Rising Sea Levels Reshape Miami’s Housing Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was because of a tropical storm, you stupid piece of shit!
Do you even read your links? Apparently, you do, and are too stupid the understand them.
You ****** Moron
Same Link

"...The ground already had been saturated by previous storms. And coastal waters were undergoing a king tide, a phenomenon that occurs when the positions of sun and moon combine to produce the highest tides of the year. As sea levels rise, King Tides get higher.

The wide canals that run through Broward and Miami-Dade counties, carrying rainwater to the ocean, depend partly on gravity.
When rainwater raises the level of the canal on the inland side, water managers lift the gate dividing it from the ocean side of the canal and the water flows away, eventually reaching the Atlantic..."

`

Do me a favor and wake me up in 2050 so I could see if your predictions came true.

I prefer reading posts in English. Do you think you could try a little harder? The GED is not meeting your needs.
You have NOTHING of substance to say.. ever.
You've gone from denial (and getting Crushed with no rebuttal), to "I don't care because I'm old."
You are as Stupid a poster as exists here/anywhere.
`

Miami flooding but only at extra high tides in streets built below the high tide mark.

That type of flooding has nothing to do with a rising sea level

Yet, no flooding if there are no storms and there are normal tides.

Built below high tide? Yes, exactly. One would think that with the advent of modern surveying
technology, adequate for the purpose as early as the 1950s, that roads in American coastal cities would be built at least above the predictable daily high tide marks. However, Miami is an exception [one of many, unfortunately

Geological indications are that the earth might be still emerging from a celestial 2nd ice age. Blame U.S. decadence for global warming? Why not?

Miami Beach , 2020.​

Miami Beach is dumping $16 million in fresh sand to push back against erosion

The idea is to build a buffer between the condos and the Rising Seas.
1/15/2020

"...Miami Beach leaders can’t agree on what to do about climate change. But one way to keep the condos dry, at least for now, is to build a buffer between the condos and the Rising Seas.

That means dumping fresh sand on the beach — $16 million worth.

To push back against erosion caused by Sea Level Rise and storms, four beachfront strips on Miami Beach are receiving a federally funded face lift beginning this week.

Crews will dump 100 truckloads of sand every day. A total of 61,000 tons will be used.
The sand comes via trucks from a mine in Hendry County, east of Fort Myers, courtesy of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which routinely conducts “beach renourishment” projects along Miami-Dade County’s coastline.

Deceptive pix. Virtually every city on Florida's East Coast that end in 'Beach' (and many that don't) used replenished sand from inland

Miami 'Beach' 2020

View attachment 588411

`

Miami CREATED that problem. I learned that growing up on a Florida beach. The DUNES SYSTEM is the natural barrier for EROSION. This is EROSION, not due primarily to ocean rise.

When you DESTROY THE DUNES -- you leave yourself WIDE OPEN to erosion and EVENTUALLY after a decade of good strong storms and 'canes -- you (as a city) will NEED bring in more beach.

That pic aint even the worse of it. IF YOU TRY TO FIX IT by putting up seawalls, like I saw in the 80s and 90s on my hometown beach -- you wont have to wait very long til your beach is unrecognizable.

Glad to help you understand nature --- anytime bro.. LOL...

Yes we are Blind Jerk.
Look at the thread title, it's about "SEA LEVEL" not sand flow, and NOT Seasonal but Decadal.
`

The pic you put up of ocean hi rises IS a "sand flow" issue. Stop pestering people who have seen it and lived it. If the Brandon or Obama "stopped the seas from rising tomorrow" -- THEY'D STILL be carting sand to that beach becuse they fucking busted mother nature's DUNES system of replenishing the beach.

Not much of an environmentalist -- are ya ??

Sea-Level Rise Becoming A Hazard For Suburban South Florida Neighborhoods Far From Ocean​

WUSF Public Media - | By David Fleshler - South Florida Sun-Sentinel
September 12, 2021

Carl Juste - Miami Herald

But neighborhoods 20 miles inland are starting to feel the impact, as the Atlantic Ocean’s higher elevation makes it harder for drainage canals to keep them dry.​

Sea-level rise may appear to be a problem only for coastal residents, a hazard that comes with the awesome views and easy access to the beach.

