Schools confront ‘off the rails’ numbers of failing grades

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The first report cards of the school year are arriving with many more Fs than usual in a dismal sign of the struggles students are experiencing with distance learning.

School districts from coast to coast have reported the number of students failing classes has risen by as many as two or three times — with English language learners and disabled and disadvantaged students suffering the most.

“It was completely off the rails from what is normal for us, and that was obviously very alarming,” said Erik Jespersen, principal of Oregon’s McNary High School, where 38% of grades in late October were failing, compared with 8% in normal times.

Educators see a number of factors at play: Students learning from home skip assignments — or school altogether. Internet access is limited or inconsistent, making it difficult to complete and upload assignments. And teachers who don’t see their students in person have fewer ways to pick up on who is falling behind, especially with many keeping their cameras off during Zoom sessions.

You gotta love that ending as if it's about effort. There were already studies that showed online learning was a failure where it was in place. Very few students can pull that off. More power to them for those that can but for those that can't? I hope that in the future everyone remembers how this pans out and can tell the billionaire clowns and corps to stop shoving it down our throats.

Kids/adults/humans learn in different ways.

The first report cards of the school year are arriving with many more Fs than usual in a dismal sign of the struggles students are experiencing with distance learning.

School districts from coast to coast have reported the number of students failing classes has risen by as many as two or three times — with English language learners and disabled and disadvantaged students suffering the most.

“It was completely off the rails from what is normal for us, and that was obviously very alarming,” said Erik Jespersen, principal of Oregon’s McNary High School, where 38% of grades in late October were failing, compared with 8% in normal times.

Educators see a number of factors at play: Students learning from home skip assignments — or school altogether. Internet access is limited or inconsistent, making it difficult to complete and upload assignments. And teachers who don’t see their students in person have fewer ways to pick up on who is falling behind, especially with many keeping their cameras off during Zoom sessions.

You gotta love that ending as if it's about effort. There were already studies that showed online learning was a failure where it was in place. Very few students can pull that off. More power to them for those that can but for those that can't? I hope that in the future everyone remembers how this pans out and can tell the billionaire clowns and corps to stop shoving it down our throats.

It appears that I was wrong about distance learning on a mass scale

I know the liberal influence in our schools is bad for society and I was happy to see the lib educators lose their tight grip on the students

but very few parents and virtually no single welfare moms in the ghetto are equipped to handle home schooling

if this report turns out to be a fact I’m all for reopening the public schools

if the teachers are too afraid of the wiflu to attend classes fire them and hire replacements

I've been expecting this.

We have had serious issues with distance learning and we have a smart kid and smart, well off parents, with the time and energy and resources to handle shit.

ANYONE with less, was obviously going to be really struggling.

How many kids will fall behind and be permanently harmed by this?

And this is just ONE facet of the cost of the lock down.

I know the liberal influence in our schools is bad for society and I was happy to see the lib educators lose their tight grip on the students

but very few parents and virtually no single welfare moms in the ghetto are equipped to handle home schooling

if the teachers are too afraid of the wiflu to attend classes fire them and hire replacements
Teachers don't make the call. You would think with as many articles as have come out that they did run the show but they don't. It's like advertising for a Wheaties cereal.
WHEATIES: Feeding You Gender Norms Since 1934 | Sport in ...

In our area the health department or the board makes the call. Even the superintendent doesn't matter.

The teachers union has a lot of day over the decision and they have loudly supported shutdown

but the schools in my state are not shut down and opened only a couple of weeks late

Not here. But, I noticed something the last few years that I thought was hilarious. Our teachers went on strike a few years ago without the "permission" from the union. You should have heard them struggling to act like they were in control of the situation. It was comic relief. The governor at the time talked to them like children. They kept saying there was a teacher shortage. They just refused to pay the teachers and they were forced to go to Texas to teach. We had teachers working 3 jobs to make ends meet.

Unions were worth a damn at one time but if they aren't willing to work towards fixing things then they are completely useless.

Not to worry....if Biden is elected all will be fixed.

"Federal Child Academic Excellence Adjustment Program"

Lower the standards, raise the child. F = C, C = A

Voila! Every child is an instant genius

The bad thing is there are children‘s parents that can not afford internet or a number of computers. Those children may not even be in this because they were not graded. You actually have to be in class to be graded.

Not to worry!

With the election of the Honorable Joseph R. Biden, Jr., and especially the Honorable Kamala D. Harris, the schools will be very generous in their grading practices.

Dems are very understanding and sweet people who love to give the benefit of the doubt to other human beings. So because of this terrible pandemic, the schools will simply give every student at least a gentleman's (lady's) grade of "C." Then nobody will fail.

In fact, way before this pandemic, some schools had been thinking about abolishing the whole system of grades, lest they cause low self-esteem among some students.

When educators can't even identify the best method of teaching, why should we expect the subjective, opinion based bullshit they teach to be any better? By the way, Trump knew this from the beginning. Overturn this crooked election before this country makes its biggest mistake in history.

Actually, they have identified it but the powers that be don't like that.

Not to worry!

With the election of the Honorable Joseph R. Biden, Jr., and especially the Honorable Kamala D. Harris, the schools will be very generous in their grading practices.

Dems are very understanding and sweet people who love to give the benefit of the doubt to other human beings. So because of this terrible pandemic, the schools will simply give every student at least a gentleman's (lady's) grade of "C." Then nobody will fail.

In fact, way before this pandemic, some schools had been thinking about abolishing the whole system of grades, lest they cause low self-esteem among some students.
You know that isn't true. I don't like either one of those freaks but if we could just slap the hell out of them for their actual stupidity that would be great.

... — with English language learners and disabled and disadvantaged students suffering the most.

This is very true. A lot of students are out there trying very hard to keep up and keep on point, but those students who already enjoyed certain advantages are best equipped to manage this strange new world of education.

Last edited:
The bad thing is there are children‘s parents that can not afford internet or a number of computers. Those children may not even be in this because they were not graded. You actually have to be in class to be graded.

Thousands of laptops and chromebooks have been distributed to students who cannot afford a computer.

Someone suggested we just cancel school all together until the kids can go back. So everyone will be a year older when they graduate, big deal. That doesn't solve the problem of all the school employees that will be out of work, but it would probably be the best solution for the kids.

That doesn't solve the problem of all the school employees that will be out of work, but it would probably be the best solution for the kids.
No one cares about employees in the private sector who are laid off

so why worry about government workers?

they should lose their jobs along with everyone else

as for the kids they will lose ground to students around the world if we closed for a year.

And who says the chinese disease will go away next year?

I've been expecting this.

We have had serious issues with distance learning and we have a smart kid and smart, well off parents, with the time and energy and resources to handle shit.

ANYONE with less, was obviously going to be really struggling.

How many kids will fall behind and be permanently harmed by this?

And this is just ONE facet of the cost of the lock down.
Not just harmed by their failing grades either.
We have taken away structure, responsibility, a regular routine, normal socialization with peers, instilled a sense of fear of others.
I wonder what the long term effects will be mentally on an entire generation.

Thousands of laptops and chromebooks have been distributed to students who cannot afford a computer.
But did they get to everyone and did they come with internet access? Because many are struggling to just eat and pay basic bills. This is just one of the articles I was referring to More than 9 million children lack internet access at home for online learning

Forum List

Back