Rough Draft on How Asteroid Mining Can Be Made Economically Feasible

Any projections on the 'worth' of asteroid materials is based on our current supply of such minerals here on Earth.

They don't take into account the devaluation of those minerals when a new source floods the market.

I'll recount a similar event from history.

In the early 17th Century, when Spanish and Portuguese sailing voyages opened up previously untapped resources in Asia and the New World, Spain and Portugal were flooded with gold from those sources. The significant increase in gold caused gold to be devalued all across Europe and led to a Century long recession.
And besides an asteroid needs to be in a constant Earth orbit and have something worth mining to mine. No such asteroid exist, and if you could find a pound of gold it would cost a billion dollars to retrieve, and 50 billion to attain. Wait asteroid takeoffs are impossible aren't they.

The sad thing here is that I have read and seen the news on this and it is and was all fake. Just that simple

Maybe this has been discussed already ... my apologies for not reading the whole thread ...

The OP doesn't address how to get these asteroids up to Earth's speed ... Kepler's Third Law ... the further from the Sun, the slower the orbit ... Ceres' speed is just over half Earth's ... it's not just the fuel to speed up the asteroid, but also the fuel to get the fuel out to the asteroid ... $10 trillions worth? ...

It wouldn't be necessary to move asteroid from their present location. You don't bring a coal mine to New York, you mine the coal in Pennsylvania and move the coal to the power stations.

Back in the '70s, Gerard K. O'Niell suggested that mass drivers (linear rail guns powered by solar) could accelerate payloads of mined materials (but definitely not humans) to several thousand G's for the trip back to Earth, where they would be collected in large-scale catchers in lunar orbit.

Once a mine is established then mined ores could be sent back to Earth will little life cost and consumable supplies (those that can withstand extreme G's) could be returned to the mining sites.

I don't envision humans being involved in on-site mining. This is a job for robots.

Maybe this has been discussed already ... my apologies for not reading the whole thread ...

The OP doesn't address how to get these asteroids up to Earth's speed ... Kepler's Third Law ... the further from the Sun, the slower the orbit ... Ceres' speed is just over half Earth's ... it's not just the fuel to speed up the asteroid, but also the fuel to get the fuel out to the asteroid ... $10 trillions worth? ...
Are the asteroids even in Earth orbit? or do they pass the Earth every 70 years.

The OP is a clown with no clue, I advised him to invest heavily......................in drugs

It wouldn't be necessary to move asteroid from their present location. You don't bring a coal mine to New York, you mine the coal in Pennsylvania and move the coal to the power stations.

Back in the '70s, Gerard K. O'Niell suggested that mass drivers (linear rail guns powered by solar) could accelerate payloads of mined materials (but definitely not humans) to several thousand G's for the trip back to Earth, where they would be collected in large-scale catchers in lunar orbit.

Once a mine is established then mined ores could be sent back to Earth will little life cost and consumable supplies (those that can withstand extreme G's) could be returned to the mining sites.

I don't envision humans being involved in on-site mining. This is a job for robots.
LOL it would take $100,000.00 per ounce to mine an asteroid

Probably. Also, if significant amounts of any commodity are found, the price of that commodity would plummet.

If the mining involved human labor, the costs would escalate by a factor of 1,000.

I don't see any future in space mining ... not as long as we use rocket technology from the 1950's.

Probably. Also, if significant amounts of any commodity are found, the price of that commodity would plummet.

If the mining involved human labor, the costs would escalate by a factor of 1,000.

I don't see any future in space mining ... not as long as we use rocket technology from the 1950's.
No way that any significant quantity of anything could be brought back. Where are these asteroids bye the way

No way that any significant quantity of anything could be brought back. Where are these asteroids bye the way

Get materials back from The Asteroid Belt would be the easiest part of the problem. Getting millions of of tons of equipment and facilities off The Earth and set up in The Belt would be the most difficult, and expensive.

Are the asteroids even in Earth orbit? or do they pass the Earth every 70 years.

The OP is a clown with no clue, I advised him to invest heavily......................in drugs

That you should ask if asteriods are in Earth's orbit means you have no idea whether the OP has a clue or not ... just saying ...

[/QUOTE]

Get materials back from The Asteroid Belt would be the easiest part of the problem. Getting millions of of tons of equipment and facilities off The Earth and set up in The Belt would be the most difficult, and expensive.
[/QUOTE]
First step. The equatorial elevator.
Space-Elevator.jpg

p14a.gif

That you should ask if asteriods are in Earth's orbit means you have no idea whether the OP has a clue or not ... just saying ...
So you think because an asteroid is accessible that it is made of Gold and Platinum like the psycho who started this knuckleheaded rant. The fact is that whether asteroid mining is possible is irrelevant because there is no substance that can be mined that is worth the $100,000.00 per ounce to mine and return to Earth

Just saying genius

[/QUOTE]
First step. The equatorial elevator. View attachment 415778
View attachment 415779
[/QUOTE]

I don't see any plans to build a space elevator in the next century, do you?

First step. The equatorial elevator. View attachment 415778
View attachment 415779
[/QUOTE]

I don't see any plans to build a space elevator in the next century, do you?
[/QUOTE]
So far just an engineering pipe dream, just like this thread, but NASA during the Shuttle missions experimented with the concept on a small scale with a tether in space.
A project like that is a couple hundred years out at least. Would require a massive investment, but would reduce payload costs per pound significantly.

Forum List

Back