But neighborhoods 20 miles inland are starting to feel the impact, as the Atlantic Ocean’s higher elevation makes it harder for drainage canals to keep them dry. The problem showed up last year in Tropical Storm Eta, when floodwater remained in southwest Broward neighborhoods for days, partly because the elevated ocean blocked canals from draining the region.

“It was pretty scary,” said Barb Besteni, who lives in far west Miramar. “I stepped out of house into ankle-deep water. It came three-fourths up the driveway. I’d never seen the water that high. It was scary because I didn’t know if it was going to continue to rise.”

Although her house in the Sunset Lakes community stands at the edge of the Everglades, the Atlantic’s higher elevation prevented it from draining as efficiently as in the past.
“It took a very, very long time to recede,” she said. “Two or three weeks to recede to normal levels.”

RELATED: Miles of Florida roads face ‘major problem’ from sea rise. Is state moving fast enough?

The South Florida Water Management District, which operates the big canals that sweep water into the ocean, submitted a funding request to the state this week for fixing the system, with the preliminary list of projects carrying a price tag of more than $1.5 billion. Although expensive, the pumps and other improvements would help restore the efficiency of a system built after World War II that has become more difficult to operate at a time of rising sea levels.

“When ocean water is higher, we cannot discharge, so we close the gates to avoid ocean water coming inside,” said Carolina Maran, district resiliency officer for the South Florida Water Management District. “During Eta, it was much higher than normal. And that means again that we cannot discharge to the ocean and that diminished our capacity to prevent and address flooding.”

`

They are two feet above sea level. This is a surprise to you?

The pic you put up of ocean hi rises IS a "sand flow" issue. Stop pestering people who have seen it and lived it. If the Brandon or Obama "stopped the seas from rising tomorrow" -- THEY'D STILL be carting sand to that beach becuse they fucking busted mother nature's DUNES system of replenishing the beach.

Not much of an environmentalist -- are ya ??
westwall elektra
LOL
Went through this early in the thread.
My post #16
NO, NOT JUST SAND but Sea Level and subsidence.

All you Clowns not only have no IQ but empty Political and personal hostility.
Note NONE of you posted a link above to document your opinions.
Not all of you together are close to debating me.

Why Are Sea Levels Around Miami Rising So Much Faster Than Other Places?

Sea levels in South Florida have gone up about a Foot since the 1930s, but around 2011, the slow upward creep of the ocean seemed to kick into high gear, with tidal gauges recording much Faster rates of sea level rise and residents noting a stark uptick in so-called “nuisance” floods.
A new study confirms that this was not Floridians’ imaginations:
From 2011 to at least 2015, the rate of sea level rise across the Southeastern US shot up by a factor of Six, from 3-4 millimeters a year to 20,
and a combination of oceanic and atmospheric processes seem to be responsible
[.....]
“The Miami area started getting almost an Inch of sea level [rise] a Year,” Hal Wanless, a coastal geologist at the University of Miami, told Gizmodo. “People Noticed that.”..

SSSSPPPPLATTTTTTTT

westwall elektra
LOL
My post #16

Sea levels in South Florida have gone up about a Foot since the 1930s, but around 2011, the slow upward creep of the ocean seemed to kick into high gear, with tidal gauges recording much Faster rates of sea level rise and residents noting a stark uptick in so-called “nuisance” floods.
From 2011 to at least 2015, the rate of sea level rise across the Southeastern US shot up by a factor of Six, from 3-4 millimeters a year to 20,
[.....]
“The Miami area started getting almost an Inch of sea level [rise] a Year,” Hal Wanless, a coastal geologist at the University of Miami, told Gizmodo. “People Noticed that.”..

SSSSPPPPLATTTTTTTT

Yes, your old studies show the old predictions did not come true.

May I quote from your link, and show they predicted more storms, the fact is there has been less storms.

increasingly threatened by storm surges

Since the study, they have been threatened less, decreasing storms.

westwall elektra
LOL
My post #16

[.....]

SSSSPPPPLATTTTTTTT

Could you be more of an emotional intentionally misleading douche?

