Rising Sea Levels Reshape Miami’s Housing Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been going on in many places in the nation for decades.
Now one of the biggest victims of AGW showing evidence of what is to come.
For all you warming deniers: you Clowns who say "it's colder than normal in Chicago today, so it can't be warming".
Would you write a 30 year mortgage on a Miami waterfront house?

Properties on the coast now trade at Discounts as flood waters and ‘king tides’ damp enthusiasm for oceanfront living
By Laura Kusisto and Arian Campo-Flores
Wall Street Journal - April 20, 2018

MIAMI—Concerns over rising sea levels and floods are beginning to reshape one of the country’s largest housing markets, with properties closer to sea level now trading at discounts to those at higher elevations.​
Research published Friday in the journal of Environmental Research Letters shows that single-family homes in Miami-Dade County are rising in value more slowly near sea level than at higher elevations, as buyers weigh the possibilities of more-frequent minor flooding in the short term and the challenge of reselling...​
[....]​

balance by subscription, but you get the picture.
`
As has been pointed out numerous time, and you refuse to acknowledge, the sea is not rising as much as the land is sinking.

LOLuddite!

Why Are Sea Levels Around Miami Rising So Much Faster Than Other Places?

Sea levels in South Florida have gone up about a Foot since the 1930s, but around 2011, the slow upward creep of the ocean seemed to kick into high gear, with tidal gauges recording much faster rates of sea level rise and residents noting a stark uptick in so-called “nuisance” floods.​
A new study confirms that this was not Floridians’ imaginations: From 2011 to at least 2015, the rate of sea level rise across the Southeastern US shot up by a factor of Six, from 3-4 millimeters a year to 20, and a combination of oceanic and atmospheric processes seem to be responsible​
[.....]​
“The Miami area started getting almost an inch of sea level [rise] a year,” Hal Wanless, a coastal geologist at the University of Miami, told Gizmodo. “People noticed that.”​
[png] Image/Graph won't post but Link:
`​
My God, do all global warming alarmists suck so badly at math? 20 mm is only slightly more than 3/4 of an inch. I defy you to look at the ocean off Miami and say, "Wow! The oceans seems 3/4 of an inch higher this Christmas as opposed to last Christmas!"

As has been pointed out numerous time, and you refuse to acknowledge, the sea is not rising as much as the land is sinking.
That would of course depend on WHERE on the planet you are talking about.
But it hasn't been mentioned many times...
and of course I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO BRING UP 'SUBSIDENCE' (Your welcome for the term illiterate!) in posts #27/29 as Sunset Tommy was cherry picking locales that may have seismically risen.

Subsidence IS a problem in the Southeastern USA, and why S-L is rising Much Faster from maybe VA to around the Gulf Coast.

and I'll go you 10 better you Dishonorable Discharge dope...

When/as sea level rises it will rise more at the lower latitudes (nearest equator) due to gravitational forces.
This came up recently on the speculation of what would happen if Thwaites broke off.
`

Last edited:
That would of course depend on WHERE on the planet you are talking about.
But it hasn't been mentioned many times...
and of course I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO BRING UP 'SUBSIDENCE' (Your welcome for the term illiterate!) in posts #27/29 as Sunset Tommy was cherry picking locales that may have seismically risen.

Subsidence IS a problem in the Southeastern USA, and why S-L is rising Much Faster from maybe VA to around the Gulf Coast.

and I'll go you 10 better you Dishonorable Discharge dope...

When/as sea level rises it will rise more at the lower latitudes (nearest equator) due to gravitational forces.
This came up recently on the speculation of what would happen if Thwaites broke off.
`
Where was the thread title you ignorantly posted about, you fucking dumbass? Miami!

That GED is just not working out. Maybe you should try to get a refund!

If you don't to buy a house on the beach in Miami, don't! If you do, build a seawall. Maybe you could get a Dutch contractor to build it for you! I hear they are good with dykes!

Where was the thread title you ignorantly posted about, you fucking dumbass? Miami!

That GED is just not working out. Maybe you should try to get a refund!

If you don't to buy a house on the beach in Miami, don't! If you do, build a seawall. Maybe you could get a Dutch contractor to build it for you! I hear they are good with dykes!
IOW, I refuted your last post completely.
And in humiliation all you have is the above.
So many trolls here.
So many decayed 'intellects' that were never 3 digit IQ's even at their peaks.
bye/Dismissed!
`

I believe I got about 5 of the app 300 Feedbacks Westwall left in the last 23 hours.
App 20 an hour for every waking hour.
This guy needs help.
He's hyper-partisan nuts and can't express it in words, so he just pushes the button.
MEDIC!
`

People around the world have always had to move due to sea levels, they've been rising for some 18,000 years. And it's a little more complicated due to glacial-rebound rise

Any city that doesn't want to be like the Lost City of Atlantis, should start moving or put your properties on stilts. Most of Florida is many feet above sea level, so move in land.

