"Republican" Brown votes for Job bill and helps dems and America!

Ame®icano;2035009 said:
When nobody was watching? :)

I am not sure, I think along with the last defense bill.

Edit: Here it is. House approves $155 billion jobs bill

From the link:

MONEY FOR CONSTRUCTION, SCHOOLS

The bill would provide $48.3 billion for infrastructure projects that promise to get workers back on job sites by April. Highway construction projects would get $27.5 billion, while subway, bus and other transit systems would get $8.4 billion.

As in the earlier stimulus bill, steel and other products used in these projects would have to come from the United States.

The bill would also help cash-strapped state and local governments avoid layoffs of public employees.

States would get $23 billion to pay 250,000 teacher salaries and repair school buildings, and $1.2 billion to pay for 5,500 police officers.

States would also get $23.5 billion to help pay their share of federal healthcare programs for the poor.

So, in the end, it's not a "jobs" bill per se, but just another bailout of state overspending.

Bipartisan jobs bill clears GOP filibuster

WASHINGTON - A bipartisan jobs bill cleared a GOP filibuster on Monday with critical momentum provided by the Senate's newest Republican, Scott Brown of Massachusetts.

The 62-30 tally to advance the measure to a final vote on Wednesday gives both President Barack Obama and Capitol Hill Democrats a much-needed victory — even though the measure in question is likely to have only a modest boost on hiring.

Brown and four other Republicans broke with GOP leaders to advance the measure. Most other Republicans opposed the bill because Democratic Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada stripped out provisions they had sought and wouldn't allow them to try to restore them.

Bipartisan jobs bill clears GOP filibuster - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

let us remember this folks.....FIVE republicans makes it bipartisan......

oh well.......my point of the thread was the number of repubs, five, that the media calls bipartisan. so i thought to start a thread on what bipartisan actually is.....

Anti education.

Of course, because supporting choice in schools and the federal government staying out of state issues is anti education.

Anti health care.

Because wanting to keep good health care is anti health care

Because no war is good and anytime anyone wants to kill us, or use force to steal, main, and kill us and those we care about, we should just let them us and live under their oppressive rule.

Pro corporations.

Because businesses are all so evil. How dare they provide us with goods and services and make money to provide jobs and salaries for hard working Americans. They have to be stopped!

Anti rebuilding America's infrastructure.

Because clearly the Federal Government should be spending trillions of dollars we dont have to unconstitutionally fix state infrastructure that isn't broken to begin with.

You see, I thought Republicains just wanted to put their party above the best interests of the country, but I was wrong.

Republicans, for some masochist reason, are simply against their own self interests.

Ah of course. You think you know our bests interests better than we do? How is it in my best interest to destroy our health care system? How is it in my best interests for the Federal Government to spend money we dont have for projects we dont need? How does it benefit me or any of my countrymen to tax ourselves out of productivity? How does it benefit me to punish corporations who provide me goods and services and thereby increase the costs for them? How is it in my best interests to have anyones freedom of speech curtailed? How is it in my best interests to give the Federal Government more and more power that was reserved to both me and the State and thereby lose the power to govern myself?

Seriously, how is any of that in my best interest?

Maybe it's time for a few to stop the self flagellation?

Maybe its time for you stop being so arrogant and presuming that you have a clue what's in my best interest. Maybe it's time you stopped pretending that taking away my rights is a good thing.

Maybe they just got tired of "cutting".

Nope. We havent even started cutting yet. But if you give us a chance. We will cut the deficit and budget back to it's Constitutional restraints.

oh well.......my point of the thread was the number of repubs, five, that the media calls bipartisan. so i thought to start a thread on what bipartisan actually is.....

I am amazed by the naivete of the average American.

Bi-Partisan looks good for Obama. Therefore, Republicans will do whatever they can to appear to be against EVERYTHING he does, while still benefiting from the bills. They'll vote against bills that they want to pass, as long as they find enough sacrificial lambs to get it passed. Hence why so many Republicans vote against bills with their own earmarks in them.

This is not just a Republican thing - it's a Democrat tactic too - but Dems are in power now. When Republicans are in power, the Democrats will do the same thing (or if not the same, equivalent).

The fact that there are only 5 Republicans voting for this bill is interesting only because that's one more than needed - which means that at least one of the 5 is attempting to send a message that he (or she) is open to bipartisanship.

This is how politics really works.

The funny thing here is that Brown delivered the slap upside the head of the Democrats heard 'round the world....he beat the most liberal Senator in history...the Liar....err...Lion of the Senate.

The bill includes a tax credit for businesses that hire unemployed workers

Hey...there's a novel idea put forth by the Democrats...hire people looking for jobs!!!! Brilliant!!!!! :booze:

Bi-Partisan looks good for Obama. Therefore, Republicans will do whatever they can to appear to be against EVERYTHING he does, while still benefiting from the bills. They'll vote against bills that they want to pass, as long as they find enough sacrificial lambs to get it passed. Hence why so many Republicans vote against bills with their own earmarks in them.

This is not just a Republican thing - it's a Democrat tactic too - but Dems are in power now. When Republicans are in power, the Democrats will do the same thing (or if not the same, equivalent).

The fact that there are only 5 Republicans voting for this bill is interesting only because that's one more than needed - which means that at least one of the 5 is attempting to send a message that he (or she) is open to bipartisanship.

really.......so then you will of course admit the authorization for use of force in iraq was bipartisan....

really.......so then you will of course admit the authorization for use of force in iraq was bipartisan....

