Republican who primaried Trump in 2020 Joe Walsh: "The [Republican] Party Is Not Savable"

It’s an interesting dynamic. One side applauds those on the other side who do not march in lockstep while tending to execrate those on their side who fail to march in lockstep…

Can you name a midterm where the party in the White House, didn't lose large numbers of seats, or control of one or more houses? I can't.
I had to look it up --- Franklin D. Roosevelt gained in midterms after he won his 4th election. Also, George Bush (II) won the midterms after the terrorist attacks on the World Trade buildings. Otherwise, as you say.

I had to look it up --- Franklin D. Roosevelt gained in midterms after he won his 4th election. Also, George Bush (II) won the midterms after the terrorist attacks on the World Trade buildings. Otherwise, as you say.
Good reasonably quick research. I suspect the history of showing reversals in party control of one or both houses during midterms is much greater.

Good reasonably quick research. I suspect the history of showing reversals in party control of one or both houses during midterms is much greater.
Well, universal except for those two examples. One of the most important rules in politics, one source said --- the party in the White House nearly always loses people of their party in the midterms. Hard to account for, IMO. But true.

I take it your point, White 6, is that midterm losses by the party in power simply don't matter because they always happen. And I think you do have reason on your side there. Except during actual wartime or threatened war, the party in the White House always loses players on its side in Congress.

I guess I do know that and what I am REALLY interested in is whether control of the House and Senate (and governorships in states) change party. Because if the Dems are prevented from passing the bad laws and policies that have been going on since Biden got in, that would be very helpful, from my point of view. Also, a big change could stop Dems from appointing more leftwing judges.

No change in the Senate and losing half-a-dozen congresscritters would not be especially useful to the GOP. Change in control of majorities in both houses of Congress is what is wanted, by me at least.

Forum List

Back