Republicans notably silent, split as Trump probe deepens

Interesting..I really didn't think the kerfuffle was all that..but as new details come to light and as the DoJ takes aim at both Trump an his legal team--I begin to think that this may be a tipping point.

Pages from a Department of Justice court filing on Aug. 30, 2022, in response to a request from the legal team of former President Donald Trump for a special master to review the documents seized during the Aug. 8 search of Mar-a-Lago, are photographed early Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2022. Included in the filing was a FBI photo of documents that were seized during the search. (AP Photo/Jon Elswick)
© Provided by Associated Press Pages from a Department of Justice court filing on Aug. 30, 2022, in response to a request from the legal team of former President Donald Trump for a special master to review the documents seized during the Aug. 8 search of Mar-a-Lago, are photographed early Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2022. Included in the filing was a FBI photo of documents that were seized during the search. (AP Photo/Jon Elswick)

At first, Republicans were highly critical of the FBI search of Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort, but as new details emerge about the more than 100 classified documents the former president haphazardly stashed at his private club Republicans have grown notably silent.
The deepening investigation into Trump's handling of sensitive government information has disclosed damaging and unsettling new details. With every court filing there is new information about the cache of documents the former president took with him from the White House and the potential national security concerns. While the unprecedented search has galvanized many Republicans to Trump's defense, others in the party are unwilling to speak up, often wary of crossing him.
Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell declined to respond Wednesday when asked about the latest developments in the Justice Department's probe.
"I don't have any observations about that," McConnell told reporters in Kentucky.
The silence speaks volumes for a party whose president won the White House after rousing voters in rally chants of “Lock Her Up!” Trump pilloried Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton for using a personal email account and server during her time as Secretary of State. She quickly complied with investigators and was not charged.

The investigation also is posing a new test of Republican loyalty to Trump from lawmakers who are relying on him for their political livelihoods, particularly ahead of the midterm elections.

I'm not even close to "silent". What are these documents....so what? You realize the govt over-classifies everything, for starters, right? Also. This is another attempt by the DOB/FBI to make this look impressive. Spread the docs out, snap a picture. Like the "nuclear docs" leak.

Newsflash: if you have really impressive info, you don't need these theatrics.

The DOJ/FBI stepped in it and are desperately trying to cover their tracks. But of course, all you understand are ThE WalLs ArE ClosinG In!

I’m totally right. As Patel noted, I’d the staff failed to notify the others involved as to the fact of declassification, that’s a bad thing. But it doesn’t alter the fact of the declassification.

This is a ridiculous lie Trump made up on the spot when he got caught hiding 11 more sets of classified documents.

I'm not even close to "silent". What are these documents....so what? You realize the govt over-classifies everything, for starters, right? Also. This is another attempt by the DOB/FBI to make this look impressive. Spread the docs out, snap a picture. Like the "nuclear docs" leak.

Newsflash: if you have really impressive info, you don't need these theatrics.

The DOJ/FBI stepped in it and are desperately trying to cover their tracks. But of course, all you understand are ThE WalLs ArE ClosinG In!

No one consults you about what should be classified.

Interesting..I really didn't think the kerfuffle was all that..but as new details come to light and as the DoJ takes aim at both Trump an his legal team--I begin to think that this may be a tipping point.

Pages from a Department of Justice court filing on Aug. 30, 2022, in response to a request from the legal team of former President Donald Trump for a special master to review the documents seized during the Aug. 8 search of Mar-a-Lago, are photographed early Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2022. Included in the filing was a FBI photo of documents that were seized during the search. (AP Photo/Jon Elswick)
© Provided by Associated Press Pages from a Department of Justice court filing on Aug. 30, 2022, in response to a request from the legal team of former President Donald Trump for a special master to review the documents seized during the Aug. 8 search of Mar-a-Lago, are photographed early Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2022. Included in the filing was a FBI photo of documents that were seized during the search. (AP Photo/Jon Elswick)

At first, Republicans were highly critical of the FBI search of Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort, but as new details emerge about the more than 100 classified documents the former president haphazardly stashed at his private club Republicans have grown notably silent.
The deepening investigation into Trump's handling of sensitive government information has disclosed damaging and unsettling new details. With every court filing there is new information about the cache of documents the former president took with him from the White House and the potential national security concerns. While the unprecedented search has galvanized many Republicans to Trump's defense, others in the party are unwilling to speak up, often wary of crossing him.
Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell declined to respond Wednesday when asked about the latest developments in the Justice Department's probe.
"I don't have any observations about that," McConnell told reporters in Kentucky.
The silence speaks volumes for a party whose president won the White House after rousing voters in rally chants of “Lock Her Up!” Trump pilloried Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton for using a personal email account and server during her time as Secretary of State. She quickly complied with investigators and was not charged.

