Replacing a catalytic converter

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
I'm gonna do this job on one of my cars in the next few days.

Anyway. It seems to me that you have to submit yourself to basically the same style of government shenanigans and scrutiny that you have to deal with to buy a new plinker in order to scrap your old cat.

As usual, it's the law abiding folk who get run through the wringer because of the criminals.

It's coming off a pre OBDII V8ystem so I had considered scrapping it and recuperating some revenue. It's pretty big. And original.

But. Here's the new law they just passed....

House Bill 296 has made it mandatory for scrap metal processors to record every purchase of articles listed as scrap metal. This will include the following:

• Date and time of purchase
  • Type and grade of scrap metal
  • Weight of each type and grade
  • Registration plate number, make and model of the car
  • Name and address of the seller
  • Signature of the seller
  • Signature of the processor
  • Copy of identification
  • Photo of the seller
  • Name of the person making the record
  • Photo or video of the articles

Pft. Kiss my ass. lol.

It's going in the trash...

Last edited:

Anyway. It seems to me that you have to submit yourself to basically the same style of government shenanigans and scrutiny that you have to deal with to buy a new plinker in order to scrap your old cat.

As usual, it's the law abiding folk who get run through the wringer because of the criminals.

It's coming off a pre OBDII V8ystem so I had considered scrapping it and recuperating some revenue. It's pretty big. And original.

House Bill 296 has made it mandatory for scrap metal processors to record every purchase of articles listed as scrap metal. This will include the following:

• Copy of identification
  • Photo of the seller

Pft. Kiss my ass. lol.

Straight pipe it. We don't have vehicle inspections here.

Once that stopped, it doesn't matter anymore here.

Actually I did put one on, (myself, Durp!) but I had an air leak and it burned up the guts of the catalytic converter.

Which was probably brass or gold and it got red-hot and shots sparky guts of it out the tailpipe. Oops!

• Copy of identification
  • Photo of the seller

Pft. Kiss my ass. lol.

/---/ Wanna bet the junk yards already have a work around on this stupidity?

Actually I did put one on, (myself, Durp!) but I had an air leak and it burned up the guts of the catalytic converter.

Which was probably brass or gold and it got red-hot and shots sparky guts of it out the tailpipe. Oops!

No way it'll go through emissions here, Duke.

That's what a lot of the fellers said to do over on the vette board, but they live in states where classics don't have to go through emissions inspection.

And I'm not gonna put an Antique tag on it. The only time you can drive it tagged that way is if you're going to a club event or to a show or a parade . Can't Legally drive it on the roadways for regular use with an Antique registration.

• Copy of identification
  • Photo of the seller
It is probably to deter thefts. Big business in Cali.

Some metal scrapper will appreciate that.

Yeah. I forgot about him. There's a guy and his wife who come through here with a pickup truck and loads up all of the appliances and whatnot that people toss.

I think I have his number some place. Maybe I'll give him a call and he can turn it over. He could probably use the money.

If it weren't for the principle of the matter, I'd do it.

Last edited:

• Copy of identification
  • Photo of the seller

Pft. Kiss my ass. lol.

Somebody just gonna take it outta yer trash.

Platinum.

Don't you guys know anything?

Somebody just gonna take it outta yer trash.

Usually, yeah. But we don't really get trash pickers around here.

pknopp gave me the idea of calling the scrap metal guy that comes through here, so I'm just gonna give him a call and tell him I'll have it whenever he comes through here again.

• Copy of identification
  • Photo of the seller

Pft. Kiss my ass. lol.

That's because meth heads were cutting them off of fleet vehicles in parking lots with cordless sawzalls and

scrapping them. There's some precious metal in catalytic converters, and aluminum.

I know a couple people it's happened to in their employee parking lot.

Go to go home and all of a sudden the vehicle is hella loud. And the muffler pipe before the muffler

was hitting the drive shaft, so that has be tied up with something.

That's because meth heads were cutting them off of fleet vehicles in parking lots with cordless sawzalls and

eeeyep. In under a minute from what I was reading. I was reading where one theft ring was literally making millions from it. Dunno how true that was, though.

Supposedly the older imports have the most platimum in em. So if they were making that kind of money, they must have known which ones to hit.

I suppose that a professional thief would do their homework and know.

eeeyep. In under a minute from what I was reading. I was reading where one theft ring was literally making millions from it. Dunno how true that was, though.

Supposedly the older imports have the most platimum in em. So if they were making that kind of miney, they must have known which ones to hit.
It sucks you can't scrap something that's yours without jumping through 10 hoops because of thieves. SMH.

Forum List

Back