Riders in congressional legislation

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
In legislative procedure, a rider is an additional provision added to a bill or other measure under the consideration by a legislature, having little connection with the subject matter of the bill.

Why are so many would be bipartisan efforts poisoned by riders that the other side won't allow? It almost seems intentional sometimes. "Oh, here's a good idea. Let's tack a bunch of bullshit onto the bill so the other side definitely shoots it down."

Why?!

I think riders on bills are extremely detrimental to bipartisan cooperation and should be limited at least.

Last edited:
In legislative procedure, a rider is an additional provision added to a bill or other measure under the consideration by a legislature, having little connection with the subject matter of the bill.

Why are so many would be bipartisan efforts poisoned by riders that the other side won't allow? It almost seems intentional sometimes. "Oh, here's a good idea. Let's tack a bunch of bullshit onto the bill so the other side definitely shoots it down."

Why?!

I think riders on bills are extremely detrimental to bipartisan cooperation and should be limited at least.
It's used by both sides, sometimes to shoot down their own bill to use as election ammo later down the road.

It's used by both sides

I attempted to imply that.

sometimes to shoot down their own bill to use as election ammo later down the road.

Something about that smells like shit, no? Sometimes it makes me think it really is just a pony show for the simple people.
Politics is dirty and nasty, even if both sides are "holding hands" be rest assured they're looking for some way to stab each other in the back. The only part of The Prince they left out in our politics was assassination but even that is debatable by some........

Forum List

Back