Sarah Brady Dead at 73

Pogo....you have to stop buying anti-gun nut propaganda....they let their irrational fear of guns compromise their ability to tell the truth.....

Are guns more likely to kill you than a car is No - Crime Prevention Research Center

Here is the letter that we submitted:

Dear Letters Editor:

Your “Bangers v bullets” (Jan 10th) misleadingly claims that car deaths have fallen more than guns deaths because cars face more safety regulations.

Compare similar categories. While 99.4% of car deaths arise from accidents in 2013, that percentage is only 1.5% for guns. 64% of gun fatalities are suicides. If increased safety regulations are the solution, why is it that between 2000 and 2012 accidental deaths from cars fell by 18% and those from guns by 35%?

Gun deaths are rising because there has been a 28% increase in firearm suicides. But non-firearm suicides increased even faster (56%) –something is causing suicides generally to rise.

Despite your claim, domestic violence simply doesn’t account for a large share of gun deaths — only 3% of gun deaths in 2012 involved murders of immediate or extended family members.

The regulations you mention do real harm. About 99 percent of background check denials under the Brady Act are false positives, not criminals. Some denials mean people can’t defend themselves.

As for gun deaths for 15-24 year olds, most involve gang fights. One solution: Try legalizing drugs.

Regards,

The claim that total automobile deaths have fallen relative to firearm deaths can be seen in this figure, though it is also clear that the drop occurred during the recession of 2008 and 2009 (part of that drop is due in part to some reduction in driving).

The types of deaths by cause show that auto accidents are overwhelmingly accidental deaths and those by firearms are suicides.

There are two problems with the claim that regulations are responsible for the drop in accidental motor vehicle deaths . First, virtually the entire drop occurred in two years during the recession (2008 and 2009) and it is hard to think of any new regulations that would produce such a sudden and large drop (most regulations would have a gradual impact over time has new cars with those features made up a greater and greater share of the cars on the road). Most likely the drop occurred because of changing driving habits (such as some reduction in how much people drove). It is because of this point that we are unlikely to see firearm deaths exceed motor vehicle deaths in 2015.

The long sustained high gasoline prices since the beginning of the Obama administration also had an impact. From the beginning of 2011 until the end of November 2014, the price of gasoline never fell before $3.00 a gallon. One has to go back to the beginning of the Obama administration to find gas prices as low as they have now gone. The new lower prices of gas at about $2 will probably also increase driving distances, particularly if the prices stay low for a while.

Maybe you need to spend less time fellating your gun barrel and more time learning to read.

Here's what the poster said:

and yet cars are used to kill far more people than firearms

Get that? Cars are used for that purpose. That means intentional vehicular homicide. And that's what I didn't find figures on, although it's his point to prove, not mine. And I demonstrated that ALL car deaths, the overwhelming majority of which are accidents, are on the same level as death by firearm. Now separate out how many of those vehicular deaths are intentionally running somebody over.

Second, a death is a death -- suicide doesn't "not-count" because of who its target is. That is in fact part of the point that firearms make it that easy to do. So you're massaging numbers on both ends.

Here's an idea: stop fetishizing death and violence and toys that go boom-boom. What a concept.

My condolences. I did not agree with her, but she took a stand for what she believed in, and I think her motives were pure. There are not many better things I could say about anyone. I hope that she and Jim are reunited and that they walk streets of gold together this Easter's Eve.

bs the brady campaign lied /lies through their teeth on gun issues

besides that

the road to hell is paved

with liberal intentions

Can't escape the simple fact.

Cars are far more numerous than guns and kill proportionately. Yes, they (cars) can be used for "worthwhile" purposes but while doing that they're also polluting the air!

No question. Before messing with guns it's essential that we get motor vehicles out of the hands of ordinary people and restrict their use to law enforcement and emergency services. Volunteer fire departments in rural areas? Think of them as a well-regulated militia and allow them to have motor vehicles but only to use them in performance of duty.

Think of the children whose lives would be spared!

Pogo....you have to stop buying anti-gun nut propaganda....they let their irrational fear of guns compromise their ability to tell the truth.....

