Revolver style rifles?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Just watched a quick video that explained why the revolver technology wasn't used for rifles during the Civil War. The youtube guy pointed out that Cap and Ball revolvers used powder without cartridges and a cap to detonate the powder.....something like that anyway...you gun guys can explain it better than I can.....and the problem with revolvers is sometimes firing one cylinder would ignite the powder residue around the cylinder, setting off all the cylinders at ones, a "Chain Fire." In a pistol this would be survivable, but if your hand is out front on a rifle when this happened, you would shoot yourself in the hand and arm......

Once we had actual cartridges, why didn't they use them in rifles at the time instead of lever actions?

Just wondering.

Just watched a quick video that explained why the revolver technology wasn't used for rifles during the Civil War. The youtube guy pointed out that Cap and Ball revolvers used powder without cartridges and a cap to detonate the powder.....something like that anyway...you gun guys can explain it better than I can.....and the problem with revolvers is sometimes firing one cylinder would ignite the powder residue around the cylinder, setting off all the cylinders at ones, a "Chain Fire." In a pistol this would be survivable, but if your hand is out front on a rifle when this happened, you would shoot yourself in the hand and arm......

Once we had actual cartridges, why didn't they use them in rifles at the time instead of lever actions?

Just wondering.
Assuming the revolver held no more than the standard 6 shots, Winchester repeaters beat them by holding anywhere from 7-14 cartridges. I’m guessing fewer reloads as the reason.

Shoot one of the "Judge" type rifles and you will understand. With revolvers you have to depend on perfect cylinder timing and you will still get gas escaping.

OIP.iMjzvum7ArfQyX5SgBNuPAHaFj

The only way I think it would be somewhat practical would be if one was based on a 1895 Nagant revolver/cartridge where cocking the hammer moves the cylinder forward and seals the mouth of it's special cartridge in the barrel to prevent gas escaping. I suspect it would have to be a pretty low-powered cartridge though.

Capacity aside, the mechanisms of the lever guns are much better protected from dirt and mud intrusion than recovers are. Then comes the issue of ease of production. Revolvers need to be finely tuned from the factory in order to function. Lever guns are far more “simple” and easier to produce.

Capacity aside, the mechanisms of the lever guns are much better protected from dirt and mud intrusion than recovers are. Then comes the issue of ease of production. Revolvers need to be finely tuned from the factory in order to function. Lever guns are far more “simple” and easier to produce.
I assume the lever mechanism is also a lot lighter than a revolving metal cylinder.

Union troops used significant numbers of Colt Revolving Rifles. In fact, Berdan's sharpshooters nearly mutinied because they were issued revolving rifles in lieu of the Sharps target rifles they were promised upon enlistment.

Forum List

Back