Rethinking Monogamy Today- Why Not Be More Open?

Nowadays to my knowledge only Islamic countries have polygamy. No other countries has this kind of love and marriage.
I think it would not be simple making laws about polygamy in non Muslim countries.
It seems many people don't want it :dunno:
There are still a few Mormon sects who do. It is "illegal" in this country, but polygamy is practiced within their religion and the government doesn't go out of its way to stop it. I don't see the harm in polygamy, although I wouldn't be comfortable with it for myself.
I'm not THAT good at sharing.
Oh really? I didn't know Mormons practiced polygamy.... :eek:
After reading your post OldLady I've found out something about polygamy and Mormons on the web :)

Nowadays to my knowledge only Islamic countries have polygamy. No other countries has this kind of love and marriage.
I think it would not be simple making laws about polygamy in non Muslim countries.
There are still a few Mormon sects who do. It is "illegal" in this country, but polygamy is practiced within their religion and the government doesn't go out of its way to stop it. I don't see the harm in polygamy, although I wouldn't be comfortable with it for myself.
After reading your post OldLady I've found out something about polygamy and Mormons on the web :)
Google "Colorado city Arizona".

TheProgressivePatriot is talking about swinging and swapping not polygamy.

He and his wife can't even be faithful to each other let alone to a whole gaggle of spouses.

With a few notable exceptions, you can count on the fact that monogamy is a woman's perspective.
You can count on the fact that it was patriarchs who insisted on it. The woman must be a virgin at marriage; you must not steal another man's "property," (wife). They made up those rules (Moses was not a woman; neither was Jesus. Just so you know)
Disease control.

This is why you should never get married... Also I thought you were gay and did not realize you were married to the opposite sex?

Now if your significant other is open to a open relationship then by all means, and who am I to judge?

As for me, well again reason why I do not do marriage because of the cheating gene and it is better to be single...
It's not about marriage. It's about committed relationships a the boundaries and rules that couples set in those relationships, which do not have to always be "traditional" You can have it all if you can get your head around that.

Me gay and don't realize that I was married to the opposite sex? WTF? Where did that come from? This has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

From your op you stated your wife and I am to believe you meant a female, or am I incorrect?

Also from all your threads about gay marriage and rights I just figured you were gay, so excuse the fuck out of me for getting that impression from your other threads.

Also open relationships is your business and your personal life and for me if you are married then you took a vow to be faithful to your spouse no matter if they grant you permission to commit adultery. So it is better to stay single if you prefer to have multiple partners, but that is my mere opinion.
You can believe whatever you want. It is beyond idiotic to make an assumption about someone's sexuality based on their political position on gay right and gay men don't refer to a male partner as "wife"

People often write their own marriage vows and set their own rules and parameters regarding sexuality and many other things. Being "faithful" can mean different things to different people.

From your comment on it being better to stay single, it's apparent that you did not read the linked article in the OP, and if you did read it, you did not understand much. This is just another case of someone spouting off on something that they little understanding of, just to make a splash.
So are you TheProgressivePatriot also coming out of the closet about being bi too then ??

Google "Colorado city Arizona".
Thanks for the advice yiostheoy. I've met the Darger family (a polygamist family) :D
abc_polygamy_family_jef_111115_wmain.jpg

With a few notable exceptions, you can count on the fact that monogamy is a woman's perspective.
You can count on the fact that it was patriarchs who insisted on it. The woman must be a virgin at marriage; you must not steal another man's "property," (wife). They made up those rules (Moses was not a woman; neither was Jesus. Just so you know)
Disease control.
Most likely. A lot of the dietary restrictions were for that reason, as well, probably.

Having grown weary of the plethora of Trump, bathroom bills and immigration related threads, I thought that I would try something entirely new. The topic is consensual non monogamy. My wife and I were, for many years "into it" Now, for various reasons we are "retired" from the lifestyle, but open to possibilities if the right opportunity presented itself. In recent years it has not. It did work for us, for the most part, and notwithstanding a few "rocky episodes" we mostly have fond memories of our exploits. Sometimes we just look at each other and laugh about "the shit we did "
Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what kind of interest and reaction I get to this topic. Please read the whole article and comment thoughtfully and honestly. Feel free to share your experiences, if any, with any form of non monogamy while in a committed relationship.