"...The location of the observed intervals of SLR >20 mm/yr (hereafter referred to as hot spots) migrates over time (Figure 3) and can be observed south of (1947–1948), north of (2009–2010), or approximately centered on (1971–1972) Cape Hatteras, where the Gulf Stream separates from the shelf break. This separation leads to a sea level gradient between the Gulf Stream and cooler, subpolar water from the north. In turn, the gradient has a decisive influence on sea level variations to the north of Cape Hatteras as the strength of the Gulf Stream fluctuates, with only subtle, if any, effects to the south [Yin et al., 2009; Bingham and Hughes, 2009]. Therefore, the shift of the SLR hot spot from north to south of the Cape from 2009 to 2015 implies a mechanism other than AMOC strength...

Sea-Level Rise Becoming A Hazard For Suburban South Florida Neighborhoods Far From Ocean​

WUSF Public Media - | By David Fleshler - South Florida Sun-Sentinel
September 12, 2021

Carl Juste - Miami Herald

But neighborhoods 20 miles inland are starting to feel the impact, as the Atlantic Ocean’s higher elevation makes it harder for drainage canals to keep them dry.​

Sea-level rise may appear to be a problem only for coastal residents, a hazard that comes with the awesome views and easy access to the beach.

But neighborhoods 20 miles inland are starting to feel the impact, as the Atlantic Ocean’s higher elevation makes it harder for drainage canals to keep them dry. The problem showed up last year in Tropical Storm Eta, when floodwater remained in southwest Broward neighborhoods for days, partly because the elevated ocean blocked canals from draining the region.

“It was pretty scary,” said Barb Besteni, who lives in far west Miramar. “I stepped out of house into ankle-deep water. It came three-fourths up the driveway. I’d never seen the water that high. It was scary because I didn’t know if it was going to continue to rise.”

Although her house in the Sunset Lakes community stands at the edge of the Everglades, the Atlantic’s higher elevation prevented it from draining as efficiently as in the past.
“It took a very, very long time to recede,” she said. “Two or three weeks to recede to normal levels.”

RELATED: Miles of Florida roads face ‘major problem’ from sea rise. Is state moving fast enough?

The South Florida Water Management District, which operates the big canals that sweep water into the ocean, submitted a funding request to the state this week for fixing the system, with the preliminary list of projects carrying a price tag of more than $1.5 billion. Although expensive, the pumps and other improvements would help restore the efficiency of a system built after World War II that has become more difficult to operate at a time of rising sea levels.

“When ocean water is higher, we cannot discharge, so we close the gates to avoid ocean water coming inside,” said Carolina Maran, district resiliency officer for the South Florida Water Management District. “During Eta, it was much higher than normal. And that means again that we cannot discharge to the ocean and that diminished our capacity to prevent and address flooding.”

`

That water issue came from a HURRICANE. And with the shallow fresh water table in a state that geologically looks like a sponge from the air -- the AFTER AFFECTS of draining the RAIN and Storm surge can take days easily. Florida doesn't drain to the sea with rivers and streams largely. It drains thru limestone rivers underground that boost the water table.

Ypu can put a pump in for irrigation damn near ANYWHERE in the state and not have to drill more than 15 feet down. So you GET 15 to 20 INCHES of rain falling for a couple days and it all is draining literally under your feet.

The problem did not come from 5" of sea level rise in your lifetime.

That water issue came from a HURRICANE. And with the shallow fresh water table in a state that geologically looks like a sponge from the air -- the AFTER AFFECTS of draining the RAIN and Storm surge can take days easily. Florida doesn't drain to the sea with rivers and streams largely. It drains thru limestone rivers underground that boost the water table.

Ypu can put a pump in for irrigation damn near ANYWHERE in the state and not have to drill more than 15 feet down. So you GET 15 to 20 INCHES of rain falling for a couple days and it all is draining literally under your feet.

The problem did not come from 5" of sea level rise in your lifetime.

It also drains off the ground, and built up areas trap the water. These idiots know so little about how the world actually functions it is astonishing.

You ****** Moron
Same Link

"...The ground already had been saturated by previous storms. And coastal waters were undergoing a king tide, a phenomenon that occurs when the positions of sun and moon combine to produce the highest tides of the year. As sea levels rise, King Tides get higher.

The wide canals that run through Broward and Miami-Dade counties, carrying rainwater to the ocean, depend partly on gravity.
When rainwater raises the level of the canal on the inland side, water managers lift the gate dividing it from the ocean side of the canal and the water flows away, eventually reaching the Atlantic..."

`
so what do you think that means? come on man, make our day, we're in for a good laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back