Are guns more likely to kill you than a car is No - Crime Prevention Research Center

Here is the letter that we submitted:

Dear Letters Editor:

Your “Bangers v bullets” (Jan 10th) misleadingly claims that car deaths have fallen more than guns deaths because cars face more safety regulations.

Compare similar categories. While 99.4% of car deaths arise from accidents in 2013, that percentage is only 1.5% for guns. 64% of gun fatalities are suicides. If increased safety regulations are the solution, why is it that between 2000 and 2012 accidental deaths from cars fell by 18% and those from guns by 35%?

Gun deaths are rising because there has been a 28% increase in firearm suicides. But non-firearm suicides increased even faster (56%) –something is causing suicides generally to rise.

Despite your claim, domestic violence simply doesn’t account for a large share of gun deaths — only 3% of gun deaths in 2012 involved murders of immediate or extended family members.

The regulations you mention do real harm. About 99 percent of background check denials under the Brady Act are false positives, not criminals. Some denials mean people can’t defend themselves.

As for gun deaths for 15-24 year olds, most involve gang fights. One solution: Try legalizing drugs.

Regards,

The claim that total automobile deaths have fallen relative to firearm deaths can be seen in this figure, though it is also clear that the drop occurred during the recession of 2008 and 2009 (part of that drop is due in part to some reduction in driving).

The types of deaths by cause show that auto accidents are overwhelmingly accidental deaths and those by firearms are suicides.

There are two problems with the claim that regulations are responsible for the drop in accidental motor vehicle deaths . First, virtually the entire drop occurred in two years during the recession (2008 and 2009) and it is hard to think of any new regulations that would produce such a sudden and large drop (most regulations would have a gradual impact over time has new cars with those features made up a greater and greater share of the cars on the road). Most likely the drop occurred because of changing driving habits (such as some reduction in how much people drove). It is because of this point that we are unlikely to see firearm deaths exceed motor vehicle deaths in 2015.

The long sustained high gasoline prices since the beginning of the Obama administration also had an impact. From the beginning of 2011 until the end of November 2014, the price of gasoline never fell before $3.00 a gallon. One has to go back to the beginning of the Obama administration to find gas prices as low as they have now gone. The new lower prices of gas at about $2 will probably also increase driving distances, particularly if the prices stay low for a while.

Maybe you need to spend less time fellating your gun barrel and more time learning to read.

Here's what the poster said:

Get that? Cars are used for that purpose. That means intentional vehicular homicide. And that's what I didn't find figures on, although it's his point to prove, not mine. And I demonstrated that ALL car deaths, the overwhelming majority of which are accidents, are on the same level as death by firearm. Now separate out how many of those vehicular deaths are intentionally running somebody over.

Second, a death is a death -- suicide doesn't "not-count" because of who its target is. That is in fact part of the point that firearms make it that easy to do. So you're massaging numbers on both ends.

Here's an idea: stop fetishizing death and violence and toys that go boom-boom. What a concept.

what idiocy. they aren't intentionally used for that, merely used

anyone who spews the term fetish or fetishizing is probably not worth listening to

that guns are not nearly as dangerous as cars

I suspect if lefties perceived car owners as mainly being Conservatives or Republicans, lefties would try to ban cars.

STILL completely false analogy. Guns are made to shoot; cars aren't. You can't sit in a tree or in the trunk of a Chevy or behind a bush on a grassy knoll and pick people off with a car. Even if you wanted to.

The simple fact remains, cars are made for movement; guns are made for aggression. They're two completely different things.

and you still seem unable to get the point

We have had hundreds of thousand of fatalities due to auto accidents

So many in fact that we insisted on safer cars, better roads, insurance, licensed drivers, tougher driving laws. All of these have combined to reduce our auto fatality rate in half

Why cant we do the same with our gun fatality rate?

Because you can't stop people killing themselves...

I laughed when I saw your suicide statistics

Why do you so easily dismiss suicide? Those deaths don't matter?

