School forces 25 hungry students to throw away lunches when they couldn’t pay

in this country the day we can't give kids in school a hot lunch [thye are the future] while they are trying to learn the skills needed to succeed [they are our future] is a sad day for America !!no child should go hungry !!

HAHAHA. What a bunch of liberal twaddle. "Let's do it for the kids". HAHAHA

The issue here is racism. Why do white kids have to pay for meals the negro and hispo kids get free?

in this country the day we can't give kids in school a hot lunch [thye are the future] while they are trying to learn the skills needed to succeed [they are our future] is a sad day for America !!no child should go hungry !!

HAHAHA. What a bunch of liberal twaddle. "Let's do it for the kids". HAHAHA

The issue here is racism. Why do white kids have to pay for meals the negro and hispo kids get free?

Yea, it's not very Christian, is it? Making sure all children have enough to eat so they can get through the day at school and be able to learn. Christ would be rolling over in his grave to think people actually cared that kids got a decent lunch despite the fact they were not able to pay for it. I can just hear him mumbling about the fact people didn't bring any food to the seaside when they came to hear him speak. He must have been really pissed off that he had to find food for all those people. And they just got a free ride, the jerks.

Last edited:
OK, here's one of those "back in my day" stories. Let me first say that during this time period, each school was part of a school "district", and was not then under any state or federal control.
When I attended high school (in Illinois) back in the mid 1960's, our parents had one of two choices when it came to our lunches. They had to sign a form which stated that their children would either pay for their lunches or they would bring their own lunches. There was no such thing as the school paying for your lunch.

Additionally, we were responsible for bringing our own notebooks, paper, pen/pencils, etc. There was a "book store" within the school where you could buy these items. If you lost or damaged one of your initial study books, you bought a replacement from the book store. All proceeds from these sales stayed within the school, and the profits went to fund other school activities, such as building a school 'float' for local parades.
Frankly, I think we should go back to that type of operation. The state or federal government should not be in charge of feeding our children. That's up to the parents, who should be responsible for making sure their children are fed, clothed, and properly prepared when they go to school.

OK, here's one of those "back in my day" stories. Let me first say that during this time period, each school was part of a school "district", and was not then under any state or federal control.
When I attended high school (in Illinois) back in the mid 1960's, our parents had one of two choices when it came to our lunches. They had to sign a form which stated that their children would either pay for their lunches or they would bring their own lunches. There was no such thing as the school paying for your lunch.

Additionally, we were responsible for bringing our own notebooks, paper, pen/pencils, etc. There was a "book store" within the school where you could buy these items. If you lost or damaged one of your initial study books, you bought a replacement from the book store. All proceeds from these sales stayed within the school, and the profits went to fund other school activities, such as building a school 'float' for local parades.
Frankly, I think we should go back to that type of operation. The state or federal government should not be in charge of feeding our children. That's up to the parents, who should be responsible for making sure their children are fed, clothed, and properly prepared when they go to school.

Maybe you should just move to some place like India where poor is poor and no one feels any inclination to make sure people don't starve or that childen grow up healthy with a decent home and good food. The 'good old days' you describe may have been okay for you, but they weren't that great for others. Do you really want to see kids going to school with no proper clothes or shoes, without having needed books, papers, and pencils? It's really easy to ignore want and poverty when it isn't you. And I say that as someone who also went to school in the 60's and whose family couldn't afford school lunches, so we brown bagged it. We were still more fortunate than others. Those people who think there should be no government aid for people in distress have never lived in a country where this is, indeed, no government aid for people in distress. It brings the situation sharply into focus.

Maybe you should just move to some place like India where poor is poor and no one feels any inclination to make sure people don't starve or that childen grow up healthy with a decent home and good food. .

How the hell do you know that "no one" in India cares if people starve or children grow up healthy?

Maybe you should just move to some place like India where poor is poor and no one feels any inclination to make sure people don't starve or that childen grow up healthy with a decent home and good food. .

How the hell do you know that "no one" in India cares if people starve or children grow up healthy?

Have you ever been to India? Have you seen the way poor people live? Most likely not. If you had, you wouldn't ask that question. 'No one' is a general statement, probably there are some people there who are concerned, but, overall, the government does not provide a social welfare system to take care of the poor and indigent. If you had spent anytime there or in a country with a similar system, you wouldn't have to ask. As well, I work with quite a few Indian people, in fact I carpool with 3 of them everyday. I do know what I'm talking about. You keep challenging me on what I say, but, in fact, you just challenge me because you want to think contrary to what I'm saying though you have no actual evidence to the contrary. Just a blowhard you are.

Hunger is the No.1 Cause of Death in India

Hunger Facts

1. Hunger remains the No.1 cause of death in the world. Aids, Cancer etc. follow.

2. There are 820 million chronically hungry people in the world.

3. 1/3rd of the world's hungry live in India.

4. 836 million Indians survive on less than Rs. 20 (less than half-a-dollar) a day.

5. Over 20 crore Indians will sleep hungry tonight.

6. 10 million people die every year of chronic hunger and hunger-related diseases. Only eight percent are the victims of hunger caused by high-profile earthquakes, floods, droughts and wars.

