Russia complains it faces a "proxy war" in Ukraine that could lead to WWIII

It may well be. His successor can be worse than he is. But that has nothing to do with popular's opinion. A new leader will be determined in the result of the struggle inside elites.
Sorry, I don't get what you're trying to say. Other than the 'may well be' part.

Are you suggesting that the oligarchs will take precedence over the Russian people's resolve?

If so, you would need to consider the futures of the oligarchs.

Sorry, I don't get what you're trying to say. Other than the 'may well be' part.

Are you suggesting that the oligarchs will take precedence over the Russian people's resolve?

If so, you would need to consider the futures of the oligarchs.
I am trying to say that in an autocracy people's resolve doesn't mean much. The power is divided, shared and succeeded in the result of an internal struggle of the elites, after the autocrat is gone.

Who knows. Many people believed that Putin's cronies didn't allow Putin to escalate relations with the West to this level. Because of all their money and property. But the things went different way.
His cronies and the Russian general staff aren’t suicidal. Nuclear war is suicide. Ergo they will kill him before he can start one. Until then they will take the path of least resistance and let him fight his war and kill off a few thousand peasants and workers as they used to say. It’s no skin off their noses as long as it’s not their kids being killed in Ukraine.

His cronies and the Russian general staff aren’t suicidal. Nuclear war is suicide. Ergo they will kill him before he can start one. Until then they will take the path of least resistance and let him fight his war and kill off a few thousand peasants and workers as they used to say. It’s no skin off their noses as long as it’s not their kids being killed in Ukraine.
The problem in that mode of thought, is the assumption that both parties "believe" a nuclear exchange isn't survivable...

Nope, but I can extrapolate from your conduct here on usmessageboard.
You're right. My behaviour on that military forum was damaging to the military cause and so they couldn't bear to have it voiced there.
You obviously don't understand what I said about MAD.

Behave like an adult or you will be ignored.

You're right. My behaviour on that military forum was damaging to the military cause and so they couldn't bear to have it voiced there.
You obviously don't understand what I said about MAD.

Behave like an adult or you will be ignored.
Your behavior is damaging to yourself. You are delusional about every subject you post on and you deliberately lie and refuse to accept the truth when it’s provided to you. We’d all be better off if you’d put the entire forum on ignore.

Your behavior is damaging to yourself. You are delusional about every subject you post on and you deliberately lie and refuse to accept the truth when it’s provided to you. We’d all be better off if you’d put the entire forum on ignore.
Yeah...........tired of him threatening to never talk to us again.........I think he's chicken shit..........

War is always a possibility.....in this kind of proxy wars.....WW3

Always.

War is always a possibility.....in this kind of proxy wars.....WW3

Always.
It is nonsense to call this a proxy war. That would assume that Ukraine was only fighting the Russian invasion because the US wanted them to.

It is nonsense to call this a proxy war. That would assume that Ukraine was only fighting the Russian invasion because the US wanted them to.
If this is a proxy war, it’s a really weird one. It’s Russia against the entire western world. It’s really more what Stalin envisioned, Russia attacking and conquering the capitalist countries. It’s working out about as good as it would have for Stalin. The results of a command economy can’t compete with a free economy.

Russia's special military operation is going exactly as Putin planned. ... :thup:

"Right guys, we're going to invade our neighbor, but we're going to balls it up right from the beginning. Show the world we're useless and our military is rubbish.... let's go.... "

Yes, and in fact I have taken part on a military forum that was frequented by military people and some retired from the higher ranks. I was banned from that forum because I brought up the MAD factor.
The point i very quickly learned (too late) was to not even contemplate the possibility of MAD! The military mind doesn't and the reason why is because it destroys morale!

I took that as their gift to me of huge enlightenment! I came to understand very well that MAD is on very shaky grounds!

I'll never forget the lesson I learned.

Believe it or not, the common wisdom on that forum was that America could annihilate Russia and come out of it unscathed. If that wasn't believed and accepted by the ranks on that board, then they didn't have the courage to say so.

Does the Russian military feel the same way? Absolutely they do!
Hun, the military forum kicked you out because your posts weren't up to their level.

If this is a proxy war, it’s a really weird one. It’s Russia against the entire western world. It’s really more what Stalin envisioned, Russia attacking and conquering the capitalist countries. It’s working out about as good as it would have for Stalin. The results of a command economy can’t compete with a free economy.
It's not just russia though---china is lurching in the background with them.

It's not just russia though---china is lurching in the background with them.
As usual, the Chinese are thinking long term. They push a little and push a little again in a few years planning to achieve world superiority in a century or two. Putin wants to recreate the Russian Empire within his remaining lifetime which is measured in years at best. So he's pushing a lot.

Forum List

Back