Sat. Nite NFL: Dallas at home vs Detroit

There is a consensus from Eagles fans that their defense is not good. It took near the whole season to admit it. Plus, there is a growing anger towards the coaching. There seems to be some locker room issues which the public is not privy of. Play calling is questionable to go along with it. These things other teams experience and we are now. It's just that are we still a good team or is it time to rebuild? One and done may be a quick death compared to dragging out the inevitable. We won games this year however it was pure torture watching most of them.
Watching the Eagles fans lose it was great!

The “What the hell was that” lady:

At the beginning of the season the Eagles appeared to have the best D-line and O-line in the World? How can you lose 4-5 games in a row with that Advantage?

At the beginning of the season the Eagles appeared to have the best D-line and O-line in the World? How can you lose 4-5 games in a row with that Advantage?
They invest on offense and defense lines more than other positions. Their sacks were down this year and their offensive line weaker. They lost five guys on defense to free agency and did not replace them with the same talent. They have some older players. Their coaching is criticized with play calling. And Hurts regressed somewhat with criticisms of some of his defects from college. Also, he got the huge contract which stopped a couple of signings or more. Going to the Super bowl is not a guarantee. Winning it and you are remembered. There are many teams and coaches who lost and became footnotes.

They invest on offense and defense lines more than other positions. Their sacks were down this year and their offensive line weaker. They lost five guys on defense to free agency and did not replace them with the same talent. They have some older players. Their coaching is criticized with play calling. And Hurts regressed somewhat with criticisms of some of his defects from college. Also, he got the huge contract which stopped a couple of signings or more. Going to the Super bowl is not a guarantee. Winning it and you are remembered. There are many teams and coaches who lost and became footnotes.

I don't follow the Eagles so I don't know squat about them, but have they also had to deal with a more than average number of injuries? You say they have some older players, which may mean more injuries like back issues. And losing 5 defensive guys in FA does not help the cohesiveness on that side of the ball.

A word about the penalty on the 2-pt conversion at the end. I've never been a fan of trickery and deception, win or lose it fair and square, but these days the teams try different ploys to use the rules to their advantage. Which is understandable as long as the rules are not broken, but the refs are supposed to make sure the defense has a fair chance to adjust to the offensive changes before the ball is snapped, and that's one reason why players wearing an ineligible number have to report to the ref so he can inform the defense and give them a little bit of time to adjust whatever their doing. In this case, the Lions sent 3 OTs over to the ref to confuse the defense as to which one was going to be eligible, and apparently the ref got it wrong. Why was Sewell there next to Decker if not to confuse the Cowboys? Why did the ref think Skipper was going to be eligible if Decker already told him it was me? Was Skipper using some kind of hand signal that could be used in a loud environment to indicate himself as an eligible receiver? Skipper had come into the game earlier several times and reported himself as eligible, did the ref assume he was doing so again even though Decker said it was me? The ref announced Skipper as the eligible OT, so couldn't the ref stop the clock right then and there if the Lions said no, it's Decker? As important as that play was, shouldn't the ref have the option to stop the play clock to make sure everything was clear? Did any of the Lions say anything?

I don't follow the Eagles so I don't know squat about them, but have they also had to deal with a more than average number of injuries? You say they have some older players, which may mean more injuries like back issues. And losing 5 defensive guys in FA does not help the cohesiveness on that side of the ball.
The salary cap and having players on one year contracts or prove it contracts or last year of contracts and want to get "paid" is something all teams can deal with. Some do it better. If everything aligns you can ride the wave and go deep into the playoffs. If nothing else the NFL is parity. Half decent front offices can improve a team drastically. Having a great quarterback helps immensely. Some teams have no luck drafting or trading for them.

Forum List

Back