Republicans and science don't mix

Here's an example..Pence claims the NOAA assures us the number of hurricanes the last decade are normal and that there is no difference in intensity over the 100 years. He got it all wrong...Why VP Penceā€™s claim that hurricanes arenā€™t a growing problem isn't right, according to NOAA

Simple issue.. NOBODY can compare hurricanes over the past 100 years.. Let;'s get that straight up front.. Until we had the CRUDEST of weather satellites WE MISSED most of them.. That was only 35 or 40 years ago..

THEN we started catching hurricanes that would SPIN UP to a cat 4 for maybe 3 hours that would NEVER have registered a Cat 4 ever before.. So chill... There's no scientific PROOF of Atlantic or Pacific TOTAL Cyclonic energy differences that's consistent and thorough back to even 40 years ago..

They take SPARSE DATA and ship/shore reports AND GUESS at stuff before then...

Here's an example..Pence claims the NOAA assures us the number of hurricanes the last decade are normal and that there is no difference in intensity over the 100 years. He got it all wrong...Why VP Penceā€™s claim that hurricanes arenā€™t a growing problem isn't right, according to NOAA

I love these links that use unrelated data, to try and prove a point.

The entire article is about hurricanes. Then they post a graph on the bottom, supposedly proving that Pence is wrong, by showing how many we had by year, and showing we're on track for the highest number ever.

But wait.... what does the graph actually say?
Screenshot_2020-10-10 Why VP Penceā€™s claim that hurricanes arenā€™t a growing problem isn't righ...png

Wait......... Billion dollar disaster event frequency?

I thought we were talking about how many hurricanes were being caused by global warming?! (which doesn't even make a point, since everyone acknowledges there is warming, just not that it is man-made)

So when they want to make a graph to prove Pence's statement on Hurricanes is wrong... they simply make it "billion dollar events", instead of..... oh I don't know......... HURRICANES??? MAYBE??

This again, is why conservatives are just better people than left-wingers. You MUST lie about everything, or you would never make an argument about anything.

How many major hurricanes have we had this season? Three. Nine total.

Three major hurricanes, and a total of 9 thus far.

In 1926, we had 8 hurricanes, 6 were major hurricanes.
in 1933, we had 11, with 6 major hurricanes.
In 1950, we had 11 with 8 major hurricanes.

Pence was dead on right, if you actually follow the science.

It's fun to see left-wingers claim to be all scientific, and then just make up whatever they want to believe, and ignore all the data. Fun to watch.

Pence was talking about hurricanes.

NOAA includes:
The report shows itā€™s not just hurricanes contributing to this yearā€™ā€™s $50 billion in direct climate disaster costs. The 16 major events crossing the $1 billion cost threshold included 11 severe storms, three tropical cyclones, one drought, and one major wildfire event.

according to the OP article.

Science and soap have something in common. Did you see the republican militia members who were arrested for plotting to kidnap a governor. Gross

1. You are off topic, but that is usually the case.
2. They were republicans....? Really ? Proof ?

Republicans and science don't mix

Actually, what doesn't mix is Republicans and panic.

Science, is the objective study of the natural world around us. Science doesn't invoke emotion, or sentiment, or doom saying.

Science doesn't invoke arguments to authority. Science doesn't seek power, or control, or is it be used as a way to control the masses.

You hapless, bloviating Yak-- -- you wouldn't know SCIENCE if it came up and punched you in the face. If you think you're such a star at math and SCIENCE, let me know, and we'll gladly put that to the test. By your same standard of reasoning, Earth is having far more near misses by NEOs today when in fact we are only now becoming capable of detecting more of them sooner!

Time was years ago, people had no idea a hurricane was even brewing or existed until a few hours before it washed up on someone's shore out of nowhere!

Last edited:
"War is a science
with rules to be applied.
Which good soldiers appreciate,
recall and recapitulate,

Before they go to decimate the other side."

-- Charlemagne

Science and soap have something in common. Did you see the republican militia members who were arrested for plotting to kidnap a governor. Gross

1. You are off topic, but that is usually the case.
2. They were republicans....? Really ? Proof ?
Heard a report at least one of them starred in a video excoriating Trump. No idea if itā€™s true though.

The entire article is about hurricanes. Then they post a graph on the bottom, supposedly proving that Pence is wrong, by showing how many we had by year, and showing we're on track for the highest number ever.

View attachment 399571

I thought we were talking about how many hurricanes were being caused by global warming?! (which doesn't even make a point, since everyone acknowledges there is warming, just not that it is man-made)

So when they want to make a graph to prove Pence's statement on Hurricanes is wrong... they simply make it "billion dollar events", instead of..... oh I don't know......... HURRICANES??? MAYBE??

This again, is why conservatives are just better people than left-wingers. You MUST lie about everything, or you would never make an argument about anything.

It's fun to see left-wingers claim to be all scientific, and then just make up whatever they want to believe, and ignore all the data. Fun to watch.
Maybe billion dollar event is short hand for 'major'..Cat 3 or higher.

That title is pretty funny, coming from the crowd who thinks there are 71 genders and that human life is human life depending on if its wanted or not. :lol:
Such rebuttals from the right wing are even funnier, seeing as how they don't believe in welfare for individuals or equal protection of the laws for natural born Persons.

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

"War is a science
with rules to be applied.
Which good soldiers appreciate,
recall and recapitulate,

Before they go to decimate the other side."

-- Charlemagne

And SCIENCE has a few political warriors in lab coats just hoping for war... It's true.. Academic science is the primadonna ballerina capital of the intellectual world..

View attachment 399571

Maybe billion dollar event is short hand for 'major'..Cat 3 or higher.

Not in the least. The $bill events keep growing because POPULATION keeps growing near wildland/forest interfaces, coastal areas and flood plains..

What you're missing here is that MONEY is hardly EVER --- a scientific parameter.. Unless you're negotiating a lab budget with management. :up:

Why don't you tell us your background and what you know about science. We can compare.

Funniest course I ever witnessed was "Science and Engineering for Spouses of Scientists/Engineers. My 1st wife saw that course and had to take it.. She got me to sit in on a couple. It was hysterical.. Every lecture was as good as an episode of "The Big Bang Theory".. I've often thought there should be something like that for Liberal Arts majors... A LOT of "Pennys" out there.. Kinda like "Karens"... Only more clueless... :beer:

Forum List

Back