Rethinking Monogamy Today- Why Not Be More Open?

Having grown weary of the plethora of Trump, bathroom bills and immigration related threads, I thought that I would try something entirely new. The topic is consensual non monogamy. My wife and I were, for many years "into it" Now, for various reasons we are "retired" from the lifestyle, but open to possibilities if the right opportunity presented itself. In recent years it has not. It did work for us, for the most part, and notwithstanding a few "rocky episodes" we mostly have fond memories of our exploits. Sometimes we just look at each other and laugh about "the shit we did "
Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what kind of interest and reaction I get to this topic. Please read the whole article and comment thoughtfully and honestly. Feel free to share your experiences, if any, with any form of non monogamy while in a committed relationship.

Rethinking monogamy today - CNN.com

Selected excerpts
CNN)Could opening your relationship to others benefit you and your partner?
For many couples, monogamy -- staying sexually exclusive with one partner -- is expected and assumed. It's even included in many marriage vows. But as some people are increasingly realizing, monogamy isn't for everyone.

As a couples sex therapist, I've found that some may feel committed to each other yet still feel they have fundamental differences in sexual interests or desires. In the past, many of these couples might have chosen to break up, cheat or just "settle."

But these days, some are finding they want to challenge their notions about sexual exclusivity.
non-monogamy right for you?

So how do you know whether trying consensual non-monogamy -- which includes polyamory, the ability to have sexual and emotional relationships with others -- is worth exploring? First, it helps to understand how you and your partner define sexual openness, as well as sexual exclusivity.
"There are as many different types of non-monogamous relationships as there are people in them," Vrangalova said.

For some couples, non-exclusivity might take the form of attending "play parties" together and swapping partners, watching other couples have sex, dating other people or even entering into polyamorous relationships with multiple partners.

Consensual non-monogamy can add spark and fulfillment to a healthy relationship. "It can actually remove the fear inherent in some monogamous relationships related to the potential for abandonment -- for example, if their partner were to meet someone else," explained Pitagora.

"For other people, there can be a deep sense of relief in not having to be the sole source of sexual satisfaction, and this can lead to greater opportunities for intimacy and bonding," she said.
You'll want to consider issues such as jealousy, honesty and safe sex practices, just to name a few. It's also worth remembering that non-monogamy still carries a stigma in many circles, so think about how you and your partner will address that concern.

What adults do in their private lives is their business. So long as it's consensual it should be no ones concern but their own.

With a few notable exceptions, you can count on the fact that monogamy is a woman's perspective.

Having grown weary of the plethora of Trump, bathroom bills and immigration related threads, I thought that I would try something entirely new. The topic is consensual non monogamy. My wife and I were, for many years "into it" Now, for various reasons we are "retired" from the lifestyle, but open to possibilities if the right opportunity presented itself. In recent years it has not. It did work for us, for the most part, and notwithstanding a few "rocky episodes" we mostly have fond memories of our exploits. Sometimes we just look at each other and laugh about "the shit we did "
Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what kind of interest and reaction I get to this topic. Please read the whole article and comment thoughtfully and honestly. Feel free to share your experiences, if any, with any form of non monogamy while in a committed relationship.

Selected excerpts
For many couples, monogamy -- staying sexually exclusive with one partner -- is expected and assumed. It's even included in many marriage vows. But as some people are increasingly realizing, monogamy isn't for everyone.

As a couples sex therapist, I've found that some may feel committed to each other yet still feel they have fundamental differences in sexual interests or desires. In the past, many of these couples might have chosen to break up, cheat or just "settle."

But these days, some are finding they want to challenge their notions about sexual exclusivity.

So how do you know whether trying consensual non-monogamy -- which includes polyamory, the ability to have sexual and emotional relationships with others -- is worth exploring? First, it helps to understand how you and your partner define sexual openness, as well as sexual exclusivity.
"There are as many different types of non-monogamous relationships as there are people in them," Vrangalova said.

For some couples, non-exclusivity might take the form of attending "play parties" together and swapping partners, watching other couples have sex, dating other people or even entering into polyamorous relationships with multiple partners.

Consensual non-monogamy can add spark and fulfillment to a healthy relationship. "It can actually remove the fear inherent in some monogamous relationships related to the potential for abandonment -- for example, if their partner were to meet someone else," explained Pitagora.