Suicide by gun is different than suicide by other means. A suicide attempt by gun is instantneous and permanent. Lets look at the second most popular method of suicide....pills
Take an overdose and you have time to change your mind and call for help. You can be found unconscious and revived
A bullet to the head does not give you that luxury

Japan has absolute gun control....and they kill themselves at twice our rate...ditto a SouthKorea.....jumping in front of a train or off of a building...just as one way as a gun moron....

Last edited:
what you don't get...moron...is that gun murder, as intentional as it is.....is only 8-9000 each year.......that is intentional breaking of the law with a gun...out of over 320 million guns in private hands...

Now moron....car accidents are over 30,000 a year........a tool that causes over 30,000 unintentional deaths a year...........with all of the safety features, with all of the mandatory driving instruction.....

so the car is far more dangerous than guns and we allow 16 year old children to drive them and they can't own a hand gun till they are 21....

You are the moron.........

Gun control, no matter how many lefties lie, is not and never was about gun violence or the victims. It's about control, it always has been.

If they cared about the people killed they would look into the reasons people kill. Instead they concentrate on the tool used. They only do that because it's opposite of what the right believes. It's stupid partisan hack bull shit from Progressives. The most worthless and destructive idiots mankind has ever produced.

Weird that you can't define it then, innit?

ZZZZzzzzzz....

Gun control, no matter how many lefties lie, is not and never was about gun violence or the victims. It's about control, it always has been.

If they cared about the people killed they would look into the reasons people kill. Instead they concentrate on the tool used. They only do that because it's opposite of what the right believes. It's stupid partisan hack bull shit from Progressives. The most worthless and destructive idiots mankind has ever produced.

Regardless of the reason.....a gun provides the most efficient killing tool

Least amount of effort, instantaneous and no need to get up close to your intended victim

No shit?

STILL completely false analogy. Guns are made to shoot; cars aren't. You can't sit in a tree or in the trunk of a Chevy or behind a bush on a grassy knoll and pick people off with a car. Even if you wanted to.

The simple fact remains, cars are made for movement; guns are made for aggression. They're two completely different things.

So many in fact that we insisted on safer cars, better roads, insurance, licensed drivers, tougher driving laws. All of these have combined to reduce our auto fatality rate in half

Suicide by gun is different than suicide by other means. A suicide attempt by gun is instantneous and permanent. Lets look at the second most popular method of suicide....pills
Take an overdose and you have time to change your mind and call for help. You can be found unconscious and revived

Japan has absolute gun control....and they kill themselves at twice our rate...ditto a SouthKorea.....jumping in front of a train or off of a building...just as one way as a gun moron....

WOW....how astute

You figured out that Japan and Korea have cultures of suicide for honor

But somehow you managed to tie it to gun control in a desperate attempt to support your point

what you don't get...moron...is that gun murder, as intentional as it is.....is only 8-9000 each year.......that is intentional breaking of the law with a gun...out of over 320 million guns in private hands...

Now moron....car accidents are over 30,000 a year........a tool that causes over 30,000 unintentional deaths a year...........with all of the safety features, with all of the mandatory driving instruction.....

so the car is far more dangerous than guns and we allow 16 year old children to drive them and they can't own a hand gun till they are 21....

Even the NRA realizes how ridiculous tying gun deaths to car deaths is.

They also realize that by tying themselves to auto fatalities they also open up the prospect of insurance, licensing and gun registration

You sure you want to be treated like cars?

WOW....how astute

But somehow you managed to tie it to gun control in a desperate attempt to support your point

No moron.....you anti gunners always claim if we had gun control we would have a lower suicide rate....that is your claim, not mine.....and Japan and South Korea show you idiots have no clue what you are talking about....suicide is not dependent on method.....it depends on the people doing it and how much they really want to die........moron....

No moron.....you anti gunners always claim if we had gun control we would have a lower suicide rate....that is your claim, not mine.....and Japan and South Korea show you idiots have no clue what you are talking about....suicide is not dependent on method.....it depends on the people doing it and how much they really want to die........moron....

Uh ... I think you are getting a little worked up over nothing.