Oh, of course.

The funny thing here is that Brown delivered the slap upside the head of the Democrats heard 'round the world....he beat the most liberal Senator in history...the Liar....err...Lion of the Senate.

The bill includes a tax credit for businesses that hire unemployed workers

Hey...there's a novel idea put forth by the Democrats...hire people looking for jobs!!!! Brilliant!!!!! :booze:

Yeah, let people keep $3,000 of their money if they spend $40,000. Im sure businesses are going to jump on that.

I feel pretty good... he shut down the horrible Democrat health care bill.

And yet you claim victory on some small committee vote?

hahah.. jokes on you.

I understand he isn't a Reagan conservative. If his only accomplishment in politics EVER is shutting down the Dem healthcare bill.... I am ok with that.

He shut down the healthcare bill? Really? ok..

Oh and speaking of that, we are going to use 51 votes....lol Wait for it, wait for it....

Oh so you're admitting that Obama has no intention of actually listening to any plans the Republicans have and his whole health care summit is a sham?

Who exactly is rejecting bipartisanship?

Here is my thoughts on that. He gave up. He gave up on bi partisanship and this meeting will be a sham. He will pass this, look like he gave you a chance to meet up with is for the last time and do what we wanted all the time.

You will opose anyplan we put on the table. You have proved this over and over, so reconciliation it is.

Fuck Bipartisanship. You say, drop everything, build a plan we want then we will become bipartisan? Screw that, WE WON.

51 Senators is all we need. Oh and welcome Mr. Brown. (I said it from the beginning, he is pro choice, is for gay rights and never ran as a republican......and you guys cheered when he won? LOL).

Health Care companies made 12 BILLION dollars this year. Partly by raising rates nearly 40% and partly by cutting insurance for 2.7 MILLION Americans. The number one cause of bankruptcy are medical bills.

And yet, these people, the least educated, the Republicans, the most in need of health care say "Thank Gawd, we defeated health care". Don't ya just love it? Couldn't ya just die? Quickly?

What is that as a percentage?

New U.S. senator helps Democrats advance jobs bill

Republican Scott Brown joined four other Republicans, 55 Democrats and two independents to overcome a procedural hurdle that sets up a final vote later this week.

"I hope my vote today is a strong step toward restoring bipartisanship in Washington," he said in a statement.

The bill includes a tax credit for businesses that hire unemployed workers, subsidies for state and local construction bonds and $19.5 billion to shore up a highway-construction fund.

Much of the cost is offset by a crackdown on offshore tax shelters.

UPDATE 1-New U.S. senator helps Democrats advance jobs bill | Reuters

I knew this "Republican" who never ran as a republican, who is pro choice and is for gay rights would help us Dems out.

Republicans, when you were screaming victory when Mr. Brown won in Ma, how do ya feel now? LOL Dino! :)

i voted for him because i thought he'd do the right thing whichever party it came from.

looks like i was right.

you were saying...

I feel pretty good... he shut down the horrible Democrat health care bill.

And yet you claim victory on some small committee vote?

hahah.. jokes on you.

I understand he isn't a Reagan conservative. If his only accomplishment in politics EVER is shutting down the Dem healthcare bill.... I am ok with that.

Oh and speaking of that, we are going to use 51 votes....lol Wait for it, wait for it....

Political suicide. If it wouldn't do so much harm to the country I would suggest you all go for it.

If President Obama does not go for it, he will lose the support of his base.

And it will do the nation nothing but good if we pass this on a majority vote. Your kind screamed, mewled, and puked about Social Security. About MediCare. About the Civil Right Bills of the '60s. And about anything at all that has helped the American Citizen.

Political suicide. If it wouldn't do so much harm to the country I would suggest you all go for it.

If President Obama does not go for it, he will lose the support of his base.

And it will do the nation nothing but good if we pass this on a majority vote. Your kind screamed, mewled, and puked about Social Security. About MediCare. About the Civil Right Bills of the '60s. And about anything at all that has helped the American Citizen.

is it just me or is it warm in here?

:eusa_whistle:

What rdummy likes to do is only yell about certain parts of the data... ignoring that the profit margins and %'s for the insurance companies are not very high... and then likes to interject emotion as his other reasoning, while forgetting that the personal responsibility of the individual is on the individual, not a burden of society or government

Health Care companies made 12 BILLION dollars this year. Partly by raising rates nearly 40% and partly by cutting insurance for 2.7 MILLION Americans. The number one cause of bankruptcy are medical bills.

And yet, these people, the least educated, the Republicans, the most in need of health care say "Thank Gawd, we defeated health care". Don't ya just love it? Couldn't ya just die? Quickly?

What is that as a percentage?

We will pay 18% of our GDP this year for health care, and not cover tens of millions of American Citizens. And hundreds of thousands of American Families will go bankrupt because of medical bills.

Japan, and most of Europe pay half that for their medical care, and all citizens are covered. And the number of families going bankrupt is zero.

Aren't you proud of the system that you so fervently defend?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVgOl3cETb4]YouTube - "We're Number 37" - Paul Hipp[/ame]

Let me know if he votes for Health Care. Otherwise, I dont really care.

That sums up my feelings exactly. He is from the Northeast, I don't expect him to vote like he is from Utah. He represents his state of Massachusettes. He had 4 other Republicans with him as well, it's not as if he's a lone wolf out there.

Me too

Who could imagine a politician voting like their own constituents want them too?

Forum List

Back