Restaurant Adds Mandatory Tip for Non-English Speakers

Wait staff do not "make out like bandits." This misconception that servers make such phenomenal money is just silly. Sure, on a good Sat night you might come away with $200 for the night, but then you have your Monday nights where you come away with $40. Or a Monday lunch when you come away with $15.

In my experiance of wait staff all over this country..i beg to differ. Wait staff do make out like bandits.

A waitstaffer with 4 tables that turn ever 2 hours, making a 20 tip off of each table. Thats $40 an hour plus wages. Not a bad deal.

If being a waiter was such a bad deal, then trust me they would leave.

EZ claims she made great money even factoring in everything that wait staff whine about.

Been there, done that..........

Not complaining , I made GREAT money while working as a waitress and a bartender.

I really have a hard time with poor tippers. What comes around, goes around. I tip well, and get good service. I wouldn't have it any other way.

It should be the other way round Intense. Get good service and tip well. ;)

Wait staff do not "make out like bandits." This misconception that servers make such phenomenal money is just silly. Sure, on a good Sat night you might come away with $200 for the night, but then you have your Monday nights where you come away with $40. Or a Monday lunch when you come away with $15.

In my experiance of wait staff all over this country..i beg to differ. Wait staff do make out like bandits.

A waitstaffer with 4 tables that turn ever 2 hours, making a 20 tip off of each table. Thats $40 an hour plus wages. Not a bad deal.

EZ claims she made great money even factoring in everything that wait staff whine about.

Not complaining , I made GREAT money while working as a waitress and a bartender.

You have fast and slow day's busy and dead times. There is also a pecking order s to who is on when, and who gets what section or tables. Their wages and Tax Liability is based in part on tips.

I really have a hard time with poor tippers. What comes around, goes around. I tip well, and get good service. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bad Service, I don't return. Their loss. The lowest I would give a bad waiter is 10%. I'm usually over 20%. Maybe it's a NY thing? I'm surprised you are such a poor tipper. :razz:

Bad Service, I don't return. Their loss. The lowest I would give a bad waiter is 10%. I'm usually over 20%. Maybe it's a NY thing? I'm surprised you are such a poor tipper. :razz:

I am actually a notoriously fabulous tipper :)

BUT if a tip is put on the bill for me...that is all they will get and the service better be top notch.

Me, i go for the food not the service. If the service is bad, its their loss.

Personally, I have no problem with this at all. It's a means of attempting to ensure that people actually leave something for the staff even though they come from backwards places like Europe where tipping is not generally the rule of thumb.

Personally, any business that I owned wouldn't have that problem, because on the front door of the establishment would be a sign.... "This is an ENGLISH ONLY facility. If you don't, can't or won't speak it Please Take Your Business Elsewhere."

You do conservatives everywhere PROUD with that attitude!

Make sure you put a sign on the water fountain that says "English Speakers Only" too!

$40 an hour in tips?

Maybe for a sexy chick at a bumping club who knows how to upsell via flirting. If I go to a local diner or Red Lobster and talk about 40 an hour in tips, I'm going to get laughed at.

When I was a waiter if anyone made over $100 on a weekend evening in tips, then ALL the other servers on shift heard about it. :lol:

Kind of surprising that Hawai'i is doing this. From Arizona or New Mexico or Texas, yeah I could see it. But Hawai'i? :confused:

Why not just put something on the receipt, like "Please consider tipping your server. They make less than $3 an hour without your gratuity, and have to put up with a lot of shit throughout the day. Don't be a cheap-ass. Thanks."

Or, just add the 15% to ALL the bills.............

Places do that if there is a party of 6 or more all the time. If they feel their employees are getting stiffed then they can just add it on for all, and people can choose to eat there or not knowing that.

You know something? I have never eaten at a place that does that, but I have to say, that if I did, I would refuse to pay the frigging tip. I'm sorry, a tip is supposed to be a "thank you" to the server for the job they did. It is never supposed to be mandatory. I pay 20% (rounded off) when I go out to eat, but I will be dog-goned if I am going to let a restaurant require a tip.

And if I went into a restaurant and saw that, I would leave and never return.

Immie

But what if they've got the best porterhouse in town? :eusa_drool:

i'm sure you'd be just as for this if europeans did it to trash like you.

It takes an arrogant condescending, witch of a person to refer to other people as trash. It reflects badly on your character.

Most people tip.......but a tip has to be earned not just given because they serve the public. If you choose to work in places where your job is to serve the public, then be GOOD at what you do and you will earn good tips. How simple is that?

