Reverse Stupidity

Not a strawmen, you said it yourself.

Should I quote you? Let's do that...

Unfortunately, I know a little about this. My oldest is living in Xian. If he wasn't married to a Chinese woman, and if he didn't speak (fairly) fluent Chinese, he'd be screwed. He gets challenged for IDs everywhere he goes. And many businesses have begun refusing service to foreigners. He's considering coming home, but then my daughter-in-law would risk facing the same kind of stupidity here.

Blue text, you're describing institutional racism towards your son in China.

Nope. I'm describing plain ole bigotry and discrimination by businesses and people. Nothing "institutional" about it. Just racism and xenophobia.

I don't get you. It's like you mostly agree with me - but you know I don't like Trump so you feel honor bound to fight with me. Hehe.... whatever.

You're trying to pull yourself from shit you got into, but you can't.

You said your son is asked for ID everywhere he goes. Who's asking him for ID? Police perhaps?

If so, that would be institutional thing. Because, people have no reason to ask him for ID.

Unfortunately, I know a little about this. My oldest is living in Xian. If he wasn't married to a Chinese woman, and if he didn't speak (fairly) fluent Chinese, he'd be screwed. He gets challenged for IDs everywhere he goes. And many businesses have begun refusing service to foreigners. He's considering coming home, but then my daughter-in-law would risk facing the same kind of stupidity here.

Nope. I'm describing plain ole bigotry and discrimination by businesses and people. Nothing "institutional" about it. Just racism and xenophobia.

I don't get you. It's like you mostly agree with me - but you know I don't like Trump so you feel honor bound to fight with me. Hehe.... whatever.

You said your son is asked for ID everywhere he goes. Who's asking him for ID? Police perhaps?

LOL - No, actually. I asked him that exact question, but it's not coming from official channels. The CCP seems to have no interest in going after foreigners directly - they aren't passing laws targeting them. They just want to scapegoat them when new outbreaks occur.

Listen, it seems really important for you to "win" or something. Can we just say that you "win" and move on to the part where we actually discuss the topic?

By now most have probably heard of the unfortunate and idiotic accusations, abuse, and even assault of Chinese and Chinese Americans by some dopey douche bags that have taken place in the past several weeks in the US. Well, not to be outdone, the CCP, in a typical clumsy attempt at saving face in light of the fact that the virus originated there, has been encouraging their oppressed and uninformed populace to look with suspicion at the foreign population living and working there. This is resulting in increasing instances of discrimination there.

It just goes to show that people everywhere are fucking stupid, and governments are not to be trusted.

I couldn't get past the first 3 pages. Jesus the shit you had to put up with.

It's partly tribalism and scapegoating fears. I mean some people think the virus isn't a big deal, it's just a flu. On the other hand many of the same people think this is a deliberate attack on our(?) country and China has to pay. None of it makes sense and so why not hold people who have nothing to do with this but just "look" guilty.

The CCP is doing it to save face. They know they haven't contained covid in China and it is still spreading. They're going "back to normal" now, and they know it will spawn more outbreaks. They're promoting the idea that foreigners are the source of any new outbreaks to give themselves cover when it does.

They're not doing it to save face, since they've already lost it, but to remain in power.

You're really misunderstanding.

While I think that causing anyone unnecessary harm is bad I do not feel that calling out China on its hiding of information on the virus is wrong.
But we could also look back at world war 2 and the way Japanese were rounded up and placed in interment camps. Their property sold off at pennies on the dollar or given away.
When people are scared by the media 24/7 it is not to be unexpected that some will lash out.
What happened during WWII wasn't "the people," it was the scumbag fdr who threw innocent Americans into his concentration camps. Regardless, that really has nothing to do with this topic.

What we're talking about here is Chinese Americans (any Asian Americans, really) being assaulted here, and the corrupt, obvious CCP encouraging similar attitudes there.
I know you don't really understand the constitution nor history. But if it had only been FDR it would never have been done.
We are talking about the same hysteria. They are very similar in the fact you are talking humans and human nature

Well, FDR signed it, and he didn't have to.
No but we had people that were upset, scared, mad you name the emotion. He could have tried not to but you have to realize there were probably all kinds of congress people and other heads of government agencies talking about sedition, spies etc.

Look at people that were complaining that Trump had too much power. Now you see those same ones complaining that he did not act with an iron fist and close the borders. That he is not forcing every company to make ventilators and ppe. That he is not stopping all movement in cities, states. In that you see some of the things that were being pushed on FDR.

People tend to act irrationally when they are mad, fearful or any human emotion.

As you know, we have that "thing" called the Constitution that protect minorities from tyranny of majority, and what fascist wannabe FDR did (among many other things) was unconstitutional.
I agree, but we also have to houses of congress that have oversight. We also have a population that is supposed to be over sight of all. So to think that FDR did it without anyones approval is not understanding of the U.S. or people.

