RIP Steelers Hall-of-Famer Franco Harris, his #32 1st to be retired since Greene, The immaculate reception happened 50 years ago this week, watch it!

What was so great was that shutdown Defense
They gave up like 12 points a game
Arguably the best defense in NFL history. Guys like Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Mel Blount and Mean Joe made them formidable. The only comparable defense that I can think of would have been the 1969 Kansas City Chiefs.

Arguably the best defense in NFL history. Guys like Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Mel Blount and Mean Joe made them formidable. The only comparable defense that I can think of would have been the 1969 Kansas City Chiefs.

I think the 85 Bears was the scariest Defense.
You actually feared for the opposing QB

But the Steel Curtain was better

RIP. Probably the greatest running back of the post Jim Brown era. In fact he was so good, that he and Jim Brown had a highly publicized rift as Franco closed in on Browns all time rushing yards record that led to them competing against each other in a televised athletic competition.

What was so great was that shutdown Defense
They gave up like 12 points a game
The Steelers had the old NFL mindset still. As they came from the old defense stodgy NFL to the new AFC. The old AFL was offense oriented even though there were teams with good defenses. Good teams in that era even if it seems one conference dominate for a while than the other took its place in Super bowls.

FkgxvLEWQAUFJg5

Probably the Greatest Italian gridironer in my lifetime. The Chairman of the Board, Sinatra, was the leader of Harris' fan club, Franco's Italian Army.

(1) From all indications, Franco was a marvelous human being. He embraced Pittsburgh as much as Pittsburgh embraced him.

(2) Franco flew under the radar when he was drafted. At Penn State, Lydell Mitchell was the main attraction, and Harris played second banana.

(3) The great Steeler teams of the 70's were largely the product of effective use of anabolic steroids - before other teams caught on. Those linemen got "great" in the weight room - Mean Joe being the exception. He conspicuously couldn't bench press much more than his own weight. The other linemen were benching 500 lbs plus.

(4) Franco Harris wore out his welcome in Pittsburgh before he departed and retired. The marvelous runner who used to break tackles in his early years was dropping like a sack of potatoes on first contact, or running for the sidelines when he was under assault. But "we" forgave him for that.

(5) Pittsburgh traditionally names its bridges after prominent PIttsburghers (e.g., the Roberto Clemente Bridge, leading to PNC Park). There is a movement to name the Fern Hollow Bridge, which famously collapsed last year and will shortly be re-opened, as the Franco Harris Bridge. It would be a nice tribute; it's in a beautiful part of town.

Forum List

Back