It's been a phenomenon before modern day alarmists.

IOW, I refuted your last post completely.
And in humiliation all you have is the above.
So many trolls here.
So many decayed 'intellects' that were never 3 digit IQ's even at their peaks.
bye/Dismissed!
`
You refuted nothing. You had your ass handed to you!

First you claim sea-level is rising. Then you claim the land is sinking. Then you cite figures that the rate of change is slightly more than 3/4 of an inch per year, which is imperceptible and incredibly difficult to measure.

You are a hack at best and a moron at he worst. My vote is for "moron".

This has been going on in many places in the nation for decades.
Now one of the biggest victims of AGW showing evidence of what is to come.
For all you warming deniers: you Clowns who say "it's colder than normal in Chicago today, so it can't be warming".
Would you write a 30 year mortgage on a Miami waterfront house?

Properties on the coast now trade at Discounts as flood waters and ‘king tides’ damp enthusiasm for oceanfront living
By Laura Kusisto and Arian Campo-Flores
Wall Street Journal - April 20, 2018

MIAMI—Concerns over rising sea levels and floods are beginning to reshape one of the country’s largest housing markets, with properties closer to sea level now trading at discounts to those at higher elevations.​
Research published Friday in the journal of Environmental Research Letters shows that single-family homes in Miami-Dade County are rising in value more slowly near sea level than at higher elevations, as buyers weigh the possibilities of more-frequent minor flooding in the short term and the challenge of reselling...​
[....]​

balance by subscription, but you get the picture.
`
Your conclusion is all wrong----cheaper homes all across florida went up at higher rate than the more expensive homes as investors (especially corporations) bought up homes to RENT and the government shelled out money to the low income group enabling them to pay more. Simple supply and demand.

My God, do all global warming alarmists suck so badly at math? 20 mm is only slightly more than 3/4 of an inch. I defy you to look at the ocean off Miami and say, "Wow! The oceans seems 3/4 of an inch higher this Christmas as opposed to last Christmas!"
3/4 on an inch a year is not imperceptable you IDIOT!
It's Huge. That's 15" in 20 years and EVERYONE in coastal Florida has noticed. Every coastal town and city.
The inland waterway now regularly surges over it's banks at King tides in the Fall.
It gets worse yearly.
Everyone here in Fl understands that.
You are too stupid for words and I did refute you on saying I didn't acknowledge land was sinking.
I was, in fact, First in the thread to do so, and I taught THE WORD for the term, 'subsidence.

You are about the stupidest clown on a really stupid board.

`

Last edited:
Your conclusion is all wrong----cheaper homes all across florida went up at higher rate than the more expensive homes as investors (especially corporations) bought up homes to RENT and the government shelled out money to the low income group enabling them to pay more. Simple supply and demand.
"""cheaper homes all across florida went up at higher rate than the more expensive homes as investors""

Exactly you DOPE!
The most endangered are Expensive Oceanfront homes they are not buying. That's what the OP article says.
What a halfwit you are.
There's a constant race even in this thread for stupidest poster on a stupid board.
`

3/4 on an inch a year is not imperceptable you IDIOT!
It's Huge. That's 15" in 20 years and EVERYONE in coastal Florida has noticed. Every coastal town and city.
The inland waterway now regularly surges over it's banks at King tides in the Fall.
It gets worse yearly.
Everyone here in Fl understands that.
You are too stupid for words and I did refute you on saying I didn't acknowledge land was sinking.
I was, in fact, First in the thread to do so, and I taught THE WORD for the term, 'subsidence.

You are about the stupidest clown on a really stupid board.

`
Uh, yes it is imperceptible.

You really shouldn't use terms like KIng tides because you apparently don't know the meaning of the term. It has NOTHING to do with sea level rise.

I was a naval officer. I have forgotten more about tides than you will know. Your Chicken Little routine gets boring when it is so easily proven to be inconsequential.

Why are you so wrapped up in this topic? Did you stupidly buy a bunch of beachfront property? Your attitude borders on paranoia.

BTW, commas are your friend. You missed three in that one post. Also, "it's" is not possessive but a contraction of "it is".

"""cheaper homes all across florida went up at higher rate than the more expensive homes as investors""

Exactly you DOPE!
The most endangered are Expensive Oceanfront homes they are not buying. That's what the OP article says.
What a halfwit you are.
There's a constant race even in this thread for stupidest poster on a stupid board.
`
You do not understand the concept of investors, do you? They are not living there, dumbass!

