Restaurants Paying $2.13 Per Hour Isn't A Living Wage

My wife's cousin and her husband are both waiters and make about 75k a year between them. Their problem is they don't save their tips, they just spend the shit as they go.

I worked at a hotel, not a days inn, but a decent sized Marriott nowhere special really. I had a waitress in the restaurant bitching she got a 30 dollar tip on a 200 dollar bill. The bill was all drinks, all she did was carry glasses from the bar like 15 feet to a table that had 6 people sitting at it. Plus the other 8 tables she had. On a decently busy night they made 250 bucks a night in tips and bitched.

Why do I have to pay for a meal and then pay extra on top of that for someone to carry some plates to my table and fill a glass a couple times? Fuck tipping.

If they don't like it they need to find a new job. Don't ever let a waitress tell you they don't make enough in tips.

Good point.

10% is a good tip, 15% exceptional, and 20% fantastic.

Hell, I tip my doordash person more than 20%. And they all know me now and my food is always first to be delivered so it is nice and hot.

Good point.

10% is a good tip, 15% exceptional, and 20% fantastic.
As a former server, unless you are eating at DQ? 10% is the type of tip you expect from a Europeans coming to America, or the African American community.

:auiqs.jpg:

Hell, I tip my doordash person more than 20%. And they all know me now and my food is always first to be delivered so it is nice and hot.
^ White Male Privilege.

And I'd never bring up that I tip the cashier at the gas station 800% - it would be crass. :)

They can make that much, but how many do?
I don't know if it still is common but in top restaurants in big cities, top servers would bid for the best shifts, all a part of doing business.

Have you ever worked for tips? I have and I made far more than the others working for a straight salary. That was as a young teen. Even with a degree, I learned later in life that I could earn what I wanted by working on commission only. I did that for the next 50 or so years.

Not suited for everyone, many can't live with the uncertainty. They NEED to know that if they work for the week, there will be a paycheck on payday.

^ Raciss. :afro:
Most folks on this site, know, I am anything but.

I am only telling you what reality is. I've worked in the industry, I've seen it. I treated everyone the same, but I know that folks in different subcultures have different ideas about tipping in America. This is just the way it is, these are just the facts.

What’s behind racial differences in restaurant tipping?

What's behind racial differences in restaurant tipping?

Or, is it?

I'm so damn sick and tired of leftists complaining about restaurant's tip wages and the poor things haven't gotten a raise to that base in years and how that is peanuts to live on. I was a manager at Pizza Hut eons ago and most of the full time waitresses made more money than I did.

This article is clickbait.

She never reveals her tips...

Most folks on this site, know, I am anything but.

I am only telling you what reality is. I've worked in the industry, I've seen it. I treated everyone the same, but I know that folks in different subcultures have different ideas about tipping in America. This is just the way it is, these are just the facts.

What’s behind racial differences in restaurant tipping?

What's behind racial differences in restaurant tipping?

It raciss to say you ain't raciss, bra!

^ White Male Privilege.

And I'd never bring up that I tip the cashier at the gas station 800% - it would be crass. :)

Nothing to do with being a white male, if you pay for good service, you normally will get it. They know before they leave what the tip is.

Nothing to do with being a white male, if you pay for good service, you normally will get it. They know before they leave what the tip is.
^ Doubling down on the WMP.

And speaking of doubling down, I hesitate to mention that I double my usual 4000% tip to the Walmart cart fetcher if he DOESN'T say "Have a nice day!"

Because mentioning it would be ever so boorish. :cool:

He's *rejecting status* by indirectly bragging on an anonymous message board about how much he tip cuz he so flush.

Me, I would never mention that I tip 300% because it's vulgar to discuss.
Yes, the 'humble brag', the M.O. of the 'shitlib'.

They absolutely adore pets, lavishing 'those less fortunate' with inordinate levels of reward is 'just giving back'.

Look at me....look at me.

Forum List

Back