Researchers watch for asteroid to sail past earth

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
MISSISSIPPI STATE, Miss. (WTVA) - A massive asteroid is on track to sail past earth this Friday, and NASA officials say we have nothing to worry about.

The rare space event has caught the attention of many researchers, including experts at Mississippi State University.

The asteroid is called the 19-98 QE2, and is estimated to be more than one and a half miles long.

According to one MSU professor, Dr. Donna Pierce, the rock will travel 15 lunar distances from the earth, or 15 times the distance between the earth and the moon.

Experts say the event will allow researchers to gain more information about the asteroid.

"Well, I am excited for my colleagues who do radar studies of asteroids because this provides them with a wonderful opportunity to characterize the size and shape of this particular object," said Pierce.

Experts say the best time for viewing the asteroid, by special equipment only, is shortly before 4 p.m. on Friday.

Researchers watch for asteroid to sail past earth - WTVA.com

Rare? I'm reading about this kind of shit 2-3 times a year and yet the fucking idiots on the right think we don't need asteroid defense. Oh nooo's, we can't be having that, let alone investing for knowledge of our solar system to be able to have a better idea where they're.

Rare? I'm reading about this kind of shit 2-3 times a year and yet the fucking idiots on the right think we don't need asteroid defense. Oh nooo's, we can't be having that, let alone investing for knowledge of our solar system to be able to have a better idea where they're.

HEY - That's MISTER fucking idiot-on-the-right to you, bub.

Matthew, it's passing 3.5 million miles from earth. Vikrant said it is 15 x the distance to the moon (which is 238,855 miles). The exact mileage is 3, 582,825 miles. That's really no where near the earth.

Astronomers will let us know when and if something is headed our way a hundred years in advance. By that time, whatever we built today for such an event would be out of date, rusted, or rotted when needed.

Life has been wiped out at least few times by these asteroids. These threats are real. This all can end anytime. So be nice to each other and do not put off anything for tomorrow.

Matthew, it's passing 3.5 million miles from earth. Vikrant said it is 15 x the distance to the moon (which is 238,855 miles). The exact mileage is 3, 582,825 miles. That's really no where near the earth.

Astronomers will let us know when and if something is headed our way a hundred years in advance. By that time, whatever we built today for such an event would be out of date, rusted, or rotted when needed.

IMO these things still get the jump on us too often. Given the speed of our "Star Wars" advancements, we are probably a generation away from a real warning system I trust.

I would be curious to how the world will face these problems when we do find a city killer en route and decide how to handle them. If it is all U.S. equipment we will get the say I guess?

^ As of today, we do not have technology to defeat the asteroid threat. I hope we will devise a solution before it is too late.

^ It would be more appropriate to say Hollywood has a plan. :)

I think we are long way from devising a solution to defeat a credible asteroid threat. But if we work towards this goal, we may have a solution ready when we need it.

^ As of today, we do not have technology to defeat the asteroid threat. I hope we will devise a solution before it is too late.

It looks like NASA does have a plan. Since 2005...

NASA's Actual Plan to Deflect an Approaching Asteroid

Also why only US tax payers should foot the bill for coping with asteroids? I think every tax payer on the globe should foot the bill. After all, if the earth goes, we all go.

I agree idealy. There may be a couple difficulties though.

First when Anwan in Ethiopia is asked to pay the same $53 to help fund this as me, he may not have it. Second, if that asteroid is coming I will do whatever is needed to save my life weather the guy in Chad or China even thinks about helping.

Third, we may not want to share our technology with our helpers.

But yeah, we shoukd try to get England and whoever we trust to help as much as possible.

Forum List

Back