Rough Draft on How Asteroid Mining Can Be Made Economically Feasible

What do you expect to mine from iron Nickle and rock asteroids that would be worth the 1000 dollars a pound to bring it back
Gold, platinum, thorium and uranium, maybe some helium and zero gravity manufacture.

But the problem isnt how high the initial costs are, it is the impact unregulated mining might have on Earth commodity prices.

99% of the mined resources will remain in space for constructing more robots, O'Neil Cylkindeers, stations, and space vehicles.

What do you expect to mine from iron Nickle and rock asteroids that would be worth the 1000 dollars a pound to bring it back
Gold, platinum, thorium and uranium, maybe some helium and zero gravity manufacture.

But the problem isnt how high the initial costs are, it is the impact unregulated mining might have on Earth commodity prices.

99% of the mined resources will remain in space for constructing more robots, O'Neil Cylkindeers, stations, and space vehicles.
LOL even if the asteroid were solid platinum it would still be a losing venture. But you invest as you see fit

LOL even if the asteroid were solid platinum it would still be a losing venture. But you invest as you see fit
Dude, when Nevada was opened up, the cost of developing the infrastructure of that state was far higher than any minerals they got out of it for a long time.

And yet it now pays for itself many times over.

Dude, when Nevada was opened up, the cost of developing the infrastructure of that state was far higher than any minerals they got out of it for a long time.

And yet it now pays for itself many times over.
Dude it costs at least $10,000.00 per pound to put something into space. So if you were putting mining equipment into space it would cost tens of billions of dollars to retrieve millions of dollars which makes it a money loser. So the technical feasibility is ittelevant

Play on

PS. Which asteroid is made of gold and platinum, I mean other than the one in your imagination

First, lets note that a single class S asteroid approximately 100 meters diameter has about $10 trillion in minerals in it, and here is a map showing how many asteroids there are inside Jupiter's orbit.

View attachment 413648

These are only the asteroids large enough to be seen from Earth, there a thousands times that that are smaller and more easily manipulated.

The rough concept is that we finally achieve low cost Earth to space transport of some means, either a cheap easily re-usable shuttle like the Dragon or a space elevator.

Initially, we would be learning how to do this industry by mining Near Earth Asteroids, of which there are counted more than 10,000 of 1oo meters diameter or more already.

We would have to set up permanent space stations at the Lagrange points 1 and 2 where as much manufacture as possible is done to reduce weight of Earth2Space lift.
These activites would be robot repair, resource refining, forging and smelting and fuel processing from Class C asteroids. Warehousing would be an increasingly important capability as well as communication relay.
At this point the emphasis really is on learning how to do things in space and working out the kinks for such processes.

Then we would build stations at L3, L4 and L5 and set up a counter orbit cargo shuttle route that would greatly speed up transport time as it would use the Earth orbital speed to quicken transport of goods. A great amount of fuel would be used in accelerating and decelerating from orbital speeds to reverse orbital speed, so the Class C asteroid refinement has to be fully capable by this point. The cargo shuttles would stay in continual motion, and would steer the cargo in reverse orbit till it comes to a cargo shuttle from the stations at Earth orbit L1 or L2. Then the E1/E2 cargo shuttle craft would have to speed up to catch the released cargo container, then decelerate it and bring it into the E1 or E2 stations.
For simplicity, I am going to refer to the Lagrange points by their planet orbit initial and then the Lagrange number, so instead of saying Earth orbit Lagrange pnt1, it will be simply E1.

The next expansion would be the Martian orbit stations at M1, M2, M3, M4, and M5, as well as a Martian counter-orbit cargo shuttle route also. It would be adapted from the methods and processes for the mining around NEA's.

The red lines show obsolete return routes from orbits further out to those closer to Earth, and the blue show the new proposed return routes using slow shallow curved vectors to redirect the vessel speed.

View attachment 413659

Of course, this is just the crudest spitballing, but I think it demonstrates that the enormous wealth and industrial potential for space colonization within the inner planets to the Asteroid Belt.
It has the potential to disrupt supply and demand and actually drive prices down. The 10 trillion could only be realized within the current pace of usage. Otherwise the market would become flooded and prices would plunge greatly reducing the 10T estimate. Not saying that's a bad thing. So flood market or act like diamond producers. Either way cashflow estimates would need to take that into account to properly appraise the economics.

First, lets note that a single class S asteroid approximately 100 meters diameter has about $10 trillion in minerals in it, and here is a map showing how many asteroids there are inside Jupiter's orbit.

View attachment 413648

These are only the asteroids large enough to be seen from Earth, there a thousands times that that are smaller and more easily manipulated.

The rough concept is that we finally achieve low cost Earth to space transport of some means, either a cheap easily re-usable shuttle like the Dragon or a space elevator.