The investigation also is posing a new test of Republican loyalty to Trump from lawmakers who are relying on him for their political livelihoods, particularly ahead of the midterm elections.
Back before I retired I used to put together classified documents. When I needed a cover sheet I would just go to the stationery supply room and pick some up. The sheets by themselves are not classified.

A picture of some cover sheets on the floor doesn’t prove anything to me. Perhpas Trump had a stationery cabinet near his office with different cover sheet to put on documents he made that were classified. An FBI agent might have scattered some on the floor and took a picture.

Bullshit. Back up your contention that the files are already declassified.

We all know you're full of shit.
How was Trump able to "steal" them? There has to be some accounting of documents way before the transition date. They just don't dump classified shit into moving bins. They dump irrelevant shit into bins. Some "secret" documents lose their classification upon the completion of an event defined in the original notice, and the original notice becomes irrelevant upon the public disclosure of the event.

There isnt a document in existence that we should go after a president like this for. Nuclear codes? Dont care. Proof of alien existence? Dont care.

Back before I retired I used to put together classified documents. When I needed a cover sheet I would just go to the stationery supply room and pick some up. The sheets by themselves are not classified.

A picture of some cover sheets on the floor doesn’t prove anything to me. Perhpas Trump had a stationery cabinet near his office with different cover sheet to put on documents he made that were classified. An FBI agent might have scattered some on the floor and took a picture.

Trump is classifying fake news now???

No one consults you about what should be classified.
Much of the Russian and Chinese military as an example bears some resemblance to ours. What was classified and what was not and who was involved that got away with these things is not addressed. And then it costs us more to keep ahead of them.

And now? Lol. We’re still mocking the DOJ.

THIS WAS A VERY DUMB MOVE by Brandon and Meritless Garland.
Putting aside partisanship….and any what abouts, doesn’t it concern you that those documents were first, taken by Trump and second, refused to be returned?

That is serious national security information. If it was deliberate, why?

Even claiming it was declassified is still horrible. It means he cared so little (or was dangerously stupid) that he had not problem with those documents becoming publically available even to foreign governments.

This is what I simply cannot understand.

Putting aside partisanship….and any what abouts, doesn’t it concern you that those documents were first, taken by Trump and second, refused to be returned?

That is serious national security information. If it was deliberate, why?

Even claiming it was declassified is still horrible. It means he cared so little (or was dangerously stupid) that he had not problem with those documents becoming publically available even to foreign governments.

This is what I simply cannot understand.

This was deliberate. Some classified documents were in Trump's desk drawer with his passports.

You want to claim that the entire FBI is willing to lie just to unfairly target trump. That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard, and I have read a lot of stupid right wing posts.
That does not excuse the FBI for violating a beloved former President's home and his wife's undies hiding place. Trust me, what the FBI Did to the President Donald Trump's home is far beneath the pale, and whoever prodded them into it is the debil. :eek: Now which Democrat cabal could that possibly be?

That does not excuse the FBI for violating a beloved former President's home and his wife's undies hiding place. Trust me, what the FBI Did to the President Donald Trump's home is far beneath the pale, and whoever prodded them into it is the debil. :eek: Now which Democrat cabal could that possibly be?

Trump is a criminal and a liar. Melania knows that. Trump creates these dramas.

How Odd..Oddball..that all you have is inane chatter..and not a cogent comment. Maybe not so odd--perhaps that's the best ya got~
In the next election, our side will maintain its observance of sneaking in illegal votes until the winners are announced, if that's what it takes to stop the illegal, supplemental fake votes. And you can bet your bottom dollar we will double our backups if you double yours first. The 2020 vote was the devil dancing on air. Really, really hot air, and it will not be allowed in 2022 or 2024 until the American people are heard this time. Your deep staters fooled us once. It's not going to happen to us again. Nor in the future of God's people who will put him back in charge of America, servant of destitute people all over the globe since the day George Washington's army discouraged an out-of-control arrogant monarch who would not listen to George Washington's friends' indignities at the hands of said arrogant monarch whose people are now more agreeable to the dignity of freedom and human rights per the Constitution of the United States of America that we the people love and defend. God loves America, and we are still asking him to bless America, because we know in our hearts He will bless us and keep our focus on his will that all men have rights under the law he blesses as well as ourselves. Go America, Go!!!!

