Restaurants Paying $2.13 Per Hour Isn't A Living Wage

Or, is it?

I'm so damn sick and tired of leftists complaining about restaurant's tip wages and the poor things haven't gotten a raise to that base in years and how that is peanuts to live on. I was a manager at Pizza Hut eons ago and most of the full time waitresses made more money than I did.

You must not have been a very good manager.

Here's why your argument fails.

Eating out at a restaurant. Any restaurant. Is a luxury, not a necessity.

Everyone can either purchase at a market. Grow. Or hunt for their food, and prepare it at home.

No restaurant is entitled to pay wages that differ from the requirements anyother business is required to pay by state or federal minimums.

No restaurant is entitled to special rules governing employees, that no other business is exempt from.

Any restaurant should be required to play by the same rules anyother business is required to.

If any restaurant can't survive on it's business model under the same rules as anyother business. That restaurant can fail just like anyother business with a business model that doesn't allow it to succeed.

Fuck a restaurant. America would be better off without the majority of them. People should learn how to prepare their own food for themselve's and their families at home. Eating out is a luxury. Period.
Leftist claptrap. Your viewpoints would actually force many small businesses ( the backbone of the country) to close up as they could not compete with the big boys.

When I tip I tip based on the service that the server actually provides and their general attitude. So, if the meal is late or burned or whatever, but it is not the fault of the server, then I don't penalize the server for that. In fact, depending on how they handled it, I might leave a larger tip. I would tip anywhere from zero on up to astronomical percentages based on many different things. I'm not afraid to tip zero.

Just out of curiosity though, how do you feel about leaving tips when doing pick ups where you go in yourself? I will leave a tip if they come out to my car but I leave zero tip if I have to go in and pick up the food. I figure I don't tip a McDonalds counter person so why should I tip a counter person at a real restaurant?

The servers who are bagging your order from Olive Garden or Red Lobster or your fvorite Italian restaurant earn minimum wage..Door Dash and Grub Hub are killing them.

Not sure if that is still the case, but at one point women were paying the owner to work at some bars in places like Florida during the season because the tips were so good. They were basically renting their station.
Interesting thought - not getting any salary and paying for rental space like a hair salon and then you either make as much as you want which is all yours or you also pay a small percentage of tips as well on top of the rent.

This article is clickbait.

She never reveals her tips...
Well, like I said, eons ago I was manager of a Pizza Hut and my full time waitresses made more money than I did. That is not uncommon in the wait business. I also worked as a retail manager at one point and one of my employees had a daughter and several friends who worked at Waffle House and made unbelievable amounts in tips. Waffle House!

Interesting thought - not getting any salary and paying for rental space like a hair salon and then you either make as much as you want which is all yours or you also pay a small percentage of tips as well on top of the rent.

My understanding is that it was usually a nominal hourly rate like instead of getting paid the minimum wage by the owner, that is how much they paid the owner to be able to work there.

Independentthinker
Yup. I know girls who waitress that make big bucks in tips every night. Some as much at $100 dollars a night in tips. Thats ladies that work in bars and restaurants.

If your a good waitress then you will never lack for tips.
Don't forget they make an extra $2.13 per hour on top of that. And, yes, when I was manager at Pizza Hut, many eons ago, even back then my full time waitresses were bringing home $100 per night in tips.

A young guy i know works in the food industry and tends bar , waits tables and acts as a shift manager occasionally.

He makes more per hour bartending and waiting tables than he does when acting as a manager. A lot more.
Back in the day when people lived in caves I was a Pizza Hut manager. I was on salary and had to work at least 46 what they called "red shirt" hours per week. This was generally assumed to be cooking hours in the kitchen as that is what managers did but was not technically referred to as anything but "red shirt" hours. One day I was petrified because waitresses called in sick and I was forced to wait on tables. I actually did a pretty damn good job and, even though it was obvious to the customers that I was the manager, I made some damn good tips on top of my salary. Well, let's just say that my light bulb came on and from then on I worked many "red shirt" hours waiting on tables.

what sort of "demands" other then take a order, bring it to the cook, walk the order back and be nice so you can get a good tip. How is that some sort of wild expectation for a waiter?

I don't think they are making any sort of demand that's different then what's expected of a waiter.

Folks just aren't willing to work, it's not just in the food service industry....we are seeing it across the board....the Xiden Fascist cult has made policies that people are willing to forgo work, to sit at home and get that Govt dependence.

This of course has helped create the Xiden hyperinflation mess we are seeing now, it will only get worse until the mid-terms when the Demafascist are voted out and we can put a check on the Xiden cult's regime

Servers often do prep work and cleaning before their shift.

When I tip I tip based on the service that the server actually provides and their general attitude. So, if the meal is late or burned or whatever, but it is not the fault of the server, then I don't penalize the server for that. In fact, depending on how they handled it, I might leave a larger tip. I would tip anywhere from zero on up to astronomical percentages based on many different things. I'm not afraid to tip zero.

Just out of curiosity though, how do you feel about leaving tips when doing pick ups where you go in yourself? I will leave a tip if they come out to my car but I leave zero tip if I have to go in and pick up the food. I figure I don't tip a McDonalds counter person so why should I tip a counter person at a real restaurant?

When they are packing your pick-up they are making $2.18 an hour. Do you tip Door Dash or Grub Hub?

Patrons can help their favorite wait staff by tipping them in cash. Since last year many restaurants are taking 4% of the tips you put on your debit or credit card to pay for your meal.

I think I am a good tipper... always 20% or I just won't go out to dinner. I really appreciate good service, good food and a friendly face. Hat tip to all the servers out there.
You tip the volunteers at the food bank?

When they are packing your pick-up they are making $2.18 an hour. Do you tip Door Dash or Grub Hub?
I don't use Door Dash or Grub Hub. I don't think you are correct that the person bagging up your to go order is making $2.13. That doesn't sound right to me.

Or, is it?

I'm so damn sick and tired of leftists complaining about restaurant's tip wages and the poor things haven't gotten a raise to that base in years and how that is peanuts to live on. I was a manager at Pizza Hut eons ago and most of the full time waitresses made more money than I did.

Wait Wait ... So Hooters waitresses make more money than Skippy the pimply-faced high school kid who flips the burgers? This cannot possibly be true!! :heehee:

Untitled-design-78.jpg

Forum List

Back