Same-Sex Marriage

Marriage is NOT a religious right it is a legal one.

The radical religious wackos don't own marriage.

Actually Marriage is a religious rite.

And the others? Can I then be allowed to marry a sister, brother, mother or father for legal preference?

If I am a Mormon and want more than one wife, can i too get my legal rights to do such?

shouldn't we allow anyone to marry anyone, and as many of anyones as they please, in order to not discriminate, if all are adults?

just wondering?

Polygamy would benefit from the incorporation idea I broached.

No it wasn't, you idiot. It was his gay parent who committed suicide. And there ARE definitive stats which show the children of non-traditional families don't do as well in school, have more mental health issues, drug issues, so on and so forth. It's been published ad nauseum.

Try reading a little.

Sure ... and you have something from a non-christian, non-biased source?

Fact that is often ignored, the gay men and women prone to suicide are those who were so forced into the closet that they were tricked into getting married to someone who they were not attracted to, then start a family. This form of stress always causes severe psychological trauma (also known as PTSD).

You just hate gay families, Allie. It's your choice. I'm sorry for you.

I don't hate gay families, or single parent families. But the research bears out what I'm saying. Those families do not do as well, which means we need to protect traditional families.
And of course I have something from a non-christian, non-biased source. Though of course it's hard to find, because non-Christians like to lie and pretend it isn't true.

"Four out of 10 U.S. children today grow up without their father at home.
Thirty percent of families in the U.S. are headed by a single parent—more than any other country in the world.
Almost 40 percent of American children living in single-parent families will experience poverty before they reach age 11.
Nearly two-thirds of the 10 million mothers in single-parent homes receive no child support.
Seventy percent of juveniles in state reform institutions come from single-parent homes.
Children in single-parent families are twice as likely to become involved in substance abuse or other health risk behaviors.
Girls in single-parent families are 150 percent more likely to become pregnant and have out-of-wedlock babies than girls from two-parent families.
Children in single-parent homes are more likely to be chronically truant and to drop out of school.
According to Dr. Larry Axmaker of Vanderbilt University's Faculty and Staff Wellness Program, growing up in a single-parent family puts children at risk. He asserts that single parents face many stressful situations, difficult decisions, and financial hardships. These challenges may lead to health problems and concerns for both parent and child. Possible contributing factors may include

Financial hardships in single-parent families causing stress for children
Parental absence—single parents often work long hours and have less time to spend with their children
Single parents not having the same level of parenting skills common in a two-parent family
The lack of a father figure for boys or a mother figure for girls impacting health and behavior
Single parents being more likely to be unemployed, undereducated, and on welfare
Dr. Axmaker concludes that more attention is needed in prevention and support programs.

Supporting single-parent families is consistent with Scouting's mission and its aims and methods. The focus of this brochure is to provide local councils with some "best practices" techniques by spotlighting the successful programs of three councils and identifying the things they have in common.

Among the many social needs that single mothers have is the need for male role models that their sons can emulate and learn from. The Chickasaw Council met this need in a very special way by collaborating with a local foundation and university, creating a win-win environment for all."
Single Parent Families

Lone mothers
Are poorer

Lone mothers are twice as likely as two-parent families to live in poverty at any one time (69% of lone mothers are in the bottom 40% of household income versus 34% of couples with children).23
Lone parents have twice as much risk of experiencing persistent low income (spending three out of four years in the bottom 30% of household income) as couples with children – 50% versus 22%.24
Lone parents are more than twice as likely as couples with children to have no savings (68% versus 28%).25
Lone parents are eight times as likely to live in a workless household as couples with children (45% versus 5.4%).26
Lone parent households are over twelve times as likely to be receiving income support as couples with dependent children (51% versus 4%). They are 2.5 times as likely to be receiving working families tax credit (24% versus 9%).27
Are more likely to suffer from stress, depression, and other emotional and psychological problems

At the age of 33, divorced and never-married mothers were 2.5 times more likely than married mothers to experience high levels of psychological distress. Even after accounting for financial hardship, prior psychological distress, and other demographic factors, lone mothers were still 1.4 times more likely to have psychological distress.28
Lone mothers are seven times as likely to report problems with their ‘nerves’, even after controlling for other demographic factors.29
Have more health problems

Results from the British General Household Survey show that, even after controlling for demographic and socioeconomic circumstances, lone mothers still have significantly poorer health than partnered mothers for four out of five health variables.30
Divorced women have death rates which are 21% higher on average than those of married women. Death rates for divorced women aged 25 and older range from 35%-58% higher than those of married women of the same age.31
May have more problems interacting with their children

Young people in lone-parent families were 30% more likely than those in two-parent families to report that their parents rarely or never knew where they were.32
After controlling for other demographic factors, lone parents were
2.25 times more likely to report their child’s behaviour was upsetting to them.
30% more likely to report significant arguments with their children.
60% more likely to expect too much or have too high expectations of their child.33
Experiments in Living: The Fatherless Family

Actually Marriage is a religious rite.

No, it's not. Marriage is civilly licensed. No one need marry in a religious ceremony. Marriage is a bond between two people that involves responsibility and legalities, as well as commitment and challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay ... so you prove single parent families have troubles financially ... and this proves what?

There was a lot more to those statistics than just financial. Are you ignoring the rest of them because you don't believe them, because you don't like Allie and was to have an argument with her, or because you want to focus solely on the financial aspect?

