Rio Bravo

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
On the BBC last night. Ive seen it many times but still enjoyed it. Its Waynes film and hes backed up by a stellar cast including Ward Bond,Dean Martin and Walter Brennan. What lse do you need ? Angie Dickinson maybe ? The resemblance to El Dorado is very strong but thy are diffeerent scripts, both excellent. El Dorado was also made by Howard Hawks.
There was a political element to it as it was made as a response to High Noon. But it is not too heavily pshed and it is possible to enjoy both films.

They showed it as a double feature with The Searchers which I also watched. I think Rio Bravo is the better film on balance but The Searchers is a great movie as well.

I found it to be somewhat entertaining yet the recreation of character grooming styles was not reflective of actual circumstances.

On the BBC last night. Ive seen it many times but still enjoyed it. Its Waynes film and hes backed up by a stellar cast including Ward Bond,Dean Martin and Walter Brennan. What lse do you need ? Angie Dickinson maybe ? The resemblance to El Dorado is very strong but thy are diffeerent scripts, both excellent. El Dorado was also made by Howard Hawks.
There was a political element to it as it was made as a response to High Noon. But it is not too heavily pshed and it is possible to enjoy both films.

They showed it as a double feature with The Searchers which I also watched. I think Rio Bravo is the better film on balance but The Searchers is a great movie as well.

I also watch john wayne films over and over

particularly the ones directed by john ford

It's one my favor westerns. Howard Hawks in an interview years after he Made Rio Bravo said it was one his best and the one he enjoyed making the most. He said the whole cast worked well together and the anticipated rivalry between Mitcham and Wayne never happen.

John Wayne made a number of comments about High Noon and none of them were complementary. In fact, he said he hated the movie because it portrayed western lawmen as weak and indecisive. In spite of his feelings about the movie, he accepted the best actor Oscar for Gary Cooper's for his performance as Will Kane in High Noon.

Unlike John Wayne, Gary Cooper grew up on a large ranch owned by his wealthy father who was a state supreme Court judge in Montana. In his youth he was the cowboy John Wayne played. He was an accomplished rider who became a stunt rider in westerns as way to get into the movies and it was there he met John Wayne.

Unlike Wayne, Cooper was a student of old west and never liked the way Wayne portrayed the old west because he knew it was completely phony. So he had no problem playing Will Kane in High Noon and other characters who lacked the bigger than life image that Wayne created in his rolls.

John Wayne is credited with creating an image of Old West that audiences loved and other actor copied. Unfortunately that image was far from the truth, yet that never seem to phase Wayne. To John Wayne western laymen were heroes and men of integrity dedicated to enforcing the law and that is way he played them although history paints a very different picture.

John Wayne made a number of comments about High Noon and none of them were complementary. In fact, he said he hated the movie because it portrayed western lawmen as weak and indecisive. In spite of his feelings about the movie, he accepted the best actor Oscar for Gary Cooper's for his performance as Will Kane in High Noon.

Unlike John Wayne, Gary Cooper grew up on a large ranch owned by his wealthy father who was a state supreme Court judge in Montana. In his youth he was the cowboy John Wayne played. He was an accomplished rider who became a stunt rider in westerns as way to get into the movies and it was there he met John Wayne.

Unlike Wayne, Cooper was a student of old west and never liked the way Wayne portrayed the old west because he knew it was completely phony. So he had no problem playing Will Kane in High Noon and other characters who lacked the bigger than life image that Wayne created in his rolls.

John Wayne is credited with creating an image of Old West that audiences loved and other actor copied. Unfortunately that image was far from the truth, yet that never seem to phase Wayne. To John Wayne western laymen were heroes and men of integrity dedicated to enforcing the law and that is way he played them although history paints a very different picture.
I dont think there is any argument about who is the greater actor. Having said that I think that there is room for High Noon and Rio Bravo. The western is built on larger than life heroes and there will have been people like that in the Old west. Its nice to watch a film and see Jimmy Stewart or Joel Macrae on screen and know that everything is going to be ok.

I always thought that Waynes beef was that Cooper threw his badge in the dirt. He considered it un American. Crazy to consider that Kane was a coward when he stood his ground without any support from the town. I think he got it very wrong. Cooper played him as an ordinary man not a "superhero" and his performance was better for that.

Hondo was on last night. Thats an oddity of a film. My mate is the worlds biggest wayne fan reckons its his best film and back in the day he loaned me his treasured vhs copy of it. This was pre streaming era an when it wasnt widely available. I found it a bit uneven which I put down to it being a 3D film. Still very enjoyable but I wonder how Western fans on here feel about it ?

