Week 17 NFL Picks

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
May 4, 2009
A Picturesque Apocalypse
The end of another NFL regular season.

1:00 pm Atlanta Falcons Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Disappointing seasons for both teams, each having had playoff expectations going in. The Falcons are a notch above the Bucs
1:00 pm Carolina Panthers New Orleans Saints - Saints rest many of their starters and the Panthers finally win another game when it's meaningless
1:00 pm Dallas Cowboys New York Giants - Cowboys can't gain or lose in the standings, so rest starters
1:00 pm Detroit Lions Green Bay Packers - Green Bay gets home field edge in battle of mediocre teams
1:00 pm Jacksonville Jaguars Houston Texans - Texans are at home and still fighting for playoff position. Not only do they clinch the AFC South with a win, they could potentially end up the #1 seed in the AFC if a bunch of other teams lose. They could also be the #2 if they win and the Pats lose.
1:00 pm Miami Dolphins Buffalo Bills - When will these teams be relevant again? I suppose at the same time the Pats finally fall from their dynasty. Bills win at home
1:00 pm New York Jets New England Patriots - The Jets have been surprisingly competitive, but I just can't take them to win in New England when the Pats have something to play for. The Pats have looked very flawed, but Brady and Belichick get a win against a team they should beat
4:25 pm Arizona Cardinals Seattle Seahawks - Even if they rest starters, the Seahawks beat the Cardinals, who are probably the worst team in the league
4:25 pm Chicago Bears Minnesota Vikings - Very tough to call this one. The Vikings are at home and are playing to get into the playoffs, but I think the Chicago D stifles the Vikings offense and the Bears get the win
4:25 pm Cincinnati Bengals Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steelers win easily, but it isn't enough as the Ravens take the division
4:25 pm Cleveland Browns Baltimore Ravens - Cleveland has been decent this year, but the Ravens take it at home to secure the division
4:25 pm Los Angeles Chargers Denver Broncos - The Chargers are just too much better than the Broncos
4:25 pm Oakland Raiders Kansas City Chiefs - Maybe this is a trap game, but I think the Chiefs get the #1 seed against the lowly Raiders
4:25 pm Philadelphia Eagles Washington Redskins - The Redskins keep in close as they try to play spoilers, but the Eagles are playing too well of late
4:25 pm San Francisco 49ers Los Angeles Rams - The Rams have had some issues lately, and the 49ers have been playing well, but with the Rams needing a win to get the #2 seed, they will get the win
8:20 pm Indianapolis Colts Tennessee Titans - Game of the week. This is tough to call. Mariotta is hurting, but the Colts were barely able to squeak past the Giants last week, and it's in Tennessee...I think the Colts have been more well-rounded and the Titans' lack of a passing game is their downfall. The Titans could actually get a first round bye with the right scenario taking place, but instead they get knocked out of the playoffs

