Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Maverick is truly the GREATEST DOG FIGHTER that ever lived

Also the movie is superb
Best movie of the last 10-15 years

I gotta say.................this version of Top Gun was a hell of a lot better than the first.

I remember seeing it before (when it first came out) and after I'd been stationed with a Navy squadron (VFA-131 Wildcats). There were so many errors in the first one that it was actually a comedy to me after I'd been with the squadron for a while. Many of the other people in the squadron thought the movie was pretty bad as far as errors go as well.

At least in this one, they didn't show mountains when they were supposed to be flying in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

But...........there were still some pretty glaring errors. If Maverick had actually ejected when his plane broke up at Mach 10 at the edge of space, he MIGHT have survived the ejection, but he would have been turned into charcoal when he reentered the atmosphere.

At least they got some of it right about the aircraft having a hard time pulling 10G's. I remember there was a pilot in our squadron who earned the callsign "Snatch" during a det in Key West where the pilots were doing ACM (Air Combat Maneuvering). He pulled around 9Gs trying to win the fight. He managed to win, but when the plane came back, there were actually panels missing from the jet where he had stressed the airframe. He was nicknamed "Snatch" because they said he'd apparently been trying to pull the joystick out of the cockpit to win.

While it was a good movie and every bit as good as the first I have a problem with the use of outdated jets.
Why didnt they use the F-22 or the F-35?

They said the F35 would not work on the targets due to something like jamming
I dont remember but it seemed lame

While it was a good movie and every bit as good as the first I have a problem with the use of outdated jets.
Why didnt they use the F-22 or the F-35?

Probably because it was a movie about Naval pilots, and the Navy doesn't use those jets. They are supposed to be able to get the F-35 in the future, but not until at least next year (sometime in 2023 or after).

Very odd the Iranians had a F14 ??

Why not use high altitude bombers

Because in order for the bombs to properly hit their target, they would have to have someone on the ground "painting" the target with a laser. And, considering that the nuke plant that was to be bombed was deep in enemy territory, it would take a LOT to get a team on the ground in a place to lase the target for the bombers.

Probably because it was a movie about Naval pilots, and the Navy doesn't use those jets. They are supposed to be able to get the F-35 in the future, but not until at least next year (sometime in 2023 or after).

The U.S. Navy is the largest F-35C operator and has plans to procure 273 F-35Cs. Naval Air Station Lemoore is home to the Navy's Joint Strike Fighter Wing. The U.S. Marine Corps is also acquiring F-35C aircraft along with their F-35BSs.

The Marine Corps currently fields five F-35B and one F-35C fleet squadrons, while the Navy fields two F-35C fleet squadrons.

A disappointment after all the hype. Maybe the reviews wanted to make up for panning the first Top Gun. The mission is preposterous and the action scenes are reminiscent of Star Wars special effects. The plot is so cliched that it belongs in a soap opera.. Maverick is still a captain after 35 years as a Naval aviator? Give me a break.

A disappointment after all the hype. Maybe the reviews wanted to make up for panning the first Top Gun. The mission is preposterous and the action scenes are reminiscent of Star Wars special effects. The plot is so cliched that it belongs in a soap opera.. Maverick is still a captain after 35 years as a Naval aviator? Give me a break.
I think Top Gun Maverick had much better aerial scenes but the first Top Gun was better in all other categories, better plot, a much more sexy love story with Kelly McGillis,
and a better sound track.

Because in order for the bombs to properly hit their target, they would have to have someone on the ground "painting" the target with a laser. And, considering that the nuke plant that was to be bombed was deep in enemy territory, it would take a LOT to get a team on the ground in a place to lase the target for the bombers.
The whole mission seemed preposterous.

I feel lied to.
Again.
Lied to by everyone that said this wasn't just - yet another - Tom Cruise ego trip.
It was yet another Tom Cruise ego trip.
Same plot. Same script.
The best their ever is ladies and gentlemen... the one.. the only... TOM CRUISE!!!!!!!! THE MAN!!! THE LEGEND!!!!! [Cue rock music, flags waving]
For the love of God. Every thing is the same.
Super hot shot (pilot, race car driver, astronaut....whatever) is the only person on the planet that can pull off the impossible!! TOM CRUISE!!! THE MAN!! THE LEGEND!!!!!!

And he gets the super hot girl that, once again, when he is feeling down... convinces him that he is...
TOM CRUISE!!! THE MAN!! THE LEGEND!!!
[Cue music, flags]

Oh yeah... also cue that one asshole that didn't want him to be so awesome... after he saves the world is forced to give that little nod to the him to acknowledge that yes, he is... TOM CRUISE!!! THE MAN!! THE LEGEND!!!!!!

I feel lied to.
Again.
Lied to by everyone that said this wasn't just - yet another - Tom Cruise ego trip.
It was yet another Tom Cruise ego trip.
Same plot. Same script.
The best their ever is ladies and gentlemen... the one.. the only... TOM CRUISE!!!!!!!! THE MAN!!! THE LEGEND!!!!! [Cue rock music, flags waving]
For the love of God. Every thing is the same.
Super hot shot (pilot, race car driver, astronaut....whatever) is the only person on the planet that can pull off the impossible!! TOM CRUISE!!! THE MAN!! THE LEGEND!!!!!!

And he gets the super hot girl that, once again, when he is feeling down... convinces him that he is...
TOM CRUISE!!! THE MAN!! THE LEGEND!!!
[Cue music, flags]

Oh yeah... also cue that one asshole that didn't want him to be so awesome... after he saves the world is forced to give that little nod to the him to acknowledge that yes, he is... TOM CRUISE!!! THE MAN!! THE LEGEND!!!!!!
Frankly I enjoyed the first Top Gun better than Maverick. Tom Cruise at age 60 looks a little too long in the tooth to be playing these kind of roles.
What I liked about Top Gun Maverick was the flying scenes. I thought the rest of movie was boring. The plot was weak, and acting not much better.

Top Gun was a fresh new story with a pretty good plot. Kelly McGillis provided a more than adequate romance and the soundtrack was far superior to that of Top Gun Maverick but the flight scenes weren't as good.

If your primary interest is the excitement of the flight scenes, Maverick would be a good choice. However if you're interested in a more balanced movie, then Top Gun with a great sound track, a good romance, and an interesting plot, is a better choice.

Forum List

Back