Steelers Legend Franco Harris Dies at 72

Doc7505

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2016

Steelers Legend Franco Harris Dies at 72;

Hall of Famer Won Super Bowl 4 Times

21 Dec 2022 ~~ By Tyler Conway

Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris died Wednesday, just three days before the Pittsburgh Steelers were set to retire his No. 32 at a ceremony Saturday night.
He was 72.
Dok Harris, Franco's son, confirmed his father's death to Will Graves of The Associated Press. No cause of death has been reported.

Commentary:

Watching this play still gives me goosebumps. RIP to Franco Harris, the man who gave us this indelible moment in NFL history.
My condolences to the Harris family.
Franco Harris came from a different era of Football.
Some of us are old enough to remember a different NFL: images of muddy, bloodied players, taped up broken fingers, taped, wrapped shoes, forearm pads used as clubs, missing front teeth. Underpaid. Used up, then discarded. Sad really. But they didn’t disrespect the flag or take a knee.
Unlike many of today's players who don't grasp the concept that if professional sports disappeared tomorrow...life for the rest of us would go on just fine.

Last edited:
Harris was one of those truly unstoppable ball carriers during his prime. Up there with Jim Brown and Earl Campbell.

Unlike Campbell and some others like him, at least Harris was able to win some Super Bowls and got the fame that went along with it--all well deserved.

He will be missed.

Steelers Legend Franco Harris Dies at 72;

Hall of Famer Won Super Bowl 4 Times

21 Dec 2022 ~~ By Tyler Conway

Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris died Wednesday, just three days before the Pittsburgh Steelers were set to retire his No. 32 at a ceremony Saturday night.
He was 72.
Dok Harris, Franco's son, confirmed his father's death to Will Graves of The Associated Press. No cause of death has been reported.

Commentary:

Watching this play still gives me goosebumps. RIP to Franco Harris, the man who gave us this indelible moment in NFL history.
My condolences to the Harris family.
Franco Harris came from a different era of Football.
Some of us are old enough to remember a different NFL: images of muddy, bloodied players, taped up broken fingers, taped, wrapped shoes, forearm pads used as clubs, missing front teeth. Underpaid. Used up, then discarded. Sad really. But they didn’t disrespect the flag or take a knee.
Unlike many of today's players who don't grasp the concept that if professional sports disappeared tomorrow...life for the rest of us would go on just fine.

i remember back in the day that football players played for the love of the game.

Harris was one of those truly unstoppable ball carriers during his prime. Up there with Jim Brown and Earl Campbell.

Unlike Campbell and some others like him, at least Harris was able to win some Super Bowls and got the fame that went along with it--all well deserved.

He will be missed.
~~~~~~
One of the few and rare times I agree with you

Harris’s death was considered sudden, as he had been active on social media just days before his death and had spoken to visitors at the Heinz History Center the day before his death. Harris's death just days before the 50th anniversary of the Immaculate Reception and his subsequent jersey number retirement was immediately reminiscent of Pittsburgh Pirates legend Willie Stargell, who died on the same day as the official opening of PNC Park (replacing where he had played across town at Forbes Field) in 2001 and only two days following the unveiling of a bronze statue at PNC Park of Stargell.

Terry Bradshaw, who had found out about Harris’s death from his wife after seeing a text message from Mel Blount, had just seen Harris two weeks before filming material related to the Immaculate Reception’s anniversary and was in a "state of shock". Bradshaw went on to say about Harris that "as a teammate, he was just the best".

The Steelers play in Pittsburgh uncustomarily this Saturday Night in bitter cold against the Vegas Raiders. Now, it will be just a bit colder.

RIP Franco. Great ball player.

A lot of the older athletes tend to die younger than most, due to having enlarged hearts from the years of heavy workouts when they were young, so probably a heart attack or an aneurysm or something related would be my guess. I'm kind of surprised Bradshaw is still around; he took a whole lot of hard hits back then, when they didn't baby quarterbacks and they had to play real football like the rest of the players.

Wonder if he was stressed out over the coming honor he was about to receive?
Seems strange with all of the hoopla about the 50th anniversary of 'The Immaculate Reception' that he would die just as it was happening.

Forum List

Back