1:00 pm Atlanta Falcons Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Disappointing seasons for both teams, each having had playoff expectations going in. The Falcons are a notch above the Bucs
1:00 pm Carolina Panthers New Orleans Saints - Saints rest many of their starters and the Panthers finally win another game when it's meaningless
1:00 pm Dallas Cowboys New York Giants - Cowboys can't gain or lose in the standings, so rest starters
1:00 pm Detroit Lions Green Bay Packers - Green Bay gets home field edge in battle of mediocre teams
1:00 pm Jacksonville Jaguars Houston Texans - Texans are at home and still fighting for playoff position. Not only do they clinch the AFC South with a win, they could potentially end up the #1 seed in the AFC if a bunch of other teams lose. They could also be the #2 if they win and the Pats lose.
1:00 pm Miami Dolphins Buffalo Bills - When will these teams be relevant again? I suppose at the same time the Pats finally fall from their dynasty. Bills win at home
1:00 pm New York Jets New England Patriots - The Jets have been surprisingly competitive, but I just can't take them to win in New England when the Pats have something to play for. The Pats have looked very flawed, but Brady and Belichick get a win against a team they should beat
4:25 pm Arizona Cardinals Seattle Seahawks - Even if they rest starters, the Seahawks beat the Cardinals, who are probably the worst team in the league
4:25 pm Chicago Bears Minnesota Vikings - Very tough to call this one. The Vikings are at home and are playing to get into the playoffs, but I think the Chicago D stifles the Vikings offense and the Bears get the win
4:25 pm Cincinnati Bengals Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steelers win easily, but it isn't enough as the Ravens take the division
4:25 pm Cleveland Browns Baltimore Ravens - Cleveland has been decent this year, but the Ravens take it at home to secure the division
4:25 pm Los Angeles Chargers Denver Broncos - The Chargers are just too much better than the Broncos
4:25 pm Oakland Raiders Kansas City Chiefs - Maybe this is a trap game, but I think the Chiefs get the #1 seed against the lowly Raiders
4:25 pm Philadelphia Eagles Washington Redskins - The Redskins keep in close as they try to play spoilers, but the Eagles are playing too well of late
4:25 pm San Francisco 49ers Los Angeles Rams - The Rams have had some issues lately, and the 49ers have been playing well, but with the Rams needing a win to get the #2 seed, they will get the win
8:20 pm Indianapolis Colts Tennessee Titans - Game of the week. This is tough to call. Mariotta is hurting, but the Colts were barely able to squeak past the Giants last week, and it's in Tennessee...I think the Colts have been more well-rounded and the Titans' lack of a passing game is their downfall. The Titans could actually get a first round bye with the right scenario taking place, but instead they get knocked out of the playoffs

Well, this season went by quickly. Already at the last week of the regular season and 3 playoff spots on the line.

Fish at Bills --- Going with Bills at home.

Failcons at Succaneers --- Going with Succaneers at home.

Cowpies at Jints --- Will Cowpies rest players since they are locked into 4th seed? I would. Jints at home.

Pussies at Saints --- Think the Saints have locked up homefield throughout playoffs already, but they should beat the Panthers at home.

Jets at Pats --- Pats should win at home at get a first round bye.

Jagoffs at Texassans --- Texans playing for potential first round bye should Pats screw up. They have clinched a playoff spot, but division title is still in play.

Kitties at Pukers --- Pukers at home.

Iggles at Skins --- Don't know how the Skins will manage to play against the mighty, world beating, unstoppable Iggles.

Chargers at Broncos --- Division title is in play for Chargers if they win and Chefs lose.

Raiders at Chefs --- Chefs should win another shootout at home. Division title is on the line. If they lose and Chargers win, they play a wildcard game.

Bears at Vikings --- The mighty Bears go on the road to meet the resurging Vikes. Vikes in a must win game at home. If Vikings win, they are in. Could become the 5th seed if the Seachix lose. Most likely Vikes play Bears again in the wild card game.

Browns at Ravens --- Must win game for Ravens. If they lose and Steelers win, Steelers win the division. Wild card may still be in play, not sure.

Whiners at Rams --- Rams playing for first round Bye.

Bungles at Steelers --- Steelers in do or die situation. They need to win and hope Ravens lose.

Cards at Seachix --- Seachix at home.

Colts at Titans --- Do or die for both teams. Titans at home.

Steelers might have a questionable Connor RB back who hasn't run in weeks, and might lose a questionable Antonio Brown star receiver, but against the pathetic beaten, demoralized Bengals, if they still lose to them, they don't deserve to show their faces in Pittsburgh.

That said, I predict the Steelers will make it a knockout game showing their tremendous talent and potential, only to have it anticlimactically snuffed out when the Browns make a hell of a rally to it, but ultimately lose in a close game won by the Ravens late in the 4th AT THE VERY SAME TIME, to put the stake in the heart of the Steelers for another bungled season.

If I were the team who would benefit from a patriots loss I’d publically offer the jets a second round pick if they can beat the patriots today.

It’s worth a bi for someone. Very valuable. Look at New England. They only win super bowls when they get a bi the first week.

