Reps Lauren Boebert & Matt Gaetz both say they'll nominate Trump to be Speaker Of The House when (if?) the GOP take back the House in 2023

That’s why I asked. Vague memory. It sounds absurd. Has there ever been a Speaker of the House who was NOT an actual Member of Congress?
It's never happened, but constitutional Scholars recognize that it is certainly possible.

And note my edit about the bill recently introduced by democrats, entitled "Bill to require speaker of the house to be a member of the House." They are worried about it, for obvious reasons.

That’s why I asked. Vague memory. It sounds absurd. Has there ever been a Speaker of the House who was NOT an actual Member of Congress?

FYI:

"Regardless, the Speaker—who has always been (but is not required to be) a House Member and has the same duties to his or her local constituents like the other 434 Members—is at the levers of power."

Yes. Speaker of the House is not required to hold a seat in the House of Representatives.

In fact, the Dems recently proposed a bill entitled "Bill to Require Speaker of the House to be a Member of the House," obviously concerned about a potential Trump Speakership (and Biden/Harris presidential vacatur)

Such a bill would be a waste of time I think, although its presentation shows much the libs are frightened by the 75 million little Trumpsters.

After all, can one Congress pass a rule that would tie the hands of future Congresses like this and impose these new rules? Could a bill be passed limiting the presidency to those under 80 or over 40? Or pass a bill allowing those born in Kenya or Slovenia to be considered "native born" for eligibility?

Speaker is a constitutional position.

According to constitutional scholars the Speaker does not have to have an elected seat in the House
Yep. I though I remembered that. I have since looked it up. It’s because the Constitution itself is silent on that point. Apparently it just didn’t dawn on the Framers that any House might ever consider anointing a non-House Member as Speaker.

For that matter, it similarly doesn’t restrict the Speaker to being a citizen of this Republic. So the logic would appear to support the ability of the House to name the Queen of England as the Speaker of the House.
Excellent point, I see no restriction on US Citizenship

But it would be a big mistake for either political party to name a speaker who was not a member of the House.

Disagree. Republicans holding back from doing things because of this mentality is exactly why the Dems are ALWAYS beating Republicans to the punch on everything. Republicans are always reacting, never being proactive.

it would have been worse under Biden. Just look at how he is incentivizing illegal aliens to swarm into this country, with COVID.

Biden has f’d everything up - just as Obama said he would - and you think he could have gotten a handle in COVID? You’re funny.

Obama got a handle on Zika and Ebola using the Pandemic Handbook.

Making Trump Speaker of the House would eliminate a battle over the presidency, benefiting both Trump
and DeSantis.

Disagree. Republicans holding back from doing things because of this mentality is exactly why the Dems are ALWAYS beating Republicans to the punch on everything. Republicans are always reacting, never being proactive.
because Conservatives aren’t tyrants like leftist are

While liberals are hoping conservatives will just wise up the hard right is trying very hard to kill us. Liberals really have to idea of the peril we face should Trumpism get full control of the government.
Progs are pushing are near pushing Pedophile relationships. Who is trying to kill you or anyone else. At some point they will do it to themselves.

"Progs are pushing are near pushing Pedophile relationships. Who is trying to kill you or anyone else. At some point they will do it to themselves.
---------------------------------------------------
Uh oh!
Houston, we have a problem.
We don't speak Klingon.
Can my avatar ask for help in translation?

Forum List

Back