You really shouldn't use terms like KIng tides because you apparently don't know the meaning of the term. It has NOTHING to do with sea level rise.

I was a naval officer. I have forgotten more about tides than you will know. Your Chicken Little routine gets boring when it is so easily proven to be inconsequential.

Why are you so wrapped up in this topic? Did you stupidly buy a bunch of beachfront property? Your attitude borders on paranoia.

BTW, commas are your friend. You missed three in that one post. Also, "it's" is not possessive but a contraction of "it is".

Sea-Level Rise Becoming A Hazard For Suburban South Florida Neighborhoods Far From Ocean​

WUSF Public Media - | By David Fleshler - South Florida Sun-Sentinel
September 12, 2021

Carl Juste - Miami Herald

But neighborhoods 20 miles inland are starting to feel the impact, as the Atlantic Ocean’s higher elevation makes it harder for drainage canals to keep them dry.​

Sea-level rise may appear to be a problem only for coastal residents, a hazard that comes with the awesome views and easy access to the beach.

But neighborhoods 20 miles inland are starting to feel the impact, as the Atlantic Ocean’s higher elevation makes it harder for drainage canals to keep them dry. The problem showed up last year in Tropical Storm Eta, when floodwater remained in southwest Broward neighborhoods for days, partly because the elevated ocean blocked canals from draining the region.

“It was pretty scary,” said Barb Besteni, who lives in far west Miramar. “I stepped out of house into ankle-deep water. It came three-fourths up the driveway. I’d never seen the water that high. It was scary because I didn’t know if it was going to continue to rise.”

Although her house in the Sunset Lakes community stands at the edge of the Everglades, the Atlantic’s higher elevation prevented it from draining as efficiently as in the past.
“It took a very, very long time to recede,” she said. “Two or three weeks to recede to normal levels.”

RELATED: Miles of Florida roads face ‘major problem’ from sea rise. Is state moving fast enough?

The South Florida Water Management District, which operates the big canals that sweep water into the ocean, submitted a funding request to the state this week for fixing the system, with the preliminary list of projects carrying a price tag of more than $1.5 billion. Although expensive, the pumps and other improvements would help restore the efficiency of a system built after World War II that has become more difficult to operate at a time of rising sea levels.

“When ocean water is higher, we cannot discharge, so we close the gates to avoid ocean water coming inside,” said Carolina Maran, district resiliency officer for the South Florida Water Management District. “During Eta, it was much higher than normal. And that means again that we cannot discharge to the ocean and that diminished our capacity to prevent and address flooding.”

`

You're a breathtakingly stupid POS.

The US Military on the Front Lines of Rising Seas
Growing Exposure to Coastal Flooding at East and Gulf Coast Military Bases[/b]
Published Jul 27, 2016

Sea levels are rising as global warming heats up the planet. Many military bases along the US East Coast and Gulf of Mexico are at risk of permanently losing land to the ocean in the decades ahead.

As the seas rise, high tides will reach farther inland. Tidal flooding will become more frequent and extensive. When hurricanes strike, deeper and more extensive storm surge flooding will occur.

The US Armed Forces depend on safe and functional bases to protect the national security of our country. We must prepare for the growing exposure of our military bases to sea level rise.

Military bases at risk
18 military installations are included in this analysis. Each location's changing exposure to flooding is projected through the end of the century:

Maine: Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
New Jersey: US Coast Guard Station Sandy Hook
Maryland: US Naval Academy
Washington, DC: Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling and Washington Navy Yard
Virginia: Joint Base Langley-Eustis | Naval Air Station Oceana Dam Neck Annex | Naval Station Norfolk
North Carolina: Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune
South Carolina: Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island and Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort
Georgia: Hunter Army Airfield | Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay
Florida: Naval Air Station Key West | Naval Station Mayport | Eglin Air Force Base

Key findings
The military is at risk of losing land where vital infrastructure, training and testing grounds, and housing for thousands of its personnel currently exist.

By 2050, most of the installations in this analysis will see more than 10 times the number of floods they experience today.

By 2070, half of the sites could experience 520 or more flood events annually—the equivalent of more than one flood daily.

By 2100, Eight bases are at risk of losing 25% to 50% or more of their land to rising seas.

Four installations—Naval Air Station Key West, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Dam Neck Annex, and Parris Island—are at risk of losing between 75 and 95 Percent of their land by the end of this century.