If New England wins today some other team will have to play an extra game and get a harder seed or bracket.

Let’s go Jets. Be the spoiler

Foles with an NFL record for most consecutive complete passes in a game.

25 consecutive.

Receiver bobbled the 26th.

Steelers might have a questionable Connor RB back who hasn't run in weeks, and might lose a questionable Antonio Brown star receiver, but against the pathetic beaten, demoralized Bengals, if they still lose to them, they don't deserve to show their faces in Pittsburgh.

That said, I predict the Steelers will make it a knockout game showing their tremendous talent and potential, only to have it anticlimactically snuffed out when the Browns make a hell of a rally to it, but ultimately lose in a close game won by the Ravens late in the 4th AT THE VERY SAME TIME, to put the stake in the heart of the Steelers for another bungled season.

Kinda creepy, I was a little too close on that one, except the part about where the Steelers actually came out and schooled the Bengals. Didn't happen. Instead as usual, the Steelers played like they were the totally beaten up team with all the hurt key players and the Bengals played as if they had a playoff berth to fight to keep alive.

Big Bird Ben.jpg

Big Bird Ben came out with offense off balance, off kilter, barely able to score a field goal in the first half against a terrible team using a kicker only with the team for 48 hours, the throwing game almost absent as they relied on two runners untested from injuries and inexperience to make small gains, and probably for good reason as Ben started right away trying to throw another game away with a pick 6 that left the viewer scratching their head wondering if he was even watching the field.

mike-tomlin-overreactions14.jpg

Meantime, Deer In The Headlights Tomlin stood by on the sideline trying not to pull any too-cute plays again that might further blow up in the Steeler's faces. In the end, the Steelers just barely managed to beat another of one of the worst teams in the league proving once and for all, much as I might hate to admit it as a huge (and very disappointed) Steeler fan that Tomlin is largely incapable of either motivating his team or getting them prepared or focused to get the job done even when their careers and seasons are on the line, despite Ben being a pretty good QB albeit with a depth perception problem, a pretty good RB, some very good receivers and Tight Ends, and a more than competent defense usually when they decide to give it their all.

The football gods did the right thing tonight as had somehow Cleveland won the FG needed and eked the 9-6 Steelers into the post season, truth be known, they just don't have any business being there with the good teams and had no chance of advancing very far before being soundly flummoxed.

Oh well, at least six of the Steelers can go to Hawaii now to sort of play around in the Pro Bowl. Until next year.

14-2 for the final week. Dallas kept their starters in (although Elliot was out for the game) and won by a point. Green Bay lost Rodgers relatively early and sucked against Detroit even before Rodgers went out. Seattle barely beat the worst team in the league in the Cardinals, and Pittsburgh barely beat a bad Bengals team when the Steelers were still hoping for a chance at the playoffs. KC and the Rams took care of their business against teams they should be able to beat. Chicago beat a desperate Vikings team, and did so in fairly dominant fashion. The Colts beat up a Titans team without its starting QB to get into the playoffs, and I don't think anyone wants to play the Colts right now. They have been surprisingly well-rounded.

Now it's playoff time!

Fish at Bills --- Going with Bills at home. --- Check

Failcons at Succaneers --- Going with Succaneers at home. --- Nope, Failcons eke out a win. Succaneers coach fired.

Cowpies at Jints --- Will Cowpies rest players since they are locked into 4th seed? I would. Jints at home. --- Nope. Cowpies win on desperation pass.

Pussies at Saints --- Think the Saints have locked up homefield throughout playoffs already, but they should beat the Panthers at home. --- Nope. Saints rest some players and Pussies finally break their long losing streak.

Jets at Pats --- Pats should win at home at get a first round bye. --- Check.

Jagoffs at Texassans --- Texans playing for potential first round bye should Pats screw up. They have clinched a playoff spot, but division title is still in play. --- Check.

Kitties at Pukers --- Pukers at home. --- Nope. Rodgers got hurt early and Pukers got shut out.

