Robert Reich: Elon Musk’s vision for the internet is dangerous nonsense

“Musk has long advocated a libertarian vision of an ‘uncontrolled’ internet. That’s also the dream of every dictator, strongman and demagogue.”
I'm convinced all the drugs Reich did during Woodstock have rotted his brain over the years.

If they were that smart, then they wouldn't be libs.
But this is particularly stupid even for a born fool like Robert Reich

Musk has long advocated a libertarian vision of an ‘uncontrolled’ internet. That’s also the dream of every dictator, strongman and demagogue.” Okey...

I think even the most clueless should see whats wrong with that quote

But they dont seem to notice

“Musk has long advocated a libertarian vision of an ‘uncontrolled’ internet. That’s also the dream of every dictator, strongman and demagogue.”

Okey Dokey…
Well someone has read Orwell’s 1984 and is using it as a manual, because we all know what tyrannical regimes like the USSR, ChiComs, North Koreans etc are all famous for - it’s the sweet, unfettered, free flow of information.
I assume you are tongue in cheek here right?
Robert Reich complaining about too much control??

Hahahhaaa

Okey Dokey…
Well someone has read Orwell’s 1984 and is using it as a manual, because we all know what tyrannical regimes like the USSR, ChiComs, North Koreans etc are all famous for - it’s the sweet, unfettered, free flow of information.
My first experiences on Internet was in the early 1980's on CompuServe and Prodigy and later America Online. There were two types of forums, moderated and unmoderated. By far the best forums were moderated forums where unfettered free speech was forbitten, no personal attack on members and members agreed to furnish references for claims. So when you jointed a discussion group of Apple Computers, that is what was discussed. However, as the number of users increased real monitoring became nearly impossible. I am not a fan total free speech on Internet.

Unfettered free speech itself can destabilize society. As we’ve learned to our detriment, power imbalances mean that bad speech can often drive out good speech. We have repeatedly seen this when journalists, artists and activists publicly leave social media because of racism, misogyny and discrimination from users, including rape and death threats. Free speech can and has provided a platform for groups to incite genocide and insurrection. Total free speech on Internet is equivalent to allowing people to cry fire in a crowded auditorium for the fun of watching people being trampled or what other dubious pleasure they get from it.

Okey Dokey…
Looks like Robert Reich is in favor of censorship of political opinion, not unlike another 'Reich' we know of.

My first experiences on Internet was in the early 1980's on CompuServe and Prodigy and later America Online.

None of those were the Internet, though AOL, at some point (well after both Prodigy and CompuServe ceased to exist) did eventually offer access through their service to the Internet.

Unfettered free speech itself can destabilize society. As we’ve learned to our detriment, power imbalances mean that bad speech can often drive out good speech. We have repeatedly seen this when journalists, artists and activists publicly leave social media because of racism, misogyny and discrimination from users, including rape and death threats. Free speech can and has provided a platform for groups to incite genocide and insurrection. Total free speech on Internet is equivalent to allowing people to cry fire in a crowded auditorium for the fun of watching people being trampled or what other dubious pleasure they get from it.

It is very noticeable, and very obvious, that those who most loudly oppose “unfettered free speech” are the most prolific purveyors of exactly the sort of misinformation and hatred that they claim to want to suppress. It's about equally obvious that their desire to suppress “unfettered free speech” is really a desire to suppress any dissent against their own positions; to censor and suppress any who would call their bullshit out for what it is.

Forum List

Back