Scariest movies of all time?

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie
I know these are very mainstream choices, but, for me, the two scariest movies of all time will always be The Exorcist and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original version). I had never seen The Exorcist before, so, before it was re-released (I think in the 90's) in theaters, I actually bought and read the book. That book was one of the scariest things I've ever read, and I've read a decent amount of Stephen King books.

I would read it in my room at night with only a candle for light. I couldn't put the book down until I finished it. The only other book that was a page turner like that for me was Mario Puzo's The Godfather. Those are the two best books ever written in terms of making me have to flip the page to find out what happens next lol.

I know there are parts of Texas Chainsaw that are campy, but the whole documentary feel of the movie gets me every time.

I also love the original, black and white Night of the Living Dead.

The Exorcist, back in the day. I saw it when it came out, there was nothing like it before. Gave me the creeps and I never viewed green puke the same.

Modern horror movies suck something awful though. They rely heavily on shocking you with sudden images or loud noises.

The Exorcist, back in the day. I saw it when it came out, there was nothing like it before. Gave me the creeps and I never viewed green puke the same.

Modern horror movies suck something awful though. They rely heavily on shocking you with sudden images or loud noises.

I totally agree about modern horror movies. I've seen some good ones here and there, but I can't think of a single one that has that timeless, staying power of a movie like The Exorcist. I much prefer the ones that fuck with your head by making you imagine the worst things possible instead of showing you everything.

Here's a cool video about how audiences reacted in 1973 to The Exorcist:

I went with my buddies when it came out. We thought we were the coolest but it scared the living crap out of all of us :ack-1:.

I shit myself
0D83AAF9-7701-408E-BE15-F1B3A377BDDB-9640-000005F5BB61BF90_tmp.jpg

Geez there has been so many good ones.

In no particular order
1. Jaws
2. The shining
3. 2001 space oddessy
4. Hellraiser
5. Halloween
6. Evil dead
7. Friday the 13th
8. Nightmare on elm street

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I was a sci fi geek, so for me it was when the original Alien came out. Not to mention being about 12 at the time seeing Sigorny Weaver in her undies on the big screen, yeah.
The old War of the Worlds scared the crap out of me when I was 6.

Geez there has been so many good ones.

In no particular order
1. Jaws
2. The shining
3. 2001 space oddessy
4. Hellraiser
5. Halloween
6. Evil dead
7. Friday the 13th
8. Nightmare on elm street

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I like those movies as well. The Shining and 2001 would be my top picks from that list. I love the original Evil Dead, which was actually pretty scary before the series became slapstick horror comedy, which I also enjoy as well for what it is. The others on the list are classics as well.

All those movies are made by libs. Conservatives would make one like this:

The Grudge was ok. I like watching creepy paranormal videos on YouTube late at night with the lights off. I'm very skeptical about these kinds of videos, and I think they're pretty much all fake. But I still get creeped out by them if I watch them late at night with the lights off lol.

The Grudge was ok. I like watching creepy paranormal videos on YouTube late at night with the lights off. I'm very skeptical about these kinds of videos, and I think they're pretty much all fake. But I still get creeped out by them if I watch them late at night with the lights off lol.

I like watching scary movies but this one is too creepy for me.

To be honest, I haven't watched The Grudge since the early 2000's. I remember it being pretty creepy, but I don't think I was that scared of it. Maybe I would be if I re-watched it after all these years lol.

Edit: Never mind. I was confusing The Grudge with The Ring. I don't remember if I ever watched The Grudge.

psychological thrillers are better than blood, guts & gore, any day. I've seen plenty of both.

Carrie was freaky.

Se7en (Seven) was just a bit too much for me....only because each scenario was taken to the extreme.

Silence of the Lambs shook me to the core. Even though I've read the book twice & seen the movie countless times over the years, my hairs still stand on end.

Another good one....Hideaway. But skip the movie & go for the book. Dean Koonz is a great writer & that book was one of his best. I bought it & read it in less than a day......could NOT put it down even while at work. Later when the movie came out I was first in line, but very disappointed with it.

Children of the Corn

The Shining

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Exorcist

Friday the 13th 1 and 2

Phantasm

Amityville Horror

Not necessarily super-scary, but worth a watch is 30 Days of night.

A7683A83-7BFD-4AF6-8BBE-75105672DC40-11377-00000825F0D0D6BF_tmp.jpg
Children of the Corn

The Shining

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Exorcist

Friday the 13th 1 and 2

Phantasm

Amityville Horror

Not necessarily super-scary, but worth a watch is 30 Days of night.
I love Phantasm! It freaked me out in my youth when I first saw it. Very creepy. I may have to look it up on Netflix or Amazon streaming this weekend now that it is on my mind. It has been a long week and I could use a good brain drain !

Forum List

Back