Iggles at Skins --- Don't know how the Skins will manage to play against the mighty, world beating, unstoppable Iggles. --- Check. Guess the football gods saw through my reverse psychology ploy.

Chargers at Broncos --- Division title is in play for Chargers if they win and Chefs lose. --- Check.

Raiders at Chefs --- Chefs should win another shootout at home. Division title is on the line. If they lose and Chargers win, they play a wildcard game. --- Check. Wasn't even close.

Bears at Vikings --- The mighty Bears go on the road to meet the resurging Vikes. Vikes in a must win game at home. If Vikings win, they are in. Could become the 5th seed if the Seachix lose. Most likely Vikes play Bears again in the wild card game.--- Nope. Disappointing end to a disappointing season.

Browns at Ravens --- Must win game for Ravens. If they lose and Steelers win, Steelers win the division. Wild card may still be in play, not sure. --- Check.

Whiners at Rams --- Rams playing for first round Bye. --- Check. Easy win.

Bungles at Steelers --- Steelers in do or die situation. They need to win and hope Ravens lose. --- Check. Steelers win, but out of the playoffs.

Cards at Seachix --- Seachix at home. --- Check.

Colts at Titans --- Do or die for both teams. Titans at home. --- Nope. Colts playing very well. May be dark horse in playoffs.

So another regular season over and playoff matchups are set. Since my team is out of it, guess I'll root for the Rams in the NFC and the Chefs in the AFC.

Hope everyone has a very happy New Year!

man at the beginning of the year i was picking the rams and chiefs to go to the superbow.the chiefs still have a good chance.their defense is going to have to play much better than they did against the chargers though to have a chance. maybe having the R and R will help.

I dont see my Rams going though after they laid an egg to the eagles when they had EVERYTHING to play for. they will never go to new orleans and beat the saints there. here is why i think the chiefs have a chance but not the rams. the chiefs held the chokeland faiders to a mere field goal sunday.while that was against a crappy team which is nothing to get excited about,they still did it against a quarterback who has been around a while

the RAMS on the other hand though,they won 38 to 24 against the niners who are every bit as crappy as the raiders. THREE touchdowns to a NINER team that is playing with a journeyman backup? this Rams team has got to have the worst defense i have ever seen. they will be lucky to make it past the first round.

man at the beginning of the year i was picking the rams and chiefs to go to the superbow.the chiefs still have a good chance.their defense is going to have to play much better than they did against the chargers though to have a chance. maybe having the R and R will help.

I dont see my Rams going though after they laid an egg to the eagles when they had EVERYTHING to play for. they will never go to new orleans and beat the saints there. here is why i think the chiefs have a chance but not the rams. the chiefs held the chokeland faiders to a mere field goal sunday.while that was against a crappy team which is nothing to get excited about,they still did it against a quarterback who has been around a while

the RAMS on the other hand though,they won 38 to 24 against the niners who are every bit as crappy as the raiders. THREE touchdowns to a NINER team that is playing with a journeyman backup? this Rams team has got to have the worst defense i have ever seen. they will be lucky to make it past the first round.

A "journeyman backup"? Nick Mullens is an undrafted free agent in his second year, both with the 49ers. He's never been on another NFL team. :lol:

Mullens is also 4th all time in passing yardage in a QBs first 8 starts.

You know who's a journeyman backup? Ryan Fitzpatrick. If I recall, he orchestrated a week 1 win against the Saints. ;)

A "journeyman backup"? Nick Mullens is an undrafted free agent in his second year, both with the 49ers. He's never been on another NFL team. :lol:

Mullens is also 4th all time in passing yardage in a QBs first 8 starts.

You know who's a journeyman backup? Ryan Fitzpatrick. If I recall, he orchestrated a week 1 win against the Saints. ;)

okay then a QB who is a backup in making his first full season start.the fact they gave up so many points to such a crappy team when they need to be FIXING things turning it up a notch entering the playoffs,i have little faith in this team.they will be LUCKY if they make it to the NFC title games against the saints.

Forum List

Back