I dont think there is any argument about who is the greater actor. Having said that I think that there is room for High Noon and Rio Bravo. The western is built on larger than life heroes and there will have been people like that in the Old west. Its nice to watch a film and see Jimmy Stewart or Joel Macrae on screen and know that everything is going to be ok.

I always thought that Waynes beef was that Cooper threw his badge in the dirt. He considered it un American. Crazy to consider that Kane was a coward when he stood his ground without any support from the town. I think he got it very wrong. Cooper played him as an ordinary man not a "superhero" and his performance was better for that.

Hondo was on last night. Thats an oddity of a film. My mate is the worlds biggest wayne fan reckons its his best film and back in the day he loaned me his treasured vhs copy of it. This was pre streaming era an when it wasnt widely available. I found it a bit uneven which I put down to it being a 3D film. Still very enjoyable but I wonder how Western fans on here feel about it ?
Was the copy you watched actually in 3D? This film was shot with Warmers mulita-format camera producing both a 3D and Warner's wide screen version. Warner was a big believer in 3D. What they did not consider is the huge number of small theaters that didn't have a screen capability of handling Warner's 3D thus the true 3D version disappeared and never made it to the VCR formats. I understand Wayne's son had the original 3D restored an put on DVD, however I don't think it got released in the states.

I liked Hondo because it is one of the few Wayne movies that had a good plot that was not overly simplest. As you probably know if you read many of my posts, I am not a fan of John Wayne but I do enjoy many of his movies because they create a picture of the west that I would like to believe existed but know it didn't.

Did you notice that James Arness was in the movie. Don't remember what character he played. Just about the time Hondo was released, John Wayne was offered the roll of Matt Dillion in Gunsmoke. However, he was not interested in TV and certainly had no interest in leaving the big screen where he was very successfully. So he promoted his friend James Arness for the part. The producers agreed to give Arness a try by shooting a couple of episodes for review provided John Wayne did some promotions for the show. Arness was giving the part and Wayne did serveral TV promotions and introduced Arness in the first episode. Thus began the longest-running dramatic series in network television history with 635 episodes and 407 dead villains. Today Gunsmoke after nearly 60 years is still being rerun on US television.

Last edited:

fuck history unless you were actually there you have no idea what you are talking about

History paints a picture that western lawmen were the gamut of archetypes. Some were heroic, some were villains, and some were average.

The fact is history shows that there were far more heroic lawmen, than there were villains.

However, to the best of my ability to tell, there were none who vacilated. They made a decision and acted on it. If they waited, they died.

That too is supported by historical fact. What is also supported by historical fact is that the west was actually pretty peaceful compared to the big cities in the east.

The most violent town in the west, Bodie, was terribly dangerous if you were a bad guy. They killed each other with great glee, but they had the good sense to not attack the civilians.

In all the years that Bodie was active there were no rapes, robberies or burglaries of the interior of a residence. Fights aplenty in the saloons, but nowhere else.

A far different story from the crime ridden eastern cities.

Was the copy you watched actually in 3D? This film was shot with Warmers mulita-format camera producing both a 3D and Warner's wide screen version. Warner was a big believer in 3D. What they did not consider is the huge number of small theaters that didn't have a screen capability of handling Warner's 3D thus the true 3D version disappeared and never made it to the VCR formats. I understand Wayne's son had the original 3D restored an put on DVD, however I don't think it got released in the states.

I liked Hondo because it is one of the few Wayne movies that had a good plot that was not overly simplest. As you probably know if you read many of my posts, I am not a fan of John Wayne but I do enjoy many of his movies because they create a picture of the west that I would like to believe existed but know it didn't.

Did you notice that James Arness was in the movie. Don't remember what character he played. Just about the time Hondo was released, John Wayne was offered the roll of Matt Dillion in Gunsmoke. However, he was not interested in TV and certainly had no interest in leaving the big screen where he was very successfully. So he promoted his friend James Arness for the part. The producers agreed to give Arness a try by shooting a couple of episodes for review provided John Wayne did some promotions for the show. Arness was giving the part and Wayne did serveral TV promotions and introduced Arness in the first episode. Thus began the longest-running dramatic series in network television history with 635 episodes and 407 dead villains. Today Gunsmoke after nearly 60 years is still being rerun on US television.
Interesting stuff. We had Gunsmoke over here as well but it sort of past me by. I was a massive fan of High Chaperal and The Virginian. ALso remember Bonanza, Big Valley,Branded, Lancer and one which was obviously based on Starske and Hutch about 2 brothers looking for their sister who was captured by the "noble redmen.". cant remember what it was called. We only had 3 channels so if you got on one you could guarentee being a big star if you go on one.
Alias Smith and Jones made a big star of Ben Murphy and young girls used to buy posters of him not wearing a shirt. That was a great show. Pete Duel was a huge loss. Very sad.
Ive not seen the 3D Hondo but some of the scenes are so 3D its obvious. Spears thrown at the camera and so on.

