Saturday Night Fever Reviewed: Vile portrayals, Somewhat Boring... But Guess What. Hollywood Says It's Iconic

It wasn't love. It was sexual abuse. This kid would have been badly damaged from this

Look, Ace, it was a fucking LOVE STORY. The entire movie was about love. My parents took us to see it in 1971 when I was only 14 years old! And there was no "cover your eyes!" or "don't look at this!" And the star character Hermie, he wanted it to happen and it was a sweet, gentle, tender experience that forever changed his life, and the next day he went back to see her and she was gone, but had left him a sweet love letter.

Don't try to make the movie something tasteless and vulgar it was not. It was also a best selling novel too. In 51 years, I've never once thought of it as a rape.

Look, Ace, it was a fucking LOVE STORY. The entire movie was about love. My parents took us to see it in 1971 when I was only 14 years old! And there was no "cover your eyes!" or "don't look at this!" And the star character Hermie, he wanted it to happen and it was a sweet, gentle, tender experience that forever changed his life, and the next day he went back to see her and she was gone, but had left him a sweet love letter.

Don't try to make the movie something tasteless and vulgar it was not. It was also a best selling novel too. In 51 years, I've never once thought of it as a rape.
No, it's about teenage infatuation. A 15-year-old kid as Hermie portrayed doesn't know what love is. She took advantage of his feelings. If this were real life, she'd be serving a jail sentence.

I realize things were viewed differently in 1970. Lots of things were. Sex abuse wasn't viewed as the serious offense we know it is today. And for a kid to land an adult woman like this was considered an achievement. But just the same, it would be highly damaging. And highly illegal.

This was Hollywood trash featuring immoral themes very common to that era, all bent on erasing societal mores of morality.

What does that have to do with the portrayal on film of rape of a minor?

That's the thing. The "portrayal" you seem to believe existed never did. According to Raucher, the viewer was left to conclude what took part.

If you saw it and thought it was rape, maybe you're just a diseased pervert...

No, it's about teenage infatuation. A 15-year-old kid as Hermie portrayed doesn't know what love is. She took advantage of his feelings.
She had just lost her husband in the war and needed companionship and tenderness.

If this were real life, she'd be serving a jail sentence.
This was 50 years ago and who was going to tell on her, certainly not Hermie.

I realize things were viewed differently in 1970. Lots of things were. Sex abuse wasn't viewed as the serious offense we know it is today.
There was nothing abusive or involuntary about it. One of the best films ever made.

And for a kid to land an adult woman like this was considered an achievement. But just the same, it would be highly damaging. And highly illegal.
Your view.

This was Hollywood trash featuring immoral themes very common to that era, all bent on erasing societal mores of morality.
Gee, and here I just thought it was just another great movie from an era of great movies. Bet you didn't like M.A.S.H neither because they exposed a naked Nurse Hoolihan in the shower, laughed at her and damaged her for life.

Look, don't watch the movie, but you'll never change the world's opinion that it was a great film. The film was a blockbuster, the most popular movie of that year, spun off a sequel movie a few years later and the book version was a best seller that went out of print several times.

That's the thing. The "portrayal" you seem to believe existed never did. According to Raucher, the viewer was left to conclude what took part.

If you saw it and thought it was rape, maybe you're just a diseased pervert...
Right. They got naked, got under sheets, and she laid on top of him....but they never did anything. lol.

She had just lost her husband in the war and needed companionship and tenderness.

This was 50 years ago and who was going to tell on her, certainly not Hermie.

There was nothing abusive or involuntary about it. One of the best films ever made.

Your view.

Gee, and here I just thought it was just another great movie from an era of great movies. Bet you didn't like M.A.S.H neither because they exposed a naked Nurse Hoolihan in the shower, laughed at her and damaged her for life.

Look, don't watch the movie, but you'll never change the world's opinion that it was a great film. The film was a blockbuster, the most popular movie of that year, spun off a sequel movie a few years later and the book version was a best seller that went out of print several times.
None of this changes the fact that the movie without a doubt portrayed statutory rape. An adult woman took had sex with a 15-year-old kid. It doesn't matter how you try to dress it up or play it down, how popular the movie was or when it was made. That's what the movie showed.

None of this changes the fact that the movie without a doubt portrayed statutory rape. An adult woman took had sex with a 15-year-old kid. It doesn't matter how you try to dress it up or play it down, how popular the movie was or when it was made. That's what the movie showed.

You saw penetration?

Wow, that's impressive...

You saw penetration?

Wow, that's impressive...
So therefore you're saying no movie in film history that wasn't rated X has ever portrayed a couple having sex because you couldn't see penetration. lol.
You leftwingers twist yourselves in knots and say completely ridiculous things just so you can disagree with Mashmont.

