How the housing market is yanking the ‘American dream’ increasingly out of reach of millennials

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Lara Gale remembers the excitement she felt as a 12-year-old when her parents first bought their 4,600-square-foot home in the foothills of the Wasatch Front suburb of Sandy.

The Mediterranean-style house — with its unique arched doorways and windows — was a big upgrade from their first home, which had only two bedrooms and an unfinished basement. The new one had six bedrooms, more than enough for Gale, her three siblings and her parents. It had a large, maze-like basement and a sprawling backyard with a spectacular view of Lone Peak.

“It was like a castle,” Gale recalled her 12-year-old self thinking.

Fast forward 29 years. Gale is now 41 years old, and when she visits the home where her parents still live, she appreciates its size and space even more — especially now as an adult who navigated the housing market frenzy in 2021, a year of record-high prices and ruthless competition.

Her story reflects the struggle of millennials, those born in the 1980s or later, who have aged into the housing market at the worst possible time, as Fortune put it. They now make up 43% of home buyers, the most of any generation, according to the National Association of Realtors, while home prices continue on a startling trajectory, rising exponentially faster than American incomes.

Overall, the average millennial has experienced slower economic growth since entering the workforce than any other generation in U.S. history, The Washington Post reported in a story labeling millennials the unluckiest generation in U.S. history.”

And now, as the price of housing shoots higher and higher into the clouds with no clear end in sight, millennials — and yes, Gen Z — are finding it nearly impossible to afford a home. Especially a home like the one their parents bought years prior.

How the housing market is making boomers richer and millennials poorer

I don't know about “the unluckiest generation in U.S. history” but they are certainly the whiniest one.

Gale should have lowered her expectations by a lot. A near 5K sq ft home is something you work up to.

10 years ago this home was only $80,000 to build. After full modifications. Nicer kitchen floors etc. Which added about 8k

This is the price to build today.

$188,700

Right before covid I remember looking at it I remember looking at it as my daughter was looking at homes. It was 120 k

timeline-us-debt-history-updated-4d46.jpg

The market will work itself out
Right now there is still rampant speculation

As the pool of eligible buyers drys up, the market will drop to entice them to buy.

Our residential construction outfit never even does starter homes anymore, just 800K and up, or high end remodeling,
With the cost of city permits, lots, fees, licenses, workers comp, lumber prices, gas, materials, tools...etc, there is no money in it.
I can't afford the houses we build, but I sure build a lot for wealthy liberals in gated communities.

We are on a nation wide housing bubble & it will burst.
This would be normal in many places like LA, Chicago, NY because they are constantly bubbling & bursting.
It's unprecedented because the insane appreciation was taking place in almost all regions, including where the historic yearly appreciation rates were closer to 3% or less.
This bubble will burst because the rising prices & interest makes purchasing a house unaffordable to a growing number of potential buyers.
How far it deflates is the question because I don't think they want the avg American to own home & have the freedom that entails. I think they will try to artificially prop up the prices to prevent the American Dream from becoming a realistic option for the majority.
Private property is a pillar of freedom & home ownership is how most Americans grow their wealth.
Can't have that in the reset

Starter homes just down the highway from my modest house are now starting at 300K. Literally the cheapest you can find for new homes.

I wouldn't want that monthly payment.

Still affordable
If you put 10 percent down, you have a $270 k mortgage

At 5% that is $13,500 a year or about $1200 a month

Still affordable

That doesn't account for escrow or insurance and property tax accounts that almost all buyers attach to their monthly payments.
Add at least 500 a month to that payment.

Rental properties are just as bad, and builders are mostly putting up higher end apartments for the same reasons I mentioned above.
No money in building affordable homes.

Still affordable

And the other part...........Insurance and taxes. My daughter was almost in a 350k home loan in Texas. State taxes there were 8 k a year. Then add in the insurance. power etc.........

The lower middle class can't afford this on 2 jobs.

Covid did to my area what I thought would never happen. Inflated the price of homes to hell and back. Normal houses that I looked at just before covid went up 60 to 70k in a matter of a couple of years.

That doesn't account for escrow or insurance and property tax accounts that almost all buyers attach to their monthly payments.
Add at least 500 a month to that payment.

Rental properties are just as bad, and builders are mostly putting up higher end apartments for the same reasons I mentioned above.
No money in building affordable homes.
OK

You are still looking at $2000 a month for mortgage, taxes, insurance

Well within the reach of a two income couple

OK

You are still looking at $2000 a month for mortgage, taxes, insurance

Well within the reach of a two income couple
Overpriced BS because they have destroyed the dollar, and shut down the economy for a bs virus, and jacked up the price of everything.

Milenials will have nothing left to enjoy life after Moonbats like you get done with them. You ARE LOCUSTS. Took a damn PLANNEDEMIC to do this in Alabama. INSANITY and you approve Moonbat.

Lara Gale remembers the excitement she felt as a 12-year-old when her parents first bought their 4,600-square-foot home in the foothills of the Wasatch Front suburb of Sandy.

The Mediterranean-style house — with its unique arched doorways and windows — was a big upgrade from their first home, which had only two bedrooms and an unfinished basement. The new one had six bedrooms, more than enough for Gale, her three siblings and her parents. It had a large, maze-like basement and a sprawling backyard with a spectacular view of Lone Peak.

Fast forward 29 years. Gale is now 41 years old, and when she visits the home where her parents still live, she appreciates its size and space even more — especially now as an adult who navigated the housing market frenzy in 2021, a year of record-high prices and ruthless competition.

Her story reflects the struggle of millennials, those born in the 1980s or later, who have aged into the housing market at the worst possible time, as Fortune put it. They now make up 43% of home buyers, the most of any generation, according to the National Association of Realtors, while home prices continue on a startling trajectory, rising exponentially faster than American incomes.

Overall, the average millennial has experienced slower economic growth since entering the workforce than any other generation in U.S. history, The Washington Post reported in a story labeling millennials the unluckiest generation in U.S. history.”

And now, as the price of housing shoots higher and higher into the clouds with no clear end in sight, millennials — and yes, Gen Z — are finding it nearly impossible to afford a home. Especially a home like the one their parents bought years prior.

I don't know about “the unluckiest generation in U.S. history” but they are certainly the whiniest one.

Gale should have lowered her expectations by a lot. A near 5K sq ft home is something you work up to.
A 5000 foot lot is sufficient.
tikko.jpg

I agree about the expectations thing. Even beyond size, there is the age factor. I was the only person who ever put an offer in on my house when it was listed for 6 months and as REO. It needed some work, but at the same time, it is a solid house built in the early 80's. Apparently it was too "dated" for the market at the time because egad it only had Formica counter tops and had carpets. Dumbass bank decided to say no to my 55 cent on the dollar offer and auction it off where they turned around and sold it to me at 25 cents on the dollar. The great recession gave us some good deals on real estate. Those times will come again after the next even greater one.

Forum List

Back