Did you know Pluto has 5 moons ?

Much like the double planet Earth-Moon, Pluto's moon Charon is more like a double planetisimo. The rest are glorified rocks collected in the Kuiper Belt. But the odd thing is for a dwarf planet like Pluto to be so small and still have so many moons.
If NASA's budget had been even 1/10th of the Pentagon's over the last several decades, we would know so much more by now.

That, on top of whatever secrets they're hiding at Area 51....in the Tesla vault and so on.....

Last edited:
Do we really care about Pluto?
I care a LOT about Pluto. It is our window into a whole other part of the solar system we barely know anything about.

It's too far, too cold and not very interesting. With our limited NASA budget, isn't it better to visit Mars?
To the contrary, Pluto apparently has enough unexplained internal heat to allow periodic shifts and movement in the crustal surface, and IMO and many planetary scientists, is the most unexpectedly detailed, beautiful and delightful planet in the whole solar system!

Mars in comparison is just kind of a sucky red dust ball.

In comparison to the fact that there are hundreds of billions, perhaps trillions of other galaxies outside of our own Milky Way, mmmmeh,...you may have a point.
No one can deny the numbers, but the fact is nothing can live in outer space. A planet, moon, asteroid or whatever would need protection like that of what is on Earth such as magnetic field, atmosphere, oceans, etc. Maybe it would need oceans beneath the seafloor for survival in case of global warming. Look at what happened to Mars. It looks like Earth, but it didn't have the protection that we have and thus became barren and dried up. Now, we know we can't live on the moon nor Mars. Maybe Europa, but don't think it has a magnetic field and the its temperature may be too cold for living.

Put it this way. I rather risk living here than elsewhere. However, one could continue to try and find other planets for life and someplace where we could migrate to in case of emergency or necessity.

ETA: I don't believe in evolution, so don't think there is other life out there. If you find a habitable planet like Earth, then I suppose there could be life but there's no place like home.

If I could send my doubters to where they think they can live for a day, then that would be an awesome power to have. That said, I'll prolly have to have a mortuary side business to take care of those who weren't able to return.

Last edited:
Tardigrades and many other things survive dormant.

Europa?

Then why are we preparing to do it?
Forget tardigrades.

NASA doesn't know. They think there is danger with no magnetic field and Mars' atmosphere. We know animals can survive in a ship and return. Likely, NASA will test with some other live animals on a Mars mission and expose them to no magnetic field and its atmosphere.

"Europa, the icy "cue ball" moon of Jupiter, has a relatively smooth crust of ice over a watery interior ocean. Cracks in the crust are due to the tidal forces of Jupiter’s mighty gravity. Scientists believe that Europa has the right conditions for some form of life to exist there today."

Here's an article about NASA's journey to Mars -- NASA's Journey to Mars.

"NASA is developing the capabilities needed to send humans to an asteroid by 2025 and Mars in the 2030s – goals outlined in the bipartisan NASA Authorization Act of 2010 and in the U.S. National Space Policy, also issued in 2010.

Mars is a rich destination for scientific discovery and robotic and human exploration as we expand our presence into the solar system. Its formation and evolution are comparable to Earth, helping us learn more about our own planet’s history and future. Mars had conditions suitable for life in its past. Future exploration could uncover evidence of life, answering one of the fundamental mysteries of the cosmos: Does life exist beyond Earth?

While robotic explorers have studied Mars for more than 40 years, NASA’s path for the human exploration of Mars begins in low-Earth orbit aboard the International Space Station. Astronauts on the orbiting laboratory are helping us prove many of the technologies and communications systems needed for human missions to deep space, including Mars. The space station also advances our understanding of how the body changes in space and how to protect astronaut health.

Our next step is deep space, where NASA will send a robotic mission to capture and redirect an asteroid to orbit the moon. Astronauts aboard the Orion spacecraft will explore the asteroid in the 2020s, returning to Earth with samples. This experience in human spaceflight beyond low-Earth orbit will help NASA test new systems and capabilities, such as Solar Electric Propulsion, which we’ll need to send cargo as part of human missions to Mars. Beginning in FY 2018, NASA’s powerful Space Launch System rocket will enable these “proving ground” missions to test new capabilities. Human missions to Mars will rely on Orion and an evolved version of SLS that will be the most powerful launch vehicle ever flown.

A fleet of robotic spacecraft and rovers already are on and around Mars, dramatically increasing our knowledge about the Red Planet and paving the way for future human explorers. The Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity rover measured radiation on the way to Mars and is sending back radiation data from the surface. This data will help us plan how to protect the astronauts who will explore Mars. Future missions like the Mars 2020 rover, seeking signs of past life, also will demonstrate new technologies that could help astronauts survive on Mars."

Forget tardigrades.

NASA doesn't know. They think there is danger with no magnetic field and Mars' atmosphere. We know animals can survive in a ship and return. Likely, NASA will test with some other live animals on a Mars mission and expose them to no magnetic field and its atmosphere.

"Europa, the icy "cue ball" moon of Jupiter, has a relatively smooth crust of ice over a watery interior ocean. Cracks in the crust are due to the tidal forces of Jupiter’s mighty gravity. Scientists believe that Europa has the right conditions for some form of life to exist there today."

No need for the astronomy lesson, I nearly became a professional astronomer. As to populating the Moon or Mars, etc., that will be done first by building underground to escape the Sun's radiation, then eventually with pressure domes. We really need to develop a long term Moon base and work out the kinks there first before thinking serious about actual Martian colonies.

No need for the astronomy lesson, I nearly became a professional astronomer. As to populating the Moon or Mars, etc., that will be done first by building underground to escape the Sun's radiation, then eventually with pressure domes. We really need to develop a long term Moon base and work out the kinks there first before thinking serious about actual Martian colonies.
Would you go?

You couldn't pay me to live on the moon, Mars or elsewhere. I think something damaging would have to happen on Earth for mass amounts of people to go for moon or Mars colonies. I doubt Amazon will deliver.

I would send evolutionists out to the moon or Mars in a heartbeat.

Would you go?

You couldn't pay me to live on the moon, Mars or elsewhere. I think something damaging would have to happen on Earth for mass amounts of people to go for moon or Mars colonies. I doubt Amazon will deliver.

I would send evolutionists out to the moon or Mars in a heartbeat.

No, it will take generations of people, first doing short duty cycles on the Moon, then longer and longer to both gauge the full extent of the problems living in space as well as to gradually develop a group of people increasingly hardened against its difficulties.

And much more so for Mars, due to the need to be totally autonomous there. Over time, improved designs will harden against design flaws and oversights to make an increasingly better housing for people which is also cheaper to create and maintain.

Over time, they will grow better accustomed to the increased radiation and lower gravity to eventually become a better variant of homo more accustomed to space both physically and psychologically to the confined space, isolation, loneliness and bleak surroundings. Then if and when a need arises, it will not only be easier to move people between Earth and elsewhere, but should something really catastrophic happen on Earth, there is at least a viable branch of human civilization somewhere else to carry on.

I didn't know that....thanks for posting.

Looking for moons in our Solar System I saw that Jupiter has......

Wait for it! :omg:

79 known moons! wow wow wow!!!!!!

When I was in Elementary school (1973 to 1979) Jupiter only had 12 or 13 moons

Forum List

Back