Rethinking monogamy today - CNN.com

Selected excerpts
CNN)Could opening your relationship to others benefit you and your partner?
For many couples, monogamy -- staying sexually exclusive with one partner -- is expected and assumed. It's even included in many marriage vows. But as some people are increasingly realizing, monogamy isn't for everyone.

As a couples sex therapist, I've found that some may feel committed to each other yet still feel they have fundamental differences in sexual interests or desires. In the past, many of these couples might have chosen to break up, cheat or just "settle."

But these days, some are finding they want to challenge their notions about sexual exclusivity.
non-monogamy right for you?

So how do you know whether trying consensual non-monogamy -- which includes polyamory, the ability to have sexual and emotional relationships with others -- is worth exploring? First, it helps to understand how you and your partner define sexual openness, as well as sexual exclusivity.
"There are as many different types of non-monogamous relationships as there are people in them," Vrangalova said.

For some couples, non-exclusivity might take the form of attending "play parties" together and swapping partners, watching other couples have sex, dating other people or even entering into polyamorous relationships with multiple partners.

Consensual non-monogamy can add spark and fulfillment to a healthy relationship. "It can actually remove the fear inherent in some monogamous relationships related to the potential for abandonment -- for example, if their partner were to meet someone else," explained Pitagora.

"For other people, there can be a deep sense of relief in not having to be the sole source of sexual satisfaction, and this can lead to greater opportunities for intimacy and bonding," she said.
You'll want to consider issues such as jealousy, honesty and safe sex practices, just to name a few. It's also worth remembering that non-monogamy still carries a stigma in many circles, so think about how you and your partner will address that concern.
The actual language of Moses' 7th Commandment when translated literally out of Hebrew is "thou shalt not do swapping".
Seriously??
Yes, seriously, heathen.
When you find yourself in a group, that has coined a term for all humans not members of that group... You're in a cult.
:confused-84::confused-84::confused-84:

Disease control.
Most likely. A lot of the dietary restrictions were for that reason, as well, probably.
Nope.

Moses' mom did not have any good pork recipes.

Having grown weary of the plethora of Trump, bathroom bills and immigration related threads, I thought that I would try something entirely new. The topic is consensual non monogamy. My wife and I were, for many years "into it" Now, for various reasons we are "retired" from the lifestyle, but open to possibilities if the right opportunity presented itself. In recent years it has not. It did work for us, for the most part, and notwithstanding a few "rocky episodes" we mostly have fond memories of our exploits. Sometimes we just look at each other and laugh about "the shit we did "
Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what kind of interest and reaction I get to this topic. Please read the whole article and comment thoughtfully and honestly. Feel free to share your experiences, if any, with any form of non monogamy while in a committed relationship.

Selected excerpts
For many couples, monogamy -- staying sexually exclusive with one partner -- is expected and assumed. It's even included in many marriage vows. But as some people are increasingly realizing, monogamy isn't for everyone.

As a couples sex therapist, I've found that some may feel committed to each other yet still feel they have fundamental differences in sexual interests or desires. In the past, many of these couples might have chosen to break up, cheat or just "settle."

But these days, some are finding they want to challenge their notions about sexual exclusivity.

So how do you know whether trying consensual non-monogamy -- which includes polyamory, the ability to have sexual and emotional relationships with others -- is worth exploring? First, it helps to understand how you and your partner define sexual openness, as well as sexual exclusivity.
"There are as many different types of non-monogamous relationships as there are people in them," Vrangalova said.

For some couples, non-exclusivity might take the form of attending "play parties" together and swapping partners, watching other couples have sex, dating other people or even entering into polyamorous relationships with multiple partners.

Consensual non-monogamy can add spark and fulfillment to a healthy relationship. "It can actually remove the fear inherent in some monogamous relationships related to the potential for abandonment -- for example, if their partner were to meet someone else," explained Pitagora.