Flooding won’t be confined to the bases. Many surrounding communities will also face growing exposure to rising seas.
[.....]
`

Last edited:

Sea-Level Rise Becoming A Hazard For Suburban South Florida Neighborhoods Far From Ocean​

WUSF Public Media - | By David Fleshler - South Florida Sun-Sentinel
September 12, 2021

Carl Juste - Miami Herald

But neighborhoods 20 miles inland are starting to feel the impact, as the Atlantic Ocean’s higher elevation makes it harder for drainage canals to keep them dry.​

Sea-level rise may appear to be a problem only for coastal residents, a hazard that comes with the awesome views and easy access to the beach.

But neighborhoods 20 miles inland are starting to feel the impact, as the Atlantic Ocean’s higher elevation makes it harder for drainage canals to keep them dry. The problem showed up last year in Tropical Storm Eta, when floodwater remained in southwest Broward neighborhoods for days, partly because the elevated ocean blocked canals from draining the region.

“It was pretty scary,” said Barb Besteni, who lives in far west Miramar. “I stepped out of house into ankle-deep water. It came three-fourths up the driveway. I’d never seen the water that high. It was scary because I didn’t know if it was going to continue to rise.”

Although her house in the Sunset Lakes community stands at the edge of the Everglades, the Atlantic’s higher elevation prevented it from draining as efficiently as in the past.
“It took a very, very long time to recede,” she said. “Two or three weeks to recede to normal levels.”

RELATED: Miles of Florida roads face ‘major problem’ from sea rise. Is state moving fast enough?

The South Florida Water Management District, which operates the big canals that sweep water into the ocean, submitted a funding request to the state this week for fixing the system, with the preliminary list of projects carrying a price tag of more than $1.5 billion. Although expensive, the pumps and other improvements would help restore the efficiency of a system built after World War II that has become more difficult to operate at a time of rising sea levels.

“When ocean water is higher, we cannot discharge, so we close the gates to avoid ocean water coming inside,” said Carolina Maran, district resiliency officer for the South Florida Water Management District. “During Eta, it was much higher than normal. And that means again that we cannot discharge to the ocean and that diminished our capacity to prevent and address flooding.”

`
That was because of a tropical storm, you stupid piece of shit!

Do you even read your links? Apparently, you do, and are too stupid the understand them.

You're a breathtakingly stupid POS.
There's a big difference between passing the ASVAB (app 83 IQ) and Mensa/Me that's minimum 50 points higher.

The US Military on the Front Lines of Rising Seas
Growing Exposure to Coastal Flooding at East and Gulf Coast Military Bases[/b]
Published Jul 27, 2016

Sea levels are rising as global warming heats up the planet. Many military bases along the US East Coast and Gulf of Mexico are at risk of permanently losing land to the ocean in the decades ahead.

As the seas rise, high tides will reach farther inland. Tidal flooding will become more frequent and extensive. When hurricanes strike, deeper and more extensive storm surge flooding will occur.

The US Armed Forces depend on safe and functional bases to protect the national security of our country. We must prepare for the growing exposure of our military bases to sea level rise.

Military bases at risk
18 military installations are included in this analysis. Each location's changing exposure to flooding is projected through the end of the century:

Maine: Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
New Jersey: US Coast Guard Station Sandy Hook
Maryland: US Naval Academy
Washington, DC: Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling and Washington Navy Yard
Virginia: Joint Base Langley-Eustis | Naval Air Station Oceana Dam Neck Annex | Naval Station Norfolk
North Carolina: Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune
South Carolina: Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island and Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort
Georgia: Hunter Army Airfield | Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay
Florida: Naval Air Station Key West | Naval Station Mayport | Eglin Air Force Base
Key findings
The military is at risk of losing land where vital infrastructure, training and testing grounds, and housing for thousands of its personnel currently exist.

By 2050, most of the installations in this analysis will see more than 10 times the number of floods they experience today.

By 2070, half of the sites could experience 520 or more flood events annually—the equivalent of more than one flood daily.

By 2100, Eight bases are at risk of losing 25% to 50% or more of their land to rising seas.

Four installations—Naval Air Station Key West, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Dam Neck Annex, and Parris Island—are at risk of losing between 75 and 95 Percent of their land by the end of this century.

Flooding won’t be confined to the bases. Many surrounding communities will also face growing exposure to rising seas.

`
I was assigned to Dam Neck, Virginia in 1984. Flooding was a problem back then. It's a fucking swamp!

I was also assigned to Naval Station Mayport twice onboard ships, and the base is at an elevation of 10 feet above sea level. We never had a problem with flooding. I played golf near the beach until I moved north (against my will) in 2006.

By 2050, I will be 90 years old. Do you think I care about your microscopic seal level rises?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back