecting this.

We have had serious issues with distance learning and we have a smart kid and smart, well off parents, with the time and energy and resources to handle shit.

ANYONE with less, was obviously going to be really struggling.

How many kids will fall behind and be permanently harmed by this?

And this is just ONE facet of the cost of the lock down.
Not just harmed by their failing grades either.
We have taken away structure, responsibility, a regular routine, normal socialization with peers, instilled a sense of fear of others.
I wonder what the long term effects will be mentally on an entire generation.

Agreed. The cost of this will linger for decades.

In the school district where I live
1) Chromebooks are given/loaned to ANY student that needs one
2) Those without internet access are given/loaned a “Hot Spot” free of charge
3) The kids that are “homeless” are bussed to school and do their “on line” learning at school with the help of a teacher/para Ed assigned to a classroom of less than 10 students.
4) Assist and Special needs students come to school as they did in the past
5) K-3 students are on the hybrid schedule and attend school as normal 2 days a week.

Thanks for the support.
Too bad our Nation Wide Leadership ( ie the President) couldn’t figure out how to handle the pandemic.
So you think because what you think is happening in your little area looks to be fine that every thing is perfection? Have you actually gone out and talked to people that are stuggling to get by? Have you talked to a large amount of homeless children to make sure that they are attending classes?
Sounds like it is just what you have heard. But way to get the partisan point for its all Trumps fault in there. I have no doubt everyone is proud of you at the local headquarters

When educators can't even identify the best method of teaching....

???????
Live vs virtual. I thought a smart guy like you would have figured that.

That's not a question of what people want to do, but rather what they are faced with. Without the pandemic, everyone would prefer teaching in person. Hell, even with the pandemic I'd prefer they return to in-person teaching.
There's no black and white here. There is no absolute way of dealing with the pandemic regardless what Democrat bigots say. Dems prefer virtual, the 1619 project and critical race theory and Republicans hate all of those things. But I think you realize that's ALL political, regardless of all the mindless chirping about science.

I'd be happy to go in tomorrow if they opened the schools, but I think it may be a while. At least after the holidays.

Forum List

Back