"For other people, there can be a deep sense of relief in not having to be the sole source of sexual satisfaction, and this can lead to greater opportunities for intimacy and bonding," she said.
You'll want to consider issues such as jealousy, honesty and safe sex practices, just to name a few. It's also worth remembering that non-monogamy still carries a stigma in many circles, so think about how you and your partner will address that concern.
I don't mind if women are honest with me; I prefer they simply tell me when it is my turn.

I guess it shoulder no surprise, that TheRegressivePervert, who defends all other manners of insane and perverse sexual immorality and madness, openly and shamelessly admits to having committed adultery many times.

But then, it is no secret that it is the goal of immoral filth such as him to attack and undermine marriage and family.

I guess it shoulder no surprise, that TheRegressivePervert, who defends all other manners of insane and perverse sexual immorality and madness, openly and shamelessly admits to having committed adultery many times.

But then, it is no secret that it is the goal of immoral filth such as him to attack and undermine marriage and family.
Bob Blaylock, who sits at the right hand of God. The infallible and supreme and all wise arbiter of all things moral, sexual and human. God bless you!

I don't see him posting anything that is an attack on marriage or family. He is discussing what consenting adults WANT in their relationship.

Selected excerpts

I don't mind if women are honest with me; I prefer they simply tell me when it is my turn.

Your turn? What the hell does that mean?

Selected excerpts

I am in a poly relationship. I love my girl very much, but that does not mean I cannot, or do not, love others as well. What we do is not swinging. It is not all about sex. It is about dating and relationships. It is also about complete honesty.

Aside from the obvious benefits of having dates and (often) more sex, poly eliminates the crazy jealousy that can sour or ruin a relationship. I have been accused of cheating numerous times. I never cheated on anyone, but the accusations were toxic. This is completely eliminated in polyamory. I am allowed to date and have sex with other women, so cheating doesn't exist (except for the possibility of breaking any ground rules we set).

It is not for everyone. But I am happier now than I have been in decades. For us it works great.

Selected excerpts

I am in a poly relationship. I love my girl very much, but that does not mean I cannot, or do not, love others as well. What we do is not swinging. It is not all about sex. It is about dating and relationships. It is also about complete honesty.

Aside from the obvious benefits of having dates and (often) more sex, poly eliminates the crazy jealousy that can sour or ruin a relationship. I have been accused of cheating numerous times. I never cheated on anyone, but the accusations were toxic. This is completely eliminated in polyamory. I am allowed to date and have sex with other women, so cheating doesn't exist (except for the possibility of breaking any ground rules we set).

It is not for everyone. But I am happier now than I have been in decades. For us it works great.
Finally someone who contributes something meaningful to the topic. Thank you for sharing. But watch out, Blaylock is gonna get you!

With polygamy, every woman can marry a nice guy.

Selected excerpts

Finally someone who contributes something meaningful to the topic. Thank you for sharing. But watch out, Blaylock is gonna get you!

Blaylock doesn't worry me.

And every kid can stamp his feet and demand his turn.

With more than one wife, there should be more, "capacity".

You are confusing polyamory and polygamy. In either case, you still have to date, entertain and seduce the woman. It is not automatic sex. And no one just gets a "turn". Whatever your repeated comments about "your turn" means. I have asked you to clarify, but you steadfastly refuse.

One reason I can think of is thanks to the loose morals of so many disease is rampant in today's society. I would want to know I'm with a disease free partner. If she bored me or I her then it's time to part company and not live the pretense of a marriage.

You are confusing polyamory and polygamy. In either case, you still have to date, entertain and seduce the woman. It is not automatic sex. And no one just gets a "turn". Whatever your repeated comments about "your turn" means. I have asked you to clarify, but you steadfastly refuse.
just the silly games silly chics play when they only have silly trics.

One reason I can think of is thanks to the loose morals of so many disease is rampant in today's society. I would want to know I'm with a disease free partner. If she bored me or I her then it's time to part company and not live the pretense of a marriage.
The poly community is one of the most adamant about safe sex of any bunch I have known. It is a basic rule for everyone I have ever known who practices polyamory. I have unprotected sex with only one person. Anyone else is shit outta luck if they want unprotected sex.

The problem is not multiple partners or whatever. It is carelessness and the idea that it couldn't happen to you.

just the silly games silly chics play when they only have silly trics.

What? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Forum List

Back