He signed executive order first, without anyone's approval. He wanted it, he signed it, than asked for approval and funding that he get from Democrat ruled Senate and House thru Public Law 503.

The problem with that law was that Republicans had no muscle to fight it, and anyone who would vote against it would be labeled by Democrats as traitor. Who could have guess that would happen? Second, there were two Republicans who fought it despite of threats, Governor Ralph Carr of Colorado and Senator Robert Taft of Ohio. Oh, and FBI director Hoover was against it, because there was no proof for Japanese American disloyalty.

Tell me something, if FDR could do it to Japanese Americans, why he hasn't done it to Italian Americans, or German Americans, with the same premise of national security, and loyalty? The only difference was that Japanese Americans look different, and that would be pure racism. Of course, coming from a party that was always racist... the left, Democrats.
I think you missed the fact that Germans and Italians were included. German and Italian organizations were also watched closely.
While I have no love for the democrats since the last true democrat died with JFK I think you are attempting to put way too much political spin on things.
As you stated if he or anyone would have refused they would have been labeled as treasonous. But by who? The general populace.

There were significantly fewer Italian and German detainees. The camps weren't officially characterized as "Japanese" camps, they just held almost exclusively Japanese Americans, and very few of other ethnicities. This is primarily because of civilian racism spawned by military suspicions that Japan was gearing up to attack the West Coast. In fact, really only Japanese residents on the West Coast were detained and relocated. The number of Italian Americans and German Americans in internment camps was about 11,000 and unlike Japanese Americans and Aleuts, they did not get reparations, although they did sue for it.
So you are in agreement that not only was it just Japanese there were others. So you are in agreement that anyone that did not agree with the internment would have been labeled as seditionist, treasonist, or worse.
So you are agreeing that congress and the American population obviously agreed with the camps.
So in essence you are agreeing with exactly what I have said.
Thank you.

Have I sad that?

Only thing I commented on was that there were Italian and German Americans interned, but in much smaller numbers.

FDR signed EO 9066. Majority of Congress agreed with it, and sure... majority of the people are pissed well before WWII started because Japan occupation of Indochina, and especially after Pearl Harbor. But even if there were military arguments for assessing the loyalty of American citizens, nothing can have justified incarcerating 120,000 people, including infants, the elderly and the mentally ill. Simply not justifiable, and not constitutional, weather majority agree with it or not.

In my mind, the unjustifiable aspect of establishing internment camps was that people... citizens at that... were rounded up solely on the basis of their ancestry. It’s not unreasonable to suspect that some people might hold loyalties to their former homeland, and that certainly justifies surveillance. That’s a far different thing than simply assuming that everyone of Japanese ancestry was a suspect. Japanese American soldiers in the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, is the most decorated unit in U.S military history, which was awarded more than 18,000 medals in less than two years, despite having a fighting complement of only 4,000. Those who defend internment camps today would put them in those camp, certainly.

Think where the most justification for internment came from? Just as today, media are those who creates public opinion, decides who's innocent or guilty in court of law, or should president be impeached and removed from office.

Here is the article from LA Times, February 2, 1942:

Perhaps the most difficult and delicate question that confronts our powers that be is the handling — the safe and proper treatment — of our American-born Japanese, our Japanese-Americans, citizens by the accident of birth, but who are Japanese nevertheless.

A viper is nonetheless a viper wherever the egg is hatched. A leopard’s spots are the same and its disposition is the same wherever it is whelped.

So a Japanese-American, born of Japanese parents, nurtured upon Japanese traditions, living in a transplanted Japanese atmosphere and thoroughly inoculated with Japanese thoughts, Japanese ideas and Japanese ideals, notwithstanding his nominal brand of accidental citizenship, almost inevitably and with the rarest of exceptions grows up to be a Japanese, not an American, in his thoughts, in his ideas and in his ideals, and himself is a potential and menacing, if not an actual, danger to our country unless properly supervised, controlled and, as it were, hamstrung.

Thus, while it might cause an injustice to a few to treat them all as potential enemies and to so limit and control their activities as to prevent the possibility of their becoming actually such, I cannot escape the conclusion and I am by no means speaking idly or without a reasonable amount of knowledge on the subject — I cannot escape the conclusion that such treatment, as a matter of national and even personal defense, should be accorded to each and all of them while we are at war with their race.

Here is another one, from Hearst syndicated columnist:

I am for immediate removal of every Japanese on the West Coast to a point deep in the interior. I don’t mean a nice part of the interior either. Herd ‘em up, pack ‘em off and give ‘em the inside room in the badlands. Let ‘em be pinched, hurt, hungry and dead up against it . . . Personally, I hate the Japanese. And that goes for all of them.

Damn shame.
I did not say it was constitutional. But trying to blame one person for for it is completely insane.