Financial troubles could lead to several possible problems:

- Need to work 2 or more jobs so less time to spend with kids
- Inability to save for children to go to college
- Lack of resources to introduce children to certain cultural experiences (sports, theater, music, art, etc)
- Health impact due to lack of medical insurance, poor diet

Doesn't mean these things are sure to happen, just more likely.

The implication overall is that children with only one parent are less likely to enjoy some of the advantages that are experienced by two parent children.

Healthy children come from families of all different kinds of compositions, including families with two mommies or two daddies.

If that was to me, that wasn't the point I was making.

And, by the way, so do disadvantaged children.

The point I'm making is that there is no guarantee that healthy children only come from families composed of a married, heterosexual couple.

There was a lot more to those statistics than just financial. Are you ignoring the rest of them because you don't believe them, because you don't like Allie and was to have an argument with her, or because you want to focus solely on the financial aspect?

Financial troubles could lead to several possible problems:

- Need to work 2 or more jobs so less time to spend with kids
- Inability to save for children to go to college
- Lack of resources to introduce children to certain cultural experiences (sports, theater, music, art, etc)
- Health impact due to lack of medical insurance, poor diet

Doesn't mean these things are sure to happen, just more likely.

The implication overall is that children with only one parent are less likely to enjoy some of the advantages that are experienced by two parent children.

Again, symptoms instead of the cause, they are all still financial problems.

No, it's not. Yes, it is.. Marriage is civilly licensed. True No one need marry in a religious ceremony. Also true Marriage is a bond between two people that involves responsibility and legalities, as well as commitment and challenge. Also true

Marriage is a religious rite and for most of our history was all it took. Only in recent history has the concept of a license been applied. IN fact in the United States there are states that still recognize common-law marriage. As you are no doubt aware, one doesn't get a license for common-law.

One of the original purposes of a license was to permit interracial marriage. By permitting the marriage to go forward Blacks Law Dictionary definition is upheld.

Black's Law Dictionary defines "license" as, "The permission by competent authority to do an act which without such permission [...] would be illegal."

Essentially, interracial marriage was illegal unless you had a license.

Remember, I am the one advocating getting the .gov out of marriage altogether. Then you would be free to be married by your religious authority of choice.

Or, you could attack the problem from another angle. Rather than fuss and fight for the dubious "right" to be wed, incorporate yourselves. Results is what matter. Properly structured (corporately speaking) you get all the legal advantages I can think of. It would take time and lawyers to figure out all the angles, but I have no doubt it can be done.

You assume that the only religious rite for marriage that matters is Christian. The purpose of having a license is related to property rights. Wives and children used to be considered property of the husband.

"Marriage is an institution in which interpersonal relationships (usually intimate and sexual) are acknowledged by the state, by religious authority, or both. It is often viewed as a contract. Civil marriage is the legal concept of marriage as a governmental institution, in accordance with marriage laws of the jurisdiction. If recognized by the state, by the religion(s) to which the parties belong or by society in general, the act of marriage changes the personal and social status of the individuals who enter into it.

"For most of European history, marriage was more or less a business agreement between two families who arranged the marriages of their children. Romantic love rarely , and even simple affection was not considered essential. In fact at some times, too much affection in a marriage was considered a sin.

In Ancient Greece, no specific civil ceremony was required for the creation of a marriage - only mutual agreement and the fact that the couple must regard each other as husband and wife accordingly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage

Last edited by a moderator:
Marriage is a religious rite and for most of our history was all it took. Only in recent history has the concept of a license been applied. IN fact in the United States there are states that still recognize common-law marriage. As you are no doubt aware, one doesn't get a license for common-law.

Actually, marriage is a right of the STATE... it deals with determination of property rights. The right to PERFORM a marriage is granted by the State to religious institutions.

One of the original purposes of a license was to permit interracial marriage. By permitting the marriage to go forward Blacks Law Dictionary definition is upheld.

The purpose of the license was a) to raise revenue for the State to pay for the preservation of the records; and b) to make sure that the people who were getting married could legally GET married (e.g., because of age and/or filiation). There weren't inter-racial marriages in some states even into the 1970's (see Loving v Virginia).

Essentially, interracial marriage was illegal unless you had a license.

Remember, I am the one advocating getting the .gov out of marriage altogether. Then you would be free to be married by your religious authority of choice.

Or, you could attack the problem from another angle. Rather than fuss and fight for the dubious "right" to be wed, incorporate yourselves. Results is what matter. Properly structured (corporately speaking) you get all the legal advantages I can think of. It would take time and lawyers to figure out all the angles, but I have no doubt it can be done.

Only marriage gives the right to pension and social security benefits.... no contract or other agreement or other legal action would grant that.

Mostly, there's no reason why a couple who has been together for 20 years should have fewer rights than a couple who got married 30 seconds ago.

Sigh.... Wouldn't it be easier to allow churches / synagogues / temples / mosques / whatever to decide who they want to marry, but also to change the law so that if gays want to get married and a church won't do it then a civil union gives them all the rights that a couple married in a religious ceremony would have?

Sorry, that was a really long sentence.

Seems to me that this would allow the folks to insist of religious "marriage" being males /female to preserve it that way, but would also allow gay couples to overcome the legal hurdle.

Forum List

Back