Initially, we would be learning how to do this industry by mining Near Earth Asteroids, of which there are counted more than 10,000 of 1oo meters diameter or more already.

We would have to set up permanent space stations at the Lagrange points 1 and 2 where as much manufacture as possible is done to reduce weight of Earth2Space lift.
These activites would be robot repair, resource refining, forging and smelting and fuel processing from Class C asteroids. Warehousing would be an increasingly important capability as well as communication relay.
At this point the emphasis really is on learning how to do things in space and working out the kinks for such processes.

Then we would build stations at L3, L4 and L5 and set up a counter orbit cargo shuttle route that would greatly speed up transport time as it would use the Earth orbital speed to quicken transport of goods. A great amount of fuel would be used in accelerating and decelerating from orbital speeds to reverse orbital speed, so the Class C asteroid refinement has to be fully capable by this point. The cargo shuttles would stay in continual motion, and would steer the cargo in reverse orbit till it comes to a cargo shuttle from the stations at Earth orbit L1 or L2. Then the E1/E2 cargo shuttle craft would have to speed up to catch the released cargo container, then decelerate it and bring it into the E1 or E2 stations.
For simplicity, I am going to refer to the Lagrange points by their planet orbit initial and then the Lagrange number, so instead of saying Earth orbit Lagrange pnt1, it will be simply E1.

The next expansion would be the Martian orbit stations at M1, M2, M3, M4, and M5, as well as a Martian counter-orbit cargo shuttle route also. It would be adapted from the methods and processes for the mining around NEA's.

The red lines show obsolete return routes from orbits further out to those closer to Earth, and the blue show the new proposed return routes using slow shallow curved vectors to redirect the vessel speed.

View attachment 413659

Of course, this is just the crudest spitballing, but I think it demonstrates that the enormous wealth and industrial potential for space colonization within the inner planets to the Asteroid Belt.
Asteroid mining is impossible at present. The practicality of all mining rest on cost. So if you want nickels that cost a thousand or hundred thousand bucks to bring back to Earth

Ass ter oid mine on
That all gets washed out in the appraisal stage. You can't know what something is or isn't without doing due diligence.

It seems from all of your posts that you want to skip the due diligence stage and go straight to the we don't need to evaluate anything stage.

It has the potential to disrupt supply and demand and actually drive prices down. The 10 trillion could only be realized within the current pace of usage. Otherwise the market would become flooded and prices would plunge greatly reducing the 10T estimate. Not saying that's a bad thing. So flood market or act like diamond producers. Either way cashflow estimates would need to take that into account to properly appraise the economics.
I totally agree.

The global trading nations would have to come to an agreement on how much is brought down and how much stays in space to be used there.

I suspect that 90% of all of it will be used in space as we complete the stations at E1 and E2. But as time goes on and facilities ramp up, we would start using most of it in space building more facilities, androids, barges, O'Neil cylinders for inhabitants, etc, and it wont be brought down necessarily unless people on Earth want to pay a competitive price to do it.

But yes, I think commodities will drop to about a third of what they are now before space colony demand starts to absorb the excess.

For those who dwell on Earth it would be comparable in impact to what the colonization of the Americas had on Western Europe.

Asteroid mining is impossible at present. The practicality of all mining rest on cost. So if you want nickels that cost a thousand or hundred thousand bucks to bring back to Earth
Ass ter oid mine on
That all gets washed out in the appraisal stage. You can't know what something is or isn't without doing due diligence.
It seems from all of your posts that you want to skip the due diligence stage and go straight to the we don't need to evaluate anything stage.
Esalla seems to not like these concepts for other reasons, I dont know why. Maybe he is a gold bug?

View attachment 413648

View attachment 413659

Ass ter oid mine on

Asteroids are worthless rocks or hunks of iron and nickel. As such even if asteroid mining is feasible there is no reason to do it because there would be no gains made

Ass ter oid mine on
Esalla seems to not like these concepts for other reasons, I dont know why. Maybe he is a gold bug?
OK kid, you go mine a fucking asteroid. Let me know what you find

If you can stop whacking off for ten minutes that is

Asteroids are worthless rocks or hunks of iron and nickel. As such even if asteroid mining is feasible there is no reason to do it because there would be no gains made

NASA brings forward mission to explore a $10,000 quadrillion metal asteroid that could cause the world's economy to COLLAPSE
  • 16 Psyche is a huge chunk of metal, made up of iron, nickel and precious metals
    • On Earth, the iron would be worth £8,072 quadrillion ($10,000 quadrillion)
    • Nasa has brought the mission launch forward to 2022 and it will arrive in 2026
    • If brought back to Earth, its value would play havoc with commodity prices
It may be 230 million miles (370 million km) away from Earth, but this asteroid could be worth a fortune.
16 Psyche is one of the most mysterious objects in our solar system, and scientists could soon be getting a close-up view thanks to a NASA mission.