By now most have probably heard of the unfortunate and idiotic accusations, abuse, and even assault of Chinese and Chinese Americans by some dopey douche bags that have taken place in the past several weeks in the US. Well, not to be outdone, the CCP, in a typical clumsy attempt at saving face in light of the fact that the virus originated there, has been encouraging their oppressed and uninformed populace to look with suspicion at the foreign population living and working there. This is resulting in increasing instances of discrimination there.

It just goes to show that people everywhere are fucking stupid, and governments are not to be trusted.

Yeah. Unfortunately, I know all about this. My oldest is living in Xian. If he wasn't married to a Chinese woman, and if he didn't speak (fairly) fluent Chinese, he'd be screwed. He gets challenged for IDs everywhere he goes. And many businesses have begun refusing service to foreigners. He's considering coming home, but then my daughter-in-law would risk facing the same kind of stupidity here.

Here is someone who knows what he’s talking about. ^^^^^
He did up until he said his chinese daughter in law would face the same stupidity here

which is nonsense

I said she'd risk that. And it is a risk. Are you saying there are no racists in the US? That there's no chance they'd discriminate against Chinese people?

Can I add this to my "excuses and denials" thread?
there are very few that she would have to fear

but here she will have more freedom than in china

and no fear of the communist dictatorship she escaped except for what could happen to her family who are still there

Sure. She loves the USA, and is eager to return. The fate of her family is, in fact, part of her concern. But she's also nervous about what frightened Trump nitwits might be capable of. So am I.

"Trump nitwits"

Oh, there is the problem... You should advise you daughter in law to stay where she is, because it seems the biggest danger to her is you.

Says a Trump nitwit.

How's that TDS treating you? No vaccine yet?

"TDS" is an excuse for miscreants, such as yourself, to dismiss valid criticism and assuage your guilty conscience. But if it helps you avoid accountability, if it makes it possible to sleep at night, guess it's worth clinging to.
if there were valid criticism, no one would say shit. but 90% negative coverage pushes that idea over the cliff. never gonna happen until you take what is said as fact. hmmmmmmm no more fake news. K?

LOL - No, actually. I asked him that exact question, but it's not coming from official channels. The CCP seems to have no interest in going after foreigners directly - they aren't passing laws targeting them. They just want to scapegoat them when new outbreaks occur.

Listen, it seems really important for you to "win" or something. Can we just say that you "win" and move on to the part where we actually discuss the topic?

Your words buddy, he's getting ID'd because he's looking like foreigner.

Who else, but officials, could be asking for ID, to that level that he feels challenged, or threatened to point that his wife don't want to come to US because she feers to experience the same thing here?

So, either you're full of shit, or lying, because those kind of things are not happening in US.

Your word buddy, he's getting ID'd because he's looking like foreigner.

Who else, but officials, could be asking for ID, to that level that he feels challenged, or threatened to point that his wife don't want to come to US because she feers to experience the same thing here?

So, either you're full of shit, or lying, because those kind of things are not happening in US.

You win. You're totally right. Sorry I got it all wrong.

So which is it? Are you dull of shit, or just lying?

Your words buddy, he's getting ID'd because he's looking like foreigner.

maybe he shouldn't try buying so much liquor and cigarettes.

So which is it? Are you dull of shit, or just lying?

Both man. You caught me!

Stupidity unlike shit flows both uphill and down

In your time in China, did you find the people there to be racist in general? My son tells me it's much worse than here. There's apparently even a major bias against darker skinned natives within China. I know when I was over there a couple of years ago, they had no qualms staring at the "foreigner" (me).

In your time in China, did you find the people there to be racist in general? My son tells me it's much worse than here. There's apparently even a major bias against darker skinned natives within China. I know when I was over there a couple of years ago, they had no qualms staring at the "foreigner" (me).
Not maliciously. Ignorance, curiosity, lack of familiarity, but rarely with malice. In my very extensive experience, people from just about everywhere are more racist than the average American. I lived in China a very long time ago, so seeing a foreigner was very very unusual for most people back then. However, what I was most struck with was the hospitality and generosity of the vast majority of people with whom I came into contact. I have always felt that Chinese and American people are quite similar in character.

Not maliciously. Ignorance, curiosity, lack of familiarity, but rarely with malice. In my very extensive experience, people from just about everywhere are more racist than the average American. I lived in China a very long time ago, so seeing a foreigner was very very unusual for most people back then. However, what I was most struck with was the hospitality and generosity of the vast majority of people with whom I came into contact. I have always felt that Chinese and American people are quite similar in character.

I was treated wonderfully by my in-laws. The staring I mentioned was mostly in Harbin (Daqing) which is far less cosmopolitan than larger cities. I was probably the first westerner many of them had seen. No one really cared in Beijing.

The dark skinned bias is more cultural than racial, as dark-skinned folks are generally rural and work outside - and are thought of as "rednecks" or whatever.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz

This wouldn't surprise me but I would be a little skeptical of Taiwannews.com as it appears they have fabricated stories about COVID-19 in the past. They have a grudge against China, who doesn't? But that's not an excuse for making up the news.

Forum List

Back