History paints a picture that western lawmen were the gamut of archetypes. Some were heroic, some were villains, and some were average.

The fact is history shows that there were far more heroic lawmen, than there were villains.

However, to the best of my ability to tell, there were none who vacilated. They made a decision and acted on it. If they waited, they died.

That too is supported by historical fact. What is also supported by historical fact is that the west was actually pretty peaceful compared to the big cities in the east.

The most violent town in the west, Bodie, was terribly dangerous if you were a bad guy. They killed each other with great glee, but they had the good sense to not attack the civilians.

In all the years that Bodie was active there were no rapes, robberies or burglaries of the interior of a residence. Fights aplenty in the saloons, but nowhere else.

A far different story from the crime ridden eastern cities.
Good post. Some lawmen were certainly heroic and honest but I believe more vacillated between both sides of the law. Of course in many of the old west towns there was no law. A lawman was hired to keep the peace which had many different meanings. Often small towns would hire gunman with a checkered past only to find that they were better off without them.

Take for example Wyatt Earp, the good guy with a gun, an unswerving servant of law and order which is a complete myth. As a young man, Earp was arrested for horse theft and consorting with prostitutes. He was run out of a Texas town for trying to sell a rock painted yellow as a gold brick. He was drawn to police work not because of a devotion to the law but because, during the Gilded Age when public corruption was rampant, it was an easy source of cash. He went to court in 1896 for having refereed a fixed heavyweight championship prizefight, and as late as 1911, at age 63, he was arrested by the Los Angeles police for running a crooked card game.

In his lawman days, he was the often paid by saloon owners and whorehouses for special protection. And at times he even owned these establishments. Everywhere, he was a lawman, Dodge City, Deadwood, Tomestone, ect... he was a businessman buying and selling land, timber, gambling, running whores, and selling stories of his fearless escapades as a lawmen and almost always using the the power of the law to promote those interests.

The Earp myth originated not in Hollywood, but with Earp himself. Particularly following the 1896 scandal (which was the biggest sports gambling controversy until the fixed 1919 World Series) he became nationally renowned as the flim-flam man. Casting around for a way to remake his reputation, Earp stumbled upon Owen Wister’s popular 1901 Western novel, The Virginian, in which the hero participates in a gunfight and, reluctantly though necessarily, according to the author, in a vigilante hanging for horse theft. Earp seized on the interpretation. He became a fixture at Hollywood studios, befriended the early Western silent-film stars William S. Hart and Tom Mix, and dictated his Wister-inflected memoirs—with the arrest record expunged—several times over the last decades of his life. Like Jay Gatsby or Don Draper, Earp reinvented himself—and he used the newly created film industry as his tool.

Upholding the law was considered a profitable business for gunfighters and other low life's who took lawing as profession. Most of what we know about these famous lawmen of the old west such as Earp and Hickock came from dime novels that glorified their exploits

Later their lives became the subject of movies and even FBI praised. Actors such as John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Gene Autry, Henry Fonda, etc. all peddled the myth of the old west which is still alive today.

However, there have been movies that are more honest about the old west and how it was prostrated. Strangely, John Wayne's last movie The Shootist attempted to take a more of honest look at the old west. Some of the early silent movies such as Covered Wagon gave a pretty honest depiction of the old west as did Ride With the Devil in 1999 and Heartland in 1979.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. We had Gunsmoke over here as well but it sort of past me by. I was a massive fan of High Chaperal and The Virginian. ALso remember Bonanza, Big Valley,Branded, Lancer and one which was obviously based on Starske and Hutch about 2 brothers looking for their sister who was captured by the "noble redmen.". cant remember what it was called. We only had 3 channels so if you got on one you could guarentee being a big star if you go on one.
Alias Smith and Jones made a big star of Ben Murphy and young girls used to buy posters of him not wearing a shirt. That was a great show. Pete Duel was a huge loss. Very sad.
Ive not seen the 3D Hondo but some of the scenes are so 3D its obvious. Spears thrown at the camera and so on.
I've seen most of those series. I particular liked The Virginian. I like Gunsmoke because of stories it told, maybe not in first few seasons but beginning in 7th season when they went to a 1 hr format, they started presenting stories with real depth and often with a message. however after about 12 season they went to color and with it went most of better storylines becoming a typical TV western.

Forum List

Back