There is no excuse needed for carrying out our laws. The warrant rightfully called for searching trump's living quarters for top secret documents. What do you think is usually found in living quarters? You can't tell what is in a drawer until you open it and look, can you?

Much of the Russian and Chinese military as an example bears some resemblance to ours. What was classified and what was not and who was involved that got away with these things is not addressed. And then it costs us more to keep ahead of them.
And that is why if they come to our territory in a war many will help them. They will take deep blue cities over easily anyway.

In the next election, our side will maintain its observance of sneaking in illegal votes until the winners are announced, if that's what it takes to stop the illegal, supplemental fake votes. And you can bet your bottom dollar we will double our backups if you double yours first. The 2020 vote was the devil dancing on air. Really, really hot air, and it will not be allowed in 2022 or 2024 until the American people are heard this time. Your deep staters fooled us once. It's not going to happen to us again. Nor in the future of God's people who will put him back in charge of America, servant of destitute people all over the globe since the day George Washington's army discouraged an out-of-control arrogant monarch who would not listen to George Washington's friends' indignities at the hands of said arrogant monarch whose people are now more agreeable to the dignity of freedom and human rights per the Constitution of the United States of America that we the people love and defend. God loves America, and we are still asking him to bless America, because we know in our hearts He will bless us and keep our focus on his will that all men have rights under the law he blesses as well as ourselves. Go America, Go!!!!
So much talk about illegal votes, but no evidence of them other than the normal extremely rare incidents that have always occurred in our elections that involve millions of people.

Oh my goodness ... The Establishment Stooge Senate Minority Leader McConnell chose not to say anything.
Wow ... How Establishment Republican of him ... Surprise-surprise he didn't do anything.

Then we have a bunch of unnamed Republicans infighting ,,,
A few named Republicans that are contradictory to the Title of the Article, and their comments ...
Then Democrat Representative Schiff who has been a ringleader in the Circus since 2017, referring to everything as,
And I quote ... "Devastating".

The article was a freaking waste of time to read and is just stupid commentary with no news at all ... :auiqs.jpg:

What a great piece of creative writing....Garland's filing was pure junk....

Let's see what Gregg Jarrett, FNC legal analyst has to say about it...

"I read the court filing and I must say, it is one of the most feeble and anemic arguments by Merrick Garland that I think I've ever read in a court filing," Jarrett said.

"No legal standing to go to court, he claims? My goodness, a first year law student knows that if you're the target of a search and seizure, you have a constitutional right to go to court and argue a violation of the Fourth Amendment to either suppress it or at the very least have a special master review and segregate the material."

"The other part of what was in the court filing by Garland was this crazy notion of obstruction of justice. What is that? You have to prove that a person acted corruptly and with an improper purpose in the United States Supreme Court has narrowed it further and said You have to act immorally with a depraved and evil purpose. Where is evidence of that?" he added.

Jarrett maintained Trump likely had no "corrupt intent" in taking custody of the documents, which the president has said he personally declassified before leaving office.

Critics have also pointed to a 2012 federal court case brought by conservative watchdog Judicial Watch in which Judge Amy Berman Jackson ruled denied access to White House audiotapes President Clinton kept in his sock drawer. The court ruled the records then belonged to Clinton, and Berman Jackson denied the National Archives access to them.

"If [Trump] truly thought he had a right to access and custody of these presidential papers, there's no corrupt intent here," Jarrett said, adding the statutes cited in the DOJ filing require "deliberately, willfully breaking the law."

In regard to a photograph appearing to show records strewn on the floor of Mar-a-Lago next to a box featuring a framed magazine cover depicting Trump, Jarrett said the picture was "prejudicial and gratuitous," and intended as a way to enflame politicization in the media."

This is outrageous...Please tell me you leftists have more than some amateur attempt at using a Federal law enforcement agency to smear a former President because your scared he'll run again?

Forum List

Back