"For other people, there can be a deep sense of relief in not having to be the sole source of sexual satisfaction, and this can lead to greater opportunities for intimacy and bonding," she said.
You'll want to consider issues such as jealousy, honesty and safe sex practices, just to name a few. It's also worth remembering that non-monogamy still carries a stigma in many circles, so think about how you and your partner will address that concern.

I am in a poly relationship. I love my girl very much, but that does not mean I cannot, or do not, love others as well. What we do is not swinging. It is not all about sex. It is about dating and relationships. It is also about complete honesty.

Aside from the obvious benefits of having dates and (often) more sex, poly eliminates the crazy jealousy that can sour or ruin a relationship. I have been accused of cheating numerous times. I never cheated on anyone, but the accusations were toxic. This is completely eliminated in polyamory. I am allowed to date and have sex with other women, so cheating doesn't exist (except for the possibility of breaking any ground rules we set).

It is not for everyone. But I am happier now than I have been in decades. For us it works great.
Finally someone who contributes something meaningful to the topic. Thank you for sharing. But watch out, Blaylock is gonna get you!

What the hell did you expect, you got what you wanted, attention.

Now you can get all offended when someone with a different view than yours, classic victim BS!

You don't want dialogue, you want agreement.
I'm offended? Really? I didn't know that. You have a bad habit of deciding what I'm thinking and feeling and claiming that you actually know. Telling Blaylock that I think he's an idiot doesn't mean that I'm offended. I reserve the right to respond to anyone who will judge me, or ridicule me, and I do it very calmly and objectively.

He and his wife can't even be faithful to each other let alone to a whole gaggle of spouses.
Who the hell are you to decide that we are not faithful to each other. We have the right to decide and determine what being faithful is. We are faithful because we do not cheat, we do not lie to each other, we are always there for each other, we play by the rules that we agreed to. We are 70 posts into this thread and you have not learned a fucking thing about the topic.

Polygamy has nothing to do with this topic.
You'll have to excuse all of us who jumped to that conclusion, since you brought it up by using monogamy in your title.

Who the hell are you to decide that we are not faithful to each other. We have the right to decide and determine what being faithful is. We are faithful because we do not cheat, we do not lie to each other, we are always there for each other, we play by the rules that we agreed to. We are 70 posts into this thread and you have not learned a fucking thing about the topic.
Robert's your uncle,

Fanny's your aunt,

As Johnny Depp would say,

In Pirates Of The Caribbean,

"There you have it!"

Selected excerpts

I am in a poly relationship. I love my girl very much, but that does not mean I cannot, or do not, love others as well. What we do is not swinging. It is not all about sex. It is about dating and relationships. It is also about complete honesty.

Aside from the obvious benefits of having dates and (often) more sex, poly eliminates the crazy jealousy that can sour or ruin a relationship. I have been accused of cheating numerous times. I never cheated on anyone, but the accusations were toxic. This is completely eliminated in polyamory. I am allowed to date and have sex with other women, so cheating doesn't exist (except for the possibility of breaking any ground rules we set).

It is not for everyone. But I am happier now than I have been in decades. For us it works great.
Finally someone who contributes something meaningful to the topic. Thank you for sharing. But watch out, Blaylock is gonna get you!

What the hell did you expect, you got what you wanted, attention.

Now you can get all offended when someone with a different view than yours, classic victim BS!

You don't want dialogue, you want agreement.
I'm offended? Really? I didn't know that. You have a bad habit of deciding what I'm thinking and feeling and claiming that you actually know. Telling Blaylock that I think he's an idiot doesn't mean that I'm offended. I reserve the right to respond to anyone who will judge me, or ridicule me, and I do it very calmly and objectively.

I don't care about Blaylock, not sure why you keep bringing him up. I don't follow Blaylock, I was responding after Winterborn's comments not Blaylock's. You think it is a bad habit? Who are you to judge? If ignorance is bliss, you are one happy moron.

Disease control.

When the monogamy laws and rules were written, the idea that diseases were caused by germs was centuries away. OldLady is correct.

Polygamy has nothing to do with this topic.
You'll have to excuse all of us who jumped to that conclusion, since you brought it up by using monogamy in your title.
Polygamy is not the opposite of monogamy. It is just one of a number of ways of being non-monogamous

Forum List

Back