Your claims that these asteroids are worthless is just bizarr

NASA brings forward mission to explore a $10,000 quadrillion metal asteroid that could cause the world's economy to COLLAPSE
  • 16 Psyche is a huge chunk of metal, made up of iron, nickel and precious metals
    • On Earth, the iron would be worth £8,072 quadrillion ($10,000 quadrillion)
    • Nasa has brought the mission launch forward to 2022 and it will arrive in 2026
    • If brought back to Earth, its value would play havoc with commodity prices
It may be 230 million miles (370 million km) away from Earth, but this asteroid could be worth a fortune.
16 Psyche is one of the most mysterious objects in our solar system, and scientists could soon be getting a close-up view thanks to a NASA mission.

Your claims that these asteroids are worthless is just bizarr
Go get it then silly, you will be rich

Let me know how you make out

Oh this is a real NASA image by the way, no gold

asteroidlanding.jpg

You really hate this idea so much you dont realize I never said that *I* was personally going to get anything, lol.

And there are different classifications for asteroids.

Do you know what classification that one is?

Do you even know its name?

You really hate this idea so much you dont realize I never said that *I* was personally going to get anything, lol.

The stars had burned through their red tape. The heavens were ready for Silicon Valley.

Then things started going south. Last summer, Planetary failed to raise the money it was counting on. Key staffers, including Peter Marquez, the firm’s policy guy in Washington, had already jumped ship. “We were all frustrated about the revenue prospects, and the business model wasn’t working out the way we’d hoped,” recalls Marquez, who now works for a Washington, DC, advisory shop called Andart Global.

“There was more of a focus on the religion of space than the business of space,” Marquez adds. “There’s the religious [segment] of space people who believe that almost like manifest destiny, we’re supposed to be exploring the solar system—and if we believe hard enough, it’ll happen. But the pragmatists were saying there’s no customer base for asteroid mining in the next 12 to 15 years.”

A conceptual illustation of asteroids

Chrissie Abbot
Amid rumors that it was auctioning off its gear, Planetary Resources was acquired last year by ConsenSys, a blockchain software company based in Brooklyn that develops decentralized platforms for signing documents, selling electricity, and managing real estate transactions, among other things. Anderson Tan, an early investor in Planetary Resources, was baffled by the acquisition—and he’s the kind of blockchain guy who promotes other blockchain guys’ blockchain ventures on LinkedIn. “I honestly have no idea … I was shocked. I think they wanted to acquire the equipment and assets,” he says. “For what? I’m not so sure.”

DSI, in turn, was acquired by an aeronautics company named Bradford Space. These acquisitions aren’t taking the companies anywhere. “They’re gone; they’re done. They don’t exist,” says Chad Anderson.

The lack-of-vision thing
What went wrong? Predictably, ex--employees and investors tell slightly different stories.

Dude if you mined gold on an asteroid you could never sell it for a profit on Earth because it would cost you $250,000.00 an ounce and you would be laughed at

Dude if you mined gold on an asteroid you could never sell it for a profit on Earth because it would cost you $250,000.00 an ounce and you would be laughed at
So you dont know the name or classification of the asteroid in you pic?

And no one is arguing that asteroid mining would be instantaneously profitable. Investments dont work that way, but of course you do know that.

You just hate the idea for some reason.

And no one is arguing that asteroid mining would be instantaneously profitable. Investments dont work that way, but of course you do know that.

Look I am encouraging you to invest all your paper route cash in asteroid mining.

I'll stick with Apple and Google.

Did I mention that my kid just bought Apple and Tesla

Let me know when your stock splits

What holds the asteroid still from swinging bye the Earth into deep space for another hundred years while the asteroid is mined? or do you really think that asteroids all circle the earth?

Well you never thought of that.

Invest that money now

Note these guys were selling bridges last year

Last edited:

Look I am encouraging you to invest all your paper route cash in asteroid mining.
Dude, apparently you have not bothered to actually read any of my responses.

You get the last word, I am done pounding sand into a bottomless hole.

Hour:Minute:Second Mark 2:17:00 They address this topic, how it relates to the global elites that control the planet and the middle and lower classes, and the current crises.

Who knows. . .

Any projections on the 'worth' of asteroid materials is based on our current supply of such minerals here on Earth.

They don't take into account the devaluation of those minerals when a new source floods the market.

I'll recount a similar event from history.

In the early 17th Century, when Spanish and Portuguese sailing voyages opened up previously untapped resources in Asia and the New World, Spain and Portugal were flooded with gold from those sources. The significant increase in gold caused gold to be devalued all across Europe and led to a Century long recession.

Dude, apparently you have not bothered to actually read any of my responses.

You get the last word, I am done pounding sand into a bottomless hole.
Go mine an asteroid, or at least invest in the company that will.

Sell your trailer, sell all your comic books and baseball cards. Mine away

Forum List

Back