RIP Mitzi Shore, founder of The Comedy Store

Witchit

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2014
TARDIS
And essentially godmother to a host of incredible talents.

I did post in the dead thread, but she feels bigger than that. Fascinating woman, fascinating life.

Comedy Store Owner Mitzi Shore Dies at 87

Mitzi Shore founded the legendary Los Angeles comedy club the Comedy Store in 1972 and became owner two years later. During her tenure, she influenced careers of up-and-coming comedians such as Robin Williams, Jay Leno, David Letterman, Chevy Chase, Jim Carrey, Chris Rock and Richard Pryor.

Mitzi Shore is credited for naming the club, which co-founded by her husband at the time, Sammy Shore, and fellow comedian Rudy DeLuca. When Sammy and Mitzi divorced in 1974, Mitzi gained ownership of the club. The Comedy Store building on Sunset Boulevard was formerly occupied by popular Hollywood nightclub Ciro’s.

Comedians Remember Mitzi Shore: She ‘Made an Indelible Mark on Comedy’

She helped shape comedy in this country
She was beloved by the comics, and that ain’t easy

I haven't really looked at the timeline, but the trailblazers like Carol Burnett, Joan Rivers, Lucille Ball - they were first in comedy, but not so much in stand-up. I think I was in my thirties before I realized that what those women accomplished was amazing, given how women were perceived and treated, back in the day.

I haven't really looked at the timeline, but the trailblazers like Carol Burnett, Joan Rivers, Lucille Ball - they were first in comedy, but not so much in stand-up. I think I was in my thirties before I realized that what those women accomplished was amazing, given how women were perceived and treated, back in the day.
Joan Rivers was an early female standup. Phylis Diller was another

Lucy and Carol were more into physical comedy

I often walk by the Comedy Store on Sunset when I take my exercise walks.

I did NOT know that it was the site of Ciro's.

Thanks for the info.

I join other members in expressing my sympathies to her family and friends.

Forum List

Back