Saturday Night Fever Reviewed: Vile portrayals, Somewhat Boring... But Guess What. Hollywood Says It's Iconic

Mashmont

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2022
It's true. In 45 years, I had never seen Saturday Night Fever. The only part I had ever seen was on TV where Tony and his Italian family are sitting at the dinner table and Tony's dad slaps the back of his head. But once again, and I say this all the time lately, I didn't know there was a theater version that was far far more explicit. Filthy language and themes, frontal nudity, gang rape scenes. Utter trash.

But the kiddies liked it for the dance scenes back in 1977. If I didn't know better, I'd guess Travolta was gay as the day is long the way he looks and struts on the dance floor. The dance scenes were boring to me. But it was indeed a time capsule. Seems like yesterday all the guys had mustaches and the women had the Toni Tennille do.

The premise: Tony and Annette (Donna Pescow) were practicing together to enter a disco dance contest. Annette has a crush on Tony. But Tony sees Stephanie dancing, and is smitten. He ditches the groveling Annette and makes a play for Stephanie as both dance partner and girlfriend.

Travolta was solid as usual. But his costar, leading lady Karen Lynn Gorney was miscast as Stephanie and her acting was poor. She couldn't decide what she was. Aloof or silly. Dominating or obsequious. Her reactions didn't fit the scenes. Travolta's Tony was supposed to be 19 and Stephanie 20. But Gorney was 32 and looked it. She was supposed to be his love interest. Instead, she looked more like his teacher, maybe even his mom.

The degrading rape scene and just general disrespectfulness shown to Annette would never fly today. Metoo Hollywood would never allow such a portrayal. Travolta is not 100% convincing as a gang tough, but he does OK.

The sexual depravity and fight scene detracted from the movie, IMHO, but of course leftwing Hollywood loved it, rating it as culturally significant and among the greatest films of all time. The more perverse in the 1970s, the better, it seems. (Think One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Summer of '42, and The Last Picture Show). I guess SNF did usher in the disco movement and spawned a whole slew of #1 hits, chiefly by the Bee Gees. But as a movie, I'd give it a 5 or 6 out of 10. I never really rooted for Tony. In fact, most of the time, I didn't like him at all.

Last edited:
It was iconic only if you were into the short lived late 70s disco.
Grease was faaaaaar more "iconic" and long lived than the easily forgettable SNF.
Oh... I should say..... ugh... hated them both

It's true. In 45 years, I had never seen Saturday Night Fever. The only part I had ever seen was on TV where Tony and his Italian family are sitting at the dinner table and Tony's dad slaps the back of his head. But once again, and I say this all the time lately, I didn't know there was a theater version that was far far more explicit. Filthy language and themes, frontal nudity, gang rape scenes. Utter trash.

But the kiddies liked it for the dance scenes back in 1977. If I didn't know better, I'd guess Travolta was gay as the day is long the way he looks and struts on the dance floor. The dance scenes were boring to me. But it was indeed a time capsule. Seems like yesterday all the guys had mustaches and the women had the Toni Tennille do.

The premise: Tony and Annette (Donna Pescow) were practicing together to enter a disco dance contest. Annette has a crush on Tony. But Tony sees Stephanie dancing, and is smitten. He ditches the groveling Annette and makes a play for Stephanie as both dance partner and girlfriend.

Travolta was solid as usual. But his costar, leading lady Karen Lynn Gorney was miscast as Stephanie and her acting was poor. She couldn't decide what she was. Aloof or silly. Dominating or obsequious. Her reactions didn't fit the scenes. Travolta's Tony was supposed to be 19 and Stephanie 20. But Gorney was 32 and looked it. She was supposed to be his love interest. Instead, she looked more like his teacher, maybe even his mom.

The degrading rape scene and just general disrespectfulness shown to Annette would never fly today. Metoo Hollywood would never allow such a portrayal. Travolta is not 100% convincing as a gang tough, but he does OK.

The sexual depravity and fight scene detracted from the movie, IMHO, but of course leftwing Hollywood loved it, rating it as culturally significant and among the greatest films of all time. The more perverse in the 1970s, the better, it seems. (Think One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Summer of '42, and The Last Picture Show). I guess SNF did usher in the disco movement and spawned a whole slew of #1 hits, chiefly by the Bee Gees. But as a movie, I'd give it a 5 or 6 out of 10. I never really rooted for Tony. In fact, most of the time, I didn't like him at all.
I saw the movie when it came out in the 70's. I liked the music and dancing. The story and script were ok but nothing special. The dancing was highly stylized disco. Today the movie is very dated, not just because it is half century old but because the dancing, language, costumes, and mannerisms exaggerated the era. There are many movies made in the 70's that held up well such as All the President's Men, The Godfather, Fidler on the Roof, and Jaws. Movies that go overboard exaggerating, language, dress, and mannerism of the era become dated.

It was iconic only if you were into the short lived late 70s disco.
Grease was faaaaaar more "iconic" and long lived than the easily forgettable SNF.
Oh... I should say..... ugh... hated them both
I agree. Grease was a far better movie. There was sequel in 80's. Since the movie, Grease has been performed on stage in the US, UK, or other countries almost continuously since the movie was released. It is currently being performed in London.

Hollywood doesn't make art, it makes money, lots of it. Hollywood's definition of "iconic" is self serving. Disco is dead and SNF is a cartoon.

Dude welcome to FIFTY YEARS AGO.

Hey, just think: You've got something else you can make illegal in your fantasy Catholic country!

You mean the statutory rape of a minor by an adult woman?

Couple things:

The film was largely biographical. It simply tells the story of Hermie Raucher's summer spent on Nantucket Island.

Second, there was no rape. Raucher, himself, has confirmed this. In an interview he stated that the encounter was primarily holding, but they let you think what you wanted in the film. Raucher has also put to rest the claim that he was, in any way, damaged by the encounter...

Couple things:

The film was largely biographical. It simply tells the story of Hermie Raucher's summer spent on Nantucket Island.

Second, there was no rape. Raucher, himself, has confirmed this. In an interview he stated that the encounter was primarily holding, but they let you think what you wanted in the film. Raucher has also put to rest the claim that he was, in any way, damaged by the encounter...
The film portrayed rape, which is what we're talking about.

Forum List

Back