So therefore you're saying no movie in film history that wasn't rated X has ever portrayed a couple having sex because you couldn't see penetration. lol.
You leftwingers twist yourselves in knots and say completely ridiculous things just so you can disagree with Mashmont.

A left winger?? Moi?? You'd better ask around, dipshit. That couldn't be further from the truth.

The guy who was actually there said there was no sex, in the book or the screenplay. He said the movie portrayed the two holding each other. Naked, yes, but he said no intercourse took place, nor is that what the movie portrayed. They let the viewer decide what they saw.

Now, you want to see it as sexual intercourse for two reasons: You're a diseased pervert, and you believe you know what happened more so than the PERSON WHO WAS ACTUALLY THERE.

You're a funny guy. Not real bright, but funny...

A left winger?? Moi?? You'd better ask around, dipshit. That couldn't be further from the truth.

The guy who was actually there said there was no sex, in the book or the screenplay. He said the movie portrayed the two holding each other. Naked, yes, but he said no intercourse took place, nor is that what the movie portrayed. They let the viewer decide what they saw.

Now, you want to see it as sexual intercourse for two reasons: You're a diseased pervert, and you believe you know what happened more so than the PERSON WHO WAS ACTUALLY THERE.

You're a funny guy. Not real bright, but funny...
Right. They were naked, under the covers, and on top of each other, then the camera pans away. But the viewer is a pervert is he thinks sex was portrayed. You lefties get sillier by the minute. I guarantee you 100% of the people watching though it was a portrayal of sex, and that's all that matters. What viewers think. That's where the harm comes in for young viewers, and that's why the movie is leftwing trash.

It makes no difference what some screenplay or book said. It was what people thought was conveyed on the screen.

Last edited:
Right. They were naked, under the covers, and on top of each other, then the camera pans away. But the viewer is a pervert is he thinks sex was portrayed.

Well, you are. You're a diseased pervert...

You lefties get sillier by the minute.

You're a fucking idiot...

And a retard...

I guarantee you 100% of the people watching though it was a portrayal of sex, and that's all that matters. What viewers think. That's where the harm comes in for young viewers, and that's why the movie is leftwing trash.

"Summer of '42" was rated "R". It wasn't intended for "young viewers".

If you saw it and thought they had sex, then there's obviously something in your past which compels you to think that rape of a young boy took place.

Then again, being a Catholic, the rape of little boys isn't exactly news to you...

It makes no difference what some screenplay or book said. It was what people thought was conveyed on the screen.

Right. You're a diseased pervert...

No, it's about teenage infatuation. A 15-year-old kid as Hermie portrayed doesn't know what love is. She took advantage of his feelings. If this were real life, she'd be serving a jail sentence.

I realize things were viewed differently in 1970. Lots of things were. Sex abuse wasn't viewed as the serious offense we know it is today. And for a kid to land an adult woman like this was considered an achievement. But just the same, it would be highly damaging. And highly illegal.

Yeah... no.
Having been a 15 year old boy 4 decades ago, if I would have landed a beautiful grown woman and had sex??
Damage would have been the last thing I would have felt then and later.
I would have been the envy of every 15 year old on the planet.
Boys are not girls.

Yeah... no.
Having been a 15 year old boy 4 decades ago, if I would have landed a beautiful grown woman and had sex??
Damage would have been the last thing I would have felt then and later.
I would have been the envy of every 15 year old on the planet.
Boys are not girls.
You would have been damaged. Some people who have been sexually assaulted as children show immediate signs of damage. Others may not realize the dysfunction of their lives because of rape until later. The fact that people can see this as normal shows where we are as a society.

Well, you are. You're a diseased pervert...

You're a fucking idiot...

And a retard...

"Summer of '42" was rated "R". It wasn't intended for "young viewers".

If you saw it and thought they had sex, then there's obviously something in your past which compels you to think that rape of a young boy took place.

Then again, being a Catholic, the rape of little boys isn't exactly news to you...

Right. You're a diseased pervert...
Question. Why do you feel the need to troll so heavily and act like an ass with the junvenile name calling? Why would a grown man, especially one who claims to be a conservative act like that on a public forum? Why can't you just have normal polite conversation like an adult?

The film portrayed rape, which is what we're talking about.

Yeah, leave it to you to try and limit the conversation to what you want it to be about.

The movie was so so. The soundtrack was a huge hit. The disco era, while not my thing, was a big deal.

Your attempt to portray SNF and the other movies you listed as "utter trash" is typical. The movie, as you saw it, was rated 'R'. If you don't want to see sex, nudity and violence, stick with 'G' rated movies.

Think One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Summer of '42, and The Last Picture Show are all classic movies. No, they are not 'G' rated Disney movies, but they were some of the best of all time in their genre. They tell stories. That is what they are supposed to do. And stories, like life, have some parts that are hard to watch and some parts that show the worst in people. If you can't handle that, perhaps you should stop going to the movies.

Forum List

Back