Personally, I have no problem with this at all. It's a means of attempting to ensure that people actually leave something for the staff even though they come from backwards places like Europe where tipping is not generally the rule of thumb.Personally, any business that I owned wouldn't have that problem, because on the front door of the establishment would be a sign.... "This is an ENGLISH ONLY facility. If you don't, can't or won't speak it Please Take Your Business Elsewhere."

Best not to open your mouth when you don't know what you're talking about! In most restaurants in Western Europe tipping is not the norm for one simple reason. All bills have a 15% to 20% service charge added. On the rare occassion that a restaurant does not include a service charge, one tips.

Now, what were you saying about backward?

Personally, I have no problem with this at all. It's a means of attempting to ensure that people actually leave something for the staff even though they come from backwards places like Europe where tipping is not generally the rule of thumb.Personally, any business that I owned wouldn't have that problem, because on the front door of the establishment would be a sign.... "This is an ENGLISH ONLY facility. If you don't, can't or won't speak it Please Take Your Business Elsewhere."

Best not to open your mouth when you don't know what you're talking about! In most restaurants in Western Europe tipping is not the norm for one simple reason. All bills have a 15% to 20% service charge added. On the rare occassion that a restaurant does not include a service charge, one tips.

Now, what were you saying about backward?

Based on some of his posts I've read, he'd be happier living in some eighteenth century theocratic dictatorship. Dude's a clown. :cuckoo:

$40 an hour in tips?

Maybe for a sexy chick at a bumping club who knows how to upsell via flirting. If I go to a local diner or Red Lobster and talk about 40 an hour in tips, I'm going to get laughed at.

When I was a waiter if anyone made over $100 on a weekend evening in tips, then ALL the other servers on shift heard about it. :lol:

She is talking about high end places like an Eddie Merlots or Fine Dining.

Trust me, someone that works @ an Appleby's or Red Lobster is NOT going to make 20 bucks a table. Turn over is the key in places like that. And if you have a 4 table section and someone camps at your table all night, then leaves you a shitty tip, it messes up your whole night.

$40 an hour in tips?

Trust me, someone that works @ an Appleby's or Red Lobster is NOT going to make 20 bucks a table. Turn over is the key in places like that. And if you have a 4 table section and someone camps at your table all night, then leaves you a shitty tip, it messes up your whole night.

You mean those fancy-pants places with three forks and their elitist no-shit no-service policy? :evil:

$40 an hour in tips?

For a table of 4 at red lobster what is the average bill?

I am used to seeing them walk with $200+ each on a slow Monday. And they still whined. As far as i can see thats not a bad days pay.

Most people tip.......but a tip has to be earned not just given because they serve the public. If you choose to work in places where your job is to serve the public, then be GOOD at what you do and you will earn good tips. How simple is that?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

$40 an hour in tips?

Even if they make $5 per table, thats $20 an hour.

Tipping is so far from what I think it should be it makes me sick sometimes. A tip should be someone making a personal decision to give someone extra based on good service. It should not be limited to certain occupations or industries, it should not be a necessary portion of someone's income, it should not be a forced charge on a bill. People consider it rude not to tip a waiter/waitress, but not other people involved in service occupations; in fact, some businesses don't allow their employees to accept tips. Tipping is no longer truly connected to service or generosity (if it ever was), it is merely a cultural pressure. If I want to tip someone, whatever service they are providing or occupation they are in, it should be entirely my choice. It should never be expected; the whole idea is a bonus for exceptional service! But because it is woven into our cultural fabric, we have people making below minimum-wage salaries who are reliant on tips, we have these ridiculous 'gratuity charges', it's all meaningless now.

It's probably never going to happen, but I'd love to see our society move away from this concept of mandatory tipping, of expected tipping, and let tipping be just a personal choice based on exceptional service and not limited to any particular industry.

/rant off
:tongue:

Tipping is so far from what I think it should be it makes me sick sometimes. A tip should be someone making a personal decision to give someone extra based on good service. It should not be limited to certain occupations or industries, it should not be a necessary portion of someone's income, it should not be a forced charge on a bill. People consider it rude not to tip a waiter/waitress, but not other people involved in service occupations; in fact, some businesses don't allow their employees to accept tips. Tipping is no longer truly connected to service or generosity (if it ever was), it is merely a cultural pressure. If I want to tip someone, whatever service they are providing or occupation they are in, it should be entirely my choice. It should never be expected; the whole idea is a bonus for exceptional service! But because it is woven into our cultural fabric, we have people making below minimum-wage salaries who are reliant on tips, we have these ridiculous 'gratuity charges', it's all meaningless now.

It's probably never going to happen, but I'd love to see our society move away from this concept of mandatory tipping, of expected tipping, and let tipping be just a personal choice based on exceptional service and not limited to any particular industry.

/rant off
:tongue:

:clap2:

Forum List

Back