Restaurants Paying $2.13 Per Hour Isn't A Living Wage

Nobody tips at fast food restaurants.
Which is why people who work in fast food or even counter service like a donut place get paid in accordance to regular MW law not the service wage laws that waiters and bartenders get

A young guy i know works in the food industry and tends bar , waits tables and acts as a shift manager occasionally.

He makes more per hour bartending and waiting tables than he does when acting as a manager. A lot more.

There is a lot of these stories floating around, but the aggregate data suggest they are the exception not the norm.

I do not think the idea is for wait staff to make a higher wage and for people to keep tipping. The idea would be for wages to replace tipping like in much of the world.
it's true the higher wage would likely lead to less tips anyway....the waiter has less of an incentative to serve the best they can....

I would be curious to see a poll of bartenders and wait staff and see if they'd rather have a hour wage or tips. I would venture to say the least experienced would want a higher hourly rate, but the more experienced would want tips.

Why dont you ask a waiter if they'd rather make $15/hour, or $2.13 and the ablitity to keep their tips.

I think it would be far more cheaper for a restaurant owner to pay $15 hour and then collect all tips to the house. I would venture to say that isn't going to make it well in the long run, as the wait staff has little incenative to do a good job, to make a better tip. People would stop coming.
All I am saying is the restaurant is not paying much per shift and are making demands that waiters are willing to walk away

Basically, the waiters are working for the customers not the restaurant

it's true the higher wage would likely lead to less tips anyway....the waiter has less of an incentative to serve the best they can....

I would be curious to see a poll of bartenders and wait staff and see if they'd rather have a hour wage or tips. I would venture to say the least experienced would want a higher hourly rate, but the more experienced would want tips.

In many restaurants the servers tip out the busboys.

I know alot about the food industry and no waiter I have ever known wanted to be paid a flat rate with no tips.

I only know a few people personally that have spent much time in the food industry, wife, daughter and BIL.

They all left due to the shitty income and hours. My daughters waited tables to help pay her way through nursing school and it was those sort of jobs that drove her to get her degree and get the hell out of the industry.

All I am saying is the restaurant is not paying much per shift and are making demands that waiters are willing to walk away

Basically, the waiters are working for the customers not the restaurant
what sort of "demands" other then take a order, bring it to the cook, walk the order back and be nice so you can get a good tip. How is that some sort of wild expectation for a waiter?

I don't think they are making any sort of demand that's different then what's expected of a waiter.

Folks just aren't willing to work, it's not just in the food service industry....we are seeing it across the board....the Xiden Fascist cult has made policies that people are willing to forgo work, to sit at home and get that Govt dependence.

This of course has helped create the Xiden hyperinflation mess we are seeing now, it will only get worse until the mid-terms when the Demafascist are voted out and we can put a check on the Xiden cult's regime

My waitress friend makes $200-300 a night.

and if this were the norm, they would not have such a hard time filling jobs.

Also, 200 to 300 a night comes out to about 60 grand a year before taxes. Not really all that amazing of a salary.

I only know a few people personally that have spent much time in the food industry, wife, daughter and BIL.

They all left due to the shitty income and hours. My daughters waited tables to help pay her way through nursing school and it was those sort of jobs that drove her to get her degree and get the hell out of the industry.
Good for her.

But like I said many people do very well in the food service biz.

what sort of "demands" other then take a order, bring it to the cook, walk the order back and be nice so you can get a good tip. How is that some sort of wild expectation for a waiter?
Demands such as the shifts you work
Paying for uniforms
Number of tables
Personal time
Being treated with respect

and if this were the norm, they would not have such a hard time filling jobs.

Also, 200 to 300 a night comes out to about 60 grand a year before taxes. Not really all that amazing of a salary.
Not true.

I know a guy offering over $25 an hour for construction help no experience or tools required and he can't fill out his crews.

Demands such as the shifts you work
Paying for uniforms
Number of tables
Personal time
Being treated with respect
Uniforms? A pair of black pants and a shirt? BFD

And what business doesn't set the shifts you work?

Patrons can help their favorite wait staff by tipping them in cash. Since last year many restaurants are taking 4% of the tips you put on your debit or credit card to pay for your meal.

I think I am a good tipper... always 20% or I just won't go out to dinner. I really appreciate good service, good food and a friendly face. Hat tip to all the servers out there.
When I tip I tip based on the service that the server actually provides and their general attitude. So, if the meal is late or burned or whatever, but it is not the fault of the server, then I don't penalize the server for that. In fact, depending on how they handled it, I might leave a larger tip. I would tip anywhere from zero on up to astronomical percentages based on many different things. I'm not afraid to tip zero.

Just out of curiosity though, how do you feel about leaving tips when doing pick ups where you go in yourself? I will leave a tip if they come out to my car but I leave zero tip if I have to go in and pick up the food. I figure I don't tip a McDonalds counter person so why should I tip a counter person at a real restaurant?

Forum List

Back