I mean why are you arguing with someone who thinks Sarah Brady should be considered an American Hero because she worked so hard to get legislation passed that ultimately failed in achieving its goal and is no longer relevant since it expired without recourse?

If they want to hold someone up as a National Hero for working on failing legislation that accomplished nothing worthwhile ... Then why stop at Sarah Brady?

WOW....how astute

Actually they don't show that at all

Their number is high because attempts are high. Add guns to the equation and their rates will be even higher

Suicide by gun is instantaneous and almost always lethal. You have a split second to change your mind before the bullet blows your brains out

Overdose, slitting your wrists, knives and even hanging provide time for you to be rescued or change your mind

There is also something romantic as you grasp the gun in your hand and it speaks to you..........Do it, do it, do it......BOOM

Uh ... I think you are getting a little worked up over nothing.

I mean why are you arguing with someone who thinks Sarah Brady should be considered an American Hero because she worked so hard to get legislation passed that ultimately failed in achieving its goal and is no longer relevant since it expired without recourse?

If they want to hold someone up as a National Hero for working on failing legislation that accomplished nothing worthwhile ... Then why stop at Sarah Brady?

As someone who has watched the left/right, gun/ anti gun debate....you have to address them everywhere.....people who have no dog in the fight get the anti gun message everywhere they turn....movies, the news, television shows, the newspapers....and here on these message boards.......they get subliminal saturation that guns are bad.....and if we want to keep our gun rights, we need to fight them in every venue......and as they do to our people, we need to make sure people know Sarah Brady was a fool.....maybe a nice person...but in the gun debate she was a fool.........that none of her laws did anything to stop the things she campaigned against...so that the more current Sarah Brady clones.....bloomberg, everytown , the violence policy center....and all the other groups and anti gun individuals can be seen for the fools that they are as well.....

WOW....how astute

Actually they don't show that at all

Their number is high because attempts are high. Add guns to the equation and their rates will be even higher

Suicide by gun is instantaneous and almost always lethal. You have a split second to change your mind before the bullet blows your brains out

Overdose, slitting your wrists, knives and even hanging provide time for you to be rescued or change your mind

There is also something romantic as you grasp the gun in your hand and it speaks to you..........Do it, do it, do it......BOOM

Suicide by gun is instantaneous and almost always lethal.

So is jumping off of a building or in front of a bullet train....moron.....

There is also something romantic as you grasp the gun in your hand and it speaks to you

I know you are basically a moron....but you should probably get some help fairly quickly....it seems as though you have an issue that needs to be dealt with.......put the gun down.......

S

As someone who has watched the left/right, gun/ anti gun debate....you have to address them everywhere.....people who have no dog in the fight get the anti gun message everywhere they turn....movies, the news, television shows, the newspapers....and here on these message boards.......they get subliminal saturation that guns are bad.....and if we want to keep our gun rights, we need to fight them in every venue......and as they do to our people, we need to make sure people know Sarah Brady was a fool.....maybe a nice person...but in the gun debate she was a fool.........that none of her laws did anything to stop the things she campaigned against...so that the more current Sarah Brady clones.....bloomberg, everytown , the violence policy center....and all the other groups and anti gun individuals can be seen for the fools that they are as well.....

I understand that ... But we need to refine the argument to address the facts pertinent to the matter.

A ... The legislation expired without recourse because it was knee-jerk bullshit to start with.
B ... The legislation was an utter failure because it resulted in doubling the sales of proposed banned weapons and accessories.

I hardly ever heard of assault weapons for sale outside of gun shows prior to the Brady Bill ... Now you can buy them over the counter at Wal-Mart.
Perhaps we need to simply remind the gun grabbers that the more they do to limit the availability of firearms ... The more they achieve in actually putting more weapons on the street.

Even the NRA realizes how ridiculous tying gun deaths to car deaths is.

They also realize that by tying themselves to auto fatalities they also open up the prospect of insurance, licensing and gun registration

You sure you want to be treated like cars?

Don't have to cars aren't protected by Constitution....

Forum List

Back