7. India has 212 million undernourished people – only marginally below the 215 million estimated for 1990–92.

8. 99% of the 1000 Adivasi households from 40 villages in the two states, who comprised the total sample, experienced chronic hunger (unable to get two square meals, or at least one square meal and one poor/partial meal, on even one day in the week prior to the survey). Almost as many (24.1 per cent) had lived in conditions of semi-starvation during the previous month.

9. Over 7000 Indians die of hunger every day.

10. Over 25 lakh Indians die of hunger every year.

11. Despite substantial improvement in health since independence and a growth rate of 8 percent in recent years, under-nutrition remains a silent emergency in India, with almost 50 percent of Indian children underweight and more than 70 percent of the women and children with serious nutritional deficiencies as anemia.

12. The 1998 – 99 Indian survey shows 57 percent of the children aged 0– 3 years to be either severely or moderately stunted and/or underweight.

13. During 2006 – 2007, malnutrition contributed to seven million Indian children dying, nearly two million before the age of one.

14. 30% of newborn are of low birth weight, 56% of married women are anaemic and 79% of children age 6-35 months are anaemic.

15. The number of hungry people in India is always more than the number of people below official poverty line (while around 37% of rural households were below the poverty line in 1993-94, 80% of households suffered under nutrition).

http://www.bhookh.com/hunger_facts.php

Last edited:
Last edited:
'No one' is a general statement, probably there are some people there who are concerned, but...

"No one" is not a general statement, it is a specific one. You know you are full of shit or you wouldn't have started spinning your irresponsible comment so readily.

"Probably"?

"But"?

You'd better run a hyperbole-check next time before you post something stupid.

Have you ever been to India? ...

No, have you?

Yes, twice. And to other countries where there are very poor people. If a country does not have a social welfare program that looks after the poor, they end up with hundreds, and in India's case, millions of people who are starving, who live in hovels, who don't get medical care an lie in the street dying. I do know what I am talking about; I wasn't just in the tourists areas.

These are obviously not effective. They are a drop in the bucket, nothing more. It's a way for them to SAY they are doing something that they are not actually doing, which is taking care of the poor and the destitute.

"During 2006 – 2007, malnutrition contributed to seven million Indian children dying, nearly two million before the age of one."

Last edited:

These are obviously not effective.

Oh, now it's "not effective." I see. How many times are you going to move those goal posts? If I were to point out an effective program, would you then change your position to "not effective enough" or "not effective throughout the entire country" or something? Are you just going to keep changing your position until you find one that almost works? It might be easier to stop making categorical statements that you can't support in the first place.

Ok, and both times you took a tourist trip to India you NEVER met anyone who cared about children or the poor?

You said you work with Indian people. Have they told you that they don't care about children or the poor? That has not been my experience.

If you saw what it was like. People who are ill, people who are disabled, people who are deformed, lying in the gutters and everyone walking right past them, hundreds, thousands of people every day walking right past them, yes, you would say no one cares. It is part of the culture.

One of my visits there was a tourist trip, the other was not. I stayed with Indian people in a town that is not a tourist town. I work with Indian people in an international setting. They are not Indians who are Americans, for whom America is home; they are international people working in a country outside of India. They are professionals. Of course they don't say 'no one cares,' but they do say there isn't anything they as individuals can do anything about. It is up to the government and the government doesn't do it. That is what this thread is all about: the government taking responsibility for people who need help.

If you have been reduced to harping on my terminology, then it's pretty clear you have lost this debate.

Last edited:

Oh, now it's "not effective." I see. How many times are you going to move those goal posts? If I were to point out an effective program, would you then change your position to "not effective enough" or "not effective throughout the entire country" or something? Are you just going to keep changing your position until you find one that almost works? It might be easier to stop making categorical statements that you can't support in the first place.

It's extremely clear you know nothing about India or the Indian government or culture. I haven't changed my position one iota. They do not take care of their people. Their social welfare programs are not designed to help the people in any real way but to make it look like they are helping people. That's India.

"During 2006 – 2007, malnutrition contributed to seven million Indian children dying, nearly two million before the age of one." And you want to say this is a government that is looking after it's people? You want to live in a country where people can't afford to eat, to get medical care, to live in a decent, clean home with electricity and water? You want the poor the destitute to look after themselves without any government safety net? You won't mind then, walking down any street in America and stepping over hungry children, people who are disabled and can't work, those who were born deformed and had not medical care to help them at birth or through a miserable life. That's what America will become if we, the government, the system don't look after those who are in need.

Last edited:
Those people who think there should be no government aid for people in distress have never lived in a country where this is, indeed, no government aid for people in distress. It brings the situation sharply into focus.

HAHAHA. Knocking down another straw man, are we? No one is saying we should end all govt aid to poor people but we do need to reduce all this welfare fraud. A poor mother in america can collect around $30,000 a year in aid and that's enough money to pay for her kid's school lunch.

Minority mothers are just deadbeats who spend their welfare money on booze and drugs and insist white people feed their kids.

If you saw what it was like. People who are ill, people who are disabled, people who are deformed, lying in the gutters and everyone walking right past them, hundreds, thousands of people every day walking right past them, yes, you would say no one cares. It is part of the culture.

It's also part of indian culture to deliberately maim